Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Coolant fluid leak  (Read 16057 times)

Offline 47BarnsleyLad66

• Trophy Member
  • 47BarnsleyLad66
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13TriumphTrophySE
  • City / Town: Parksville,BC
Coolant fluid leak
« on: June 11, 2013, 02:22:53 pm »
I could smell antifreeze when I got home from a 3hr none stop ride the other day,so I was searching for the leak,removed the tupperware,and found it had leaked from the cap of the expansion tank which is grey in colour and hard to see the level,could not get the rubber cap to fit on properly,so removed it and did aliittle filing around the top as it looked out of shape,this tank is not well made or white so you can see the level, like the one on my ST1300,anyway made the cap fit good,and we,ll see what happens next time out.

Offline Broom

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
Re: Coolant fluid leak
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 12:58:50 am »
I rode mine all day to a hotel. Went in to get a room and returned to the bike 5 minutes later. There was about a tablespoon of antifreeze on the ground under my bike. When on center stand, the level in the reserve tank was slightly below the lowest mark. Rode it about 400 miles home the next day with no trouble. I wonder if they get hot and a little fluid expands over/out.

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 10:26:11 am »
Mine spat out some (about the same) after a spirited run when the temperature was red hot ( well about 18 degC).  Not seen it again or before.  I did read a post about the cap not fitting well.  I am sure it is just expansion.  I will find out in France in July where it will, probably be hotter!

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 06:46:16 pm »
Guys
According to the service bod at my local dealer this issue is a common with Triumphs  :087: :087:
I bought some coolant to top mine back to the top mark, after talking to this guy and explaining that at times I get a smell of hot coolant he said that they seam to find a level that their happy at and become no further problems  :005: :005:
This in no way stops me checking before every ride but he's right it has settled down in the middle between the two marks. :084: :084:

Keep checking but I no longer worry about it :062:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline GPL95928

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 12:07:31 am »
I rode in stop and go traffic for 45 mins yesterday, 85F, the temp indicated 2 bars about normal, no overflow.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 12:26:13 am »
In this Texas heat the instrument panel shows more bars that I would like but there is no evidence of coolant loss or overheating.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline petetatt

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 06:34:22 am »
Mine peed some coolant out onto a gas station's floor on sunday, while filling up. I was on my way down to Laguna Seca for the MotoGP.
She's three days old.
I checked the level. She was on the min mark.
Looked like it was coming from high up on the engine. Definitely wasn't leaking from the filler cap.

Anyway, I bottled out, turned around and took her home (i was about 20 miles from home at that point). Jumped on the FJR and took off again for Laguna Seca.
Later that evening, checked the coolant level again. Still at min - hadn't lost any more fluid taking her home.
Topped up the coolant to the max mark.
Rode her to work today - 13 miles there, 13 miles back. No leaks.

Was this just a one-off?
I'll call the dealer tomorrow. See what hey say.

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 10:48:19 am »
Ummmm. I guess I ought to start checking my levels now and again.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

tweedy-bunch