Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Oil Leak  (Read 5737 times)

• Offline Zebraranger   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    430
    • Topic Author

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
    Oil Leak
    on: Dec 03, 2016, 04.01 pm
    Dec 03, 2016, 04.01 pm
    Yesterday I was running an errand (short 20 miles round trip) and when I got to my destination, I noticed oil specs on my right boot. So I took a look around and saw a little oil trail between the clutch cover and the crankshaft cover, but couldn't see much with the plastics in place. I had the same thing happen last year, so this is the 2nd oil leak that I've had on the right side. Last year it was just loose secondary clutch cover bolts, no biggie, just re-torqued to specs and cleaned it up. So I headed home this time and preceded to remove the plastics on the right side again. This time I traced the leak to the crankshaft cover and the fairing foam panel insulation was soaked with oil.

Again, it was loose bolts. All eight of the crankshaft cover bolts were extremely loose. Bolts number 1, 4, 5, & 6 were so loose that I could turn them with my fingers. So I tighten all eight in sequence to 11 NM per the service manual, replaced the plastics and I'm about to take it out for a test spin this morning. I just wanted to post this experience because if you ever have the plastics off, you might want to check these cover bolts as a couple of others here in the past have also reported oil leaks due to loose cover bolts.
    In this photo, you can see the oil soaked foam insulation strip.

• Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro  ‐    490

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro
    Re: Oil Leak
    Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2016, 11.13 pm
    Dec 03, 2016, 11.13 pm
    Checked every fastener on my bike at the 20,000 check up since the plastic and tank was off. I had a lot of fasteners that were loose especially on the engine. Torque wrenches got a good workout that day.

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2016, 03.52 pm
    Dec 05, 2016, 03.52 pm
    I wonder... they have to be vibrating loose, right? They can't possibly be coming from the factory like that? Also... the PDI is supposed to check that kind of stuff at the dealer before you get it, so... again, vibrating loose?
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro  ‐    213

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy A1
    • City / Town: Simonstone, Lancs
    Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2016, 06.17 pm
    Dec 05, 2016, 06.17 pm
    Mine is booked in for it's 20K mile service on the 6th Jan. I have already requested that they look at re-routing the cable harness which prevents the bars from staying to the right. Looks like I should also ask them to check the engine bolts all over too (I have already had the clutch cover bolts re-tightened after they came loose). :003:
    At least the engine is quite quiet so far. :002:
    Pacific Blue Trophy A1
    Honda Bros 650 (since import from Japan in '95)
    History (best of):
    KE125, CB250T, DT400, GS425, GS650G, XR200, CB900F2, FJ1200, K1200RS

• Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro  ‐    490

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro
    Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2016, 06.59 pm
    Dec 05, 2016, 06.59 pm
    *Originally Posted by AZBob [+]
    I wonder... they have to be vibrating loose, right? They can't possibly be coming from the factory like that?

You wanna bet? I spent 25 years in QA and test department of a heavy truck factory. When it came to bolts and fasteners that were not torqued properly they were loose 90% of the time. Very rarely had to deal with an over torqued fastener unless it was broken which most were. Our critical process tooling was tested and calibrated regularly to make sure the proper torque was being applied, but when they were off it was always to the light side. Personally I would rather have under torqued fasteners that I can torque properly instead of over torqued fasteners that have been stretched and may break when they have to be removed. I'm not fond of repairing the damage caused by over torqued fasteners whether it be factory or some ham fisted mechanic  :233:

• Offline Gar   ca

• Trophy Pro  ‐    417

Offline Gar

• Trophy Pro
    • Rise up and live your life.
    • Bike: 2013 Blue TTSE
    • City / Town: Pincher Creek
    Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2016, 09.54 pm
    Dec 05, 2016, 09.54 pm
    If my bolts are over torqued, is it too late to loosen them up and apply the proper torque? In other words is the gasket wrecked now and I'd be better off just leaving them as is if it's not leaking?
    Yamaha 550 Vision, Ninja ZX1000R

Garanthor

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2016, 04.40 pm
    Dec 06, 2016, 04.40 pm
    *Originally Posted by NavyDad [+]
    You wanna bet? I spent 25 years in QA and test department of a heavy truck factory. When it came to bolts and fasteners that were not torqued properly they were loose 90% of the time. Very rarely had to deal with an over torqued fastener unless it was broken which most were. Our critical process tooling was tested and calibrated regularly to make sure the proper torque was being applied, but when they were off it was always to the light side. Personally I would rather have under torqued fasteners that I can torque properly instead of over torqued fasteners that have been stretched and may break when they have to be removed. I'm not fond of repairing the damage caused by over torqued fasteners whether it be factory or some ham fisted mechanic  :233:

Well, it's definitely a better situation if they're loose from the factory rather than vibrating loose -- once torqued properly they should stay tight. And yes, totally agree, rather have loose than over-tight fasteners.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro  ‐    490

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro
    Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2016, 07.09 pm
    Dec 06, 2016, 07.09 pm
    Mine were still tight at the 40,000 check up which was actually done at 43,000.

tweedy-bunch