Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Been a While  (Read 2048 times)

• Offline Mike2411   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    398
    • Topic Author

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Black 2016 TTSE
    • City / Town: Ojai
    Been a While
    on: Dec 02, 2016, 10.16 pm
    Dec 02, 2016, 10.16 pm
    Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've posted here. I still have my black 2016 TTSE, just haven't had the opportunity to ride it as much as I would like on the account I have been in-between jobs and have been working from home. I get out every-once-in-a-while but not everyday liker I do when I'm working for a company. I was just offered a job yesterday, North of me in Santa Barbara, and will begin riding daily again. This commute will be to the North instead of South, as before, so this commute is waaaayyyyy better in EVREY way! I did ride yesterday (first ride in 2 weeks) and took the back roads. I was hitting the twisties pretty hard and actually scraped pegs...first time on this bike! Felt great!

Since I am going back to work and will be commuting again, what is your take on the best bags for our panniers? I'm referring the soft bags that would fit inside the hard case.

Thanks guys and still loving my Trophy!

Mike

• Offline RPDATA

• Trophy Pro  ‐    125

Offline RPDATA

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Whitby, ON
    Re: Been a While
    Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2016, 05.59 am
    Dec 03, 2016, 05.59 am
    I think your best bet are the Triumph pannier liners. They are really well made and fit the space perfectly. I've  traveled across the country a couple of times and spent weeks in and out of hotels. No issues at all.

• Offline john348   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1524

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
    • City / Town: Farndon
    Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2016, 09.14 am
    Dec 03, 2016, 09.14 am
    Depends on what you want to carry?  I use a kreiga backpack with an extra liner (air padded) out of an old backpack to protect the laptop better.  The only thing to look out for is that it has lots of straps that can get caught.  In the closing.  It will fit in top box or pannier.

• Offline thumper

• Trophy Pro  ‐    139

Offline thumper

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: So Cal
    Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2016, 11.47 am
    Dec 03, 2016, 11.47 am
    I considered texting you last weekend.   Glad to hear the $$ update.      :047:

There's still a Hassano's hamburger waiting for you way north of Ojai, in my neck of the woods.     :821:

Merry Christmas!!    :190:
    ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander

• Offline Bludy L   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1692

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
    Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2016, 01.19 pm
    Dec 03, 2016, 01.19 pm
    Welcome back and congrats on the new job.

I have the Triumph pannier bags and they work just find. However sometimes I just throw stuff in one of those canvas grocery bags and they work too.
    My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

• Offline GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1297

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2016, 02.32 pm
    Dec 03, 2016, 02.32 pm
    *Originally Posted by Bludy L [+]
    Welcome back and congrats on the new job.

I have the Triumph pannier bags and they work just find. However sometimes I just throw stuff in one of those canvas grocery bags and they work too.

+1.  I do like the Triumph fitted bags though, very classy.

You have a wonderful part of the World to ride in, PCH on your doorstep, and a wonderful climate.  I think the TTSE was built with your locality in mind.

Love, light and kindness,

Dave
    Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline janfmiller   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    930

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Was: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
    Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2016, 04.25 pm
    Dec 03, 2016, 04.25 pm
    I like to use several small bags in each case.

On my TTSE the right case has a compression sack with electric/warm gear which I NEVER EVER remove ( being from the Frozen North ), a light zipper bag with my clothing, and my shaving/toiletry bag. 

The left case has a zipper bag with tire repairing equipment, another toiletry-size bag with extra tools and repair stuff I always carry on a trip, a draw-string bag with my Jetboil and coffee-making stuff, another draw-string bag with various camping supplies, and my rolled up half-chaps. 

My top case is similarly organized with a compression sack for gloves, another for tie down straps, another holds my raingear, etc.  Tank Bag similarly with zip-lock bags.
    Makes it easy, you just pluck out what you need.

I've had many bikes with removable cases, but have never used them that way; never removed them and brought them into a hotel unless it was pouring rain.

Also, the best and easiest bags I used IMHO were made by Krauser, and fit many different bikes with mounting kits, similar to Vetter fairings ( I had the same Vetter and Krauser set on 3 different bikes for over 20 years).

What I loved about them was they were rectangular and thus easy to pack, and mostly because the lids were shallow, so when you opened your topcase on the sidestand, half your stuff did not want to slide out and fall on the ground!!!  ( are you listening, Givi???)
    1977 Suzuki TS-185
    1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
    2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES NON-DCT

• Offline Mike2411   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    398
    • Topic Author

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Black 2016 TTSE
    • City / Town: Ojai
    Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2016, 06.00 pm
    Dec 03, 2016, 06.00 pm
    Thank you for all the feedback guys! I really appreciate it and it is nice going into the New Year knowing work is going to be there...what a blessing! I'm going to get some of the Triumph bag liners for the bike and possibly one for the top case so, again, thank you!

Regarding the area I live and ride in, perfect for the Trophy, so many options! I'm just happy it's North and not South. South takes me closer to Los Angeles and even though still on the bike (which is better than any day in a car), it is Los Angeles and not the most appealing place to ride. I'm really looking forward to the commute! Just think beautiful sunsets and beach pretty much the entire way. Or, a twisty mountain pass t and then the beach...great either way!

Thumper, funny you were going to text me because I was going to text you when I returned from my ride the other day, but the day got away from me. I am MORE than ready to join you for burgers so just give me the word...I'll go anytime I can buddy! Oh, BTW, the road you and I were on when we first rode, the twisties that took us back down the grade and into the Ojai Valley is where my pegs lost their, 'virginity'...LOL!

Now that I'll be back on the bike on a daily basis, I will definitely be back on the forum and joining in on the conversations more often. I'm looking forward to that, I enjoy the back-and-forth with all of you! I will probably start riding the Trophy in the rain now that I'm going that direction. First, it tends to rain up there a little more that it does here and, second, the traffic coming home from Santa Barbara is some of the worst...on a dry day! A rainy day on HWY 101, coming home in a car, would be a NIGHTMARE :005:! I'd rather get a little wet and have to clean the bike daily than sit in that parking lot for hours just to travel 35 miles home! The only 'downer' about the commute is that it's not further! BUT, for those days that I want the long ride home, there's North another 40 miles to Solvang, through the beautiful wineries and then the long, curvy, and beautiful trip home along Hwy 33 and over Pine Mountain...that would be a great ride!

I have my 10K service coming soon and just put a brand new set of PR4's on her, they feel really good!

Oh, and I picked up a new Shoei Neotec which is AMAZING! I thought the mid-range helmets I wore before were good but that Shoei...the best! I'll never go back to anything else!

Anyway, that's the latest and greatest so stay safe, have fun, Merry Christmas to everyone...and you know Santa's ticked because he's on a sleigh and we're on the Trophy :745:!!!

tweedy-bunch