Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: 'No USB Device' displayed sometimes.  (Read 8068 times)

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121
    • Topic Author

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    'No USB Device' displayed sometimes.
    on: Dec 06, 2016, 04.42 pm
    Dec 06, 2016, 04.42 pm
    Anyone else getting the 'No USB Device' message come up after starting the engine? The only way I can get the stick to play is to physically unplug it and plug it back in again.

I'm guessing that it's a gremlin in the radio system itself rather than a file/USB stick issue because all the songs play back fine afterwards and indeed from engine start up some times. I am seeing the 'low battery' message on start up too, some of the time so maybe it's got something to do with that??

Apart from disconnecting all power to the radio for a while (hoping for a reset) I can't think of anything else to try. 

• Offline Stelyn   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    931

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
    Re: 'No USB Device' displayed sometimes.
    Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2016, 04.48 pm
    Dec 06, 2016, 04.48 pm
    *Originally Posted by earthman [+]
    Anyone else getting the 'No USB Device' message come up after starting the engine? The only way I can get the stick to play is to physically unplug it and plug it back in again.

Yep, frequently,  like you remove and re-insert it and it then works..... :187:   
    `Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

• Offline gfxmonkey   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    562

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TROPHY SE
    • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
    Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2016, 07.38 pm
    Dec 06, 2016, 07.38 pm
    I always get the low battery warning when starting up, it disappears when moving off and I use my bike everyday so its not the charge.

• Offline earthman   gb

• Topic Author

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2016, 08.08 pm
    Dec 06, 2016, 08.08 pm
    *Originally Posted by gfxmonkey [+]
    I always get the low battery warning when starting up, it disappears when moving off and I use my bike everyday so its not the charge.

That message soon deletes itself on my bike to, what annoys me the most is that the radio is switched off/volume reduced greatly. If the battery were truly on it's last legs, fair enough but it's not. Just like the TPMS  battery situation, Triumph have done a poor job I feel.

• Offline earthman   gb

• Topic Author

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2016, 04.37 pm
    Dec 09, 2016, 04.37 pm
    *Originally Posted by Stelyn [+]
    Yep, frequently,  like you remove and re-insert it and it then works..... :187:

Have you tried doing anything to try and solve the issue?

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10074

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2016, 10.16 pm
    Dec 09, 2016, 10.16 pm
    Check the cable connection is clean and tight on the back of the USB Socket -
    they can sometimes get disturbed when the Glove box is removed.

You need to remove the Glove Box to access it ( just one screw outside and one inside ),
    then lift it up while pulling to the rear of the bike to disengage the forward lugs from their rubber grommets.

The USB Cable has a plug that "snaps" into place - held on by a shiny silver steel spring clip.
    ( Very similar to the front Indicator light bulb wiring plugs ).

The silver spring is pressed IN to the side of the moulding to release it.
    ( Don't pull it out and ff the moulding - "Sods Law" says you will drop it somewhere inaccessible !  :138: )

Pull the plug off, then re-insert it making sure the spring clip clicks into place,
    and holds the plug onto the back of the socket securely.  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Jan 01, 2021, 10.09 am by Coconut

• Offline earthman   gb

• Topic Author

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2016, 10.39 pm
    Dec 09, 2016, 10.39 pm
    Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't really think about checking the USB wire/connection itself because it does actually work/play a fair percent of the time.

I've tried a couple of things like selecting different modes before turning the ignition key off, all is fine when I turn the key back on, USB starts straight back up or I can select it from FM or where ever. The trouble starts only after hitting the starter button, again not every time so I'm thinking that it's more of an internal power/software issue??

• Offline DonTom   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    2016

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
    • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
    Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2016, 12.57 am
    Dec 10, 2016, 12.57 am
    *Originally Posted by earthman [+]
    Have you tried another USB drive?  I had a problem like that in my pickup truck radio. Moving the music to a new drive fixed it.

-Don-  Reno, NV
    1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

tweedy-bunch