Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: 2016-GPS vs Smart Phone  (Read 8370 times)

• Offline JohnD

• Trophy Pro  ‐    134
    • Topic Author

Offline JohnD

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: T Trophy
    • City / Town: Ulverstone Tasmania
    2016-GPS vs Smart Phone
    on: Jan 07, 2017, 08.15 pm
    Jan 07, 2017, 08.15 pm
     Hi All,
    Its' been a while since I have sent a post but just returned from a big trip to Adelaide from here in Tasmania  (one of the best motorcycling destinations in the world)
    My family were trying to get me to use a smart phone instead of my GPS ...a bit confused I found this article which answers the many questions. Also read the comments from experienced users. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/smartphone-vs-satnav-should-you-buy-a-dedicated-gps-device/ (ftp://www.makeuseof.com/tag/smartphone-vs-satnav-should-you-buy-a-dedicated-gps-device/)

• Offline DaMonk45   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    278

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: TEX
    • City / Town: Houston
    Re: 2016-GPS vs Smart Phone
    Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2017, 10.14 pm
    Jan 07, 2017, 10.14 pm
    First that article is over a year old. Tech changes so fast that some of it is simply out of date.
    The concern about memory was valid a year ago, but now you can get a 64 gig sd card and slip it in for some place around $25 bucks.

Kyocera Brigadier phone are tough and long lasting. Water resistant, dust resistant, vib resistant and all of the other stuff for about 100 bucks. That is unless you do as I just did and got the Kyocera Duraforce XD as both my phone and my maps, and all the other stuff it can do. I wanted the PRO version but it was not available on my carrier. Did I mention its a HUGE screen? Not everyone is comfortable with using their phone on their handlebars. I stuffed in a 64 gig SD card and loaded all the United States maps and a TON of music. Its like painting the parking lot at wal-mart with a case of spray paint.

You will of course need a mount for it. I would suggest a RAM setup. The bike will fail LONG before the ram mounts fail.

You will also need a usb charger, you can wire them into your battery or switch, or where ever you want, Plug in the phone and you are set. Price varies by how much you want to spend.

They only checked a couple of aps. They did not look at CoPilot, Locus or OSMAND.
    Those are the 3 that I use most often. Each has its strong points and weak points. Where I am going, and what kind of trip I am planning tells me which one I will use. Each have maps already downloaded so no cell connection is needed. I use my home WI FI to set them up and downloand the maps I need. If I come to another state and dont have the map, I find a starbucks and use their free wifi to get the proper map.
    Locus Maps cost a couple of bucks and are updated I think every quarter. Or there are several places you can get maps free.
    OSMAND+ Maps are free with the paid version, and updated once a month.
    CoPilot are updated once a year I think and free, when you buy it.

The paid version of Locus and OSMAND I think are both under 20 bucks
    CoPilot with the maps was 20 bucks. Its been a while but you can check both Locus and OSMAND for free and if you like them you can then spend your money on them. I am not sure about CoPilot.

All of these aps will use a gpx file no matter where it was from CoPilot wants a TRP file but it is simple and easy to convert a gpx to a trp.

There are many, many, many more options out there both for phones and for apps. These are the ones that I know about.
    I will never go back to a Garmin unit of any sort.

Yes it works with gloves.
    No, I don't need cell service.
    Yes, I can see it in broad daylight.

In any city I use WAZE, which needs cell service, Not to mention is is a data and power hog.

Last Edit: Jan 07, 2017, 10.35 pm by DaMonk45

• Offline RC51Ryder

• Trophy Member  ‐    26

Offline RC51Ryder

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2017, 07.20 pm
    Mar 21, 2017, 07.20 pm
    I read that article and Iím solidly in the dedicated GPS camp for motorcycling.  Mainly because Iíve been out riding in rural areas where there was zero cell reception (dangerous, I know) so using my phone to try and find my way home was out of the question.  I had a clear view of the sky so my GPS had no problem pointing me back to civilization.  Secondly, in areas where I do have reception, I want to save my battery for calls, texts and possible scenic pictures instead of GPS mapping.  I know you can wire your phone to your bike but I donít see the point when you can have a ďcleanerĒ install with a GPS.  Others might think differently but thatís my $.02

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4878

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2017, 09.10 pm
    Mar 21, 2017, 09.10 pm
    I'm in the dedicated GPS camp. The only other thing I wish I had, and may yet have, is a Spot or DeLorme locator and emergency message device.  Phones out here in the Texas Hill Country are annoyingly unreliable.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Mike2411   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    398

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Black 2016 TTSE
    • City / Town: Ojai
    Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2017, 10.59 pm
    Apr 26, 2017, 10.59 pm
    Sorry, coming in a little late here but I have tried both and tend to stick with phone and Google Maps as opposed to the dedicated GPS (I have the ZUMO 390LM but am not using it).

First, I can plan a route using Google Maps "100 times faster" than I can using Garmin's Basecamp software (That is some really painful software to use)!

Second, Google Maps now allows you to create a route and then load it for "offline" use. If you lose signal while riding the "offline" mode will kick in. The only thing it won't do in "offline" mode is re-route or give you traffic updates but as soon as you get signal it'll swith to "online" mode.

So, Google Maps is the way to go IMHO and now if only I can figure out how to get the phone's audio to work using the bike's audio cable :023:!! I plug the cable into the phone but when I activate Google Maps I get nothing in the way of audio :233:!!!

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2017, 11.36 pm
    Apr 26, 2017, 11.36 pm
    *Originally Posted by Mike2411 [+]
    First, I can plan a route using Google Maps "100 times faster" than I can using Garmin's Basecamp software (That is some really painful software to use)!

Try Furkot.com. It uses Google maps, but it's a tool to create trips, so once you set the route, you can explore for places to stay, gas, restaurants, etc. You can tell it how much you want to ride in a given day, when you want to ride until (i.e. time), the range of your bike, and it can automatically figure out gas stops, sleep stops, etc. Of course, you can change any of the calculated stops and routes. Then when you're done, you can download the gpx file so you can load it onto your GPS. I just did a first pass for a 3,000 mile trip I'll be taking in September and it was relatively painless. I used it for my 2,800 mile trip last year with good result.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline Mike2411   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    398

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2017, 11.40 pm
    Apr 26, 2017, 11.40 pm
    Hmmm, now I'll have to try it. I "HATE" Basecamp and won't use that again...EVER! Not when Google Maps makes it sooooo easy now! But, for the sake of using something I spent money on, I will give your suggestion a try. Thank you AZBob :821:!

• Offline Mike2411   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    398

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2017, 12.04 am
    Apr 27, 2017, 12.04 am
    It's funny...I was reading through an old post on "GPS vs. Phone" and something in that post made me laugh. Someone mentioned that with dedicated GPS they could be in any city, anywhere, and type an address into the GPS unit and it would locate it for them. I'm going to assume the GPS unit referred to was either a Garmin or TomTom (I'd think that's a pretty safe assumption)?

Here's what made me laugh. I have a Garmin Zumo 390LM that was purchased with the bike in May of 2016, so things aren't old by any means, and the Zumo/maps are kept up-to-date. I was using my Zumo regularly in the beginning because it was new to me and I thought it was really cool until I typed in 2 different addresses and it didn't locate them, ZERO information in the system for those 2 addresses...my HOUSE and my OFFICE :138:!!!!!!!!!!!  Both places are in areas that aren't difficult to find and are not in the sticks somewhere where mail and supplies are "air dropped" in :745:!

Google Maps and my phone are what I use...they work! I still have an address to "type in" that my phone can't find!

tweedy-bunch