Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Radiator drain plugs  (Read 12466 times)

• Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Pro  ‐    196
    • Topic Author

Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Altrincham, Cheshire
    Radiator drain plugs
    on: Jan 04, 2017, 05.21 pm
    Jan 04, 2017, 05.21 pm
    Put the Trophy in for a service and MOT on Tuesday, get a phone call in the afternoon to be advised that the coolant needs changing, should have been done last year but because it went to Triumph for a cylinder head upgrade, the coolant was changed in 2014, the bike is a 2012 SE, gave the ok for job to be done, I then get another phone call an hour later to advise me that the radiator drain plug is knackered, the mechanic went to unscrew the plug with a screwdriver and the plug and mount game away from the rad.   :110:
    Service chap said they will get in touch with Triumph as they thought this was a fault with the radiator, Triumph asked for photo's, they replied this afternoon, said not our problem its corroded that's why its failed, service chap says there is some corrosion near the drain plug, but not around the plug, I have spoken to Triumph, they told me the same thing, also that the bike was 18 months out of warranty, so words to the effect not our problem.  :157:
    Have spoken the service chap, told him to order new radiator, he's ordered one but charging me cost price + vat for it, he has said he isn't happy with Triumph either.
    So it might be a good idea to check radiator drain plugs on early trophy's.  :110:
    Last Edit: Jan 04, 2017, 05.25 pm by Grubloon

• Offline greenduck1966

• Trophy Pro  ‐    213

Offline greenduck1966

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: trophy se
    • City / Town: hornchurch
    Re: Radiator drain plugs
    Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07.20 pm
    Jan 04, 2017, 07.20 pm
    Thanks for the heads up on this,think i will just pull bottom rad hose of when i do mine.
    assumption  is the mother of all f~~~ups

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10059

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08.28 pm
    Jan 04, 2017, 08.28 pm
    A new Radiator Retails at just over 480.00 and even at Cost Price it's going to hurt !   :012:

Definitely one to keep an eye on, and Thanks for the "Heads Up"  :169:   :028:

Last Edit: Nov 15, 2020, 08.11 pm by Coconut

• Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Pro  ‐    196
    • Topic Author

Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08.46 pm
    Jan 04, 2017, 08.46 pm
    Was given a price of  I think it was 275 + VAT, I was just walking into the dentist when I got the call from the dealer, so had no pen to write it down, and I am assuming  the dealer will cover the labour,   :745:  and as we all know assumption is the mother of all f#*k ups, so I'm not holding my breath.  :164:

• Offline skiprat

• Trophy Pro  ‐    121

Offline skiprat

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2012 Trophy A1
    • City / Town: Middlesbrough
    Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2017, 11.22 pm
    Jan 04, 2017, 11.22 pm
    So maybe 330 to replace radiator at cost , it must be possible to have it repaired even if only blanking the hole off for a fraction of that price unless it is very oxidised in that area, will you ask for the replaced radiator back?

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    959

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08.45 am
    Jan 05, 2017, 08.45 am
    If only the manufacturers would use grease when they assembled their vehicles, owners lives would be much simpler. And cheaper. That appllies to all, whether if be cars or bikes, British, Italian or Japanese.

• Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Pro  ‐    196
    • Topic Author

Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07.14 pm
    Jan 05, 2017, 07.14 pm
    I will be asking for the radiator back.
    I am also wondering why am I liable for the cost of replacement, if I had knackered it fair enough, how do I know the mechanic used the correct tools, strikes me that he would have had to put some pressure on the drain plug to undo it for the lot to come adrift, because if it was that corroded why had it not failed under pressure, or at the least leaked.
    Also why has it corroded so badly in 4 years, seems there are more questions than answers.  :187:

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07.28 pm
    Jan 05, 2017, 07.28 pm
    *Originally Posted by greenduck1966 [+]
    Thanks for the heads up on this,think i will just pull bottom rad hose of when i do mine.

Aye, that's what I've done on other vehicles, always pulled the hose.