Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Relationship between inseam and seat height  (Read 4296 times)

• Offline rinkhsk

• Trophy Junior  ‐    8
    • Topic Author

Offline rinkhsk

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 1200se
    • City / Town: Woodbine, NJ
    Relationship between inseam and seat height
    on: Jan 10, 2017, 08.51 pm
    Jan 10, 2017, 08.51 pm
    I just bought a 13 Trophy1200se.  It has a corbin seat.  I am 5'9" 160 lbs.  The existing corbin seems like it would be comfortable for someone taller than myself.  My pants inseam is 31"  of maybe 30.5".  I'm asking for some guidance here. Will the OEM high heated seat be too high for me?  Last September I was in Las Vegas Nevada, where I rented a 2012 model.  The wife loved it, which is why I bought the 2013.  I think it had its original seat, which for me was dreadful.  Without a doubt the worst part of the bike.  So now I'm looking for a seat.  I'm thinking about the high seat if I can handle it.  Anybody out there who has a similar build to me with experience with the high seat?

• Offline Zebraranger   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    430

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
    Re: Relationship between inseam and seat height
    Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09.04 pm
    Jan 10, 2017, 09.04 pm
    Congratulations on the Trophy. I have a 30.5 to 31" inseam and I had to use the low seat on my Trophy SE. I couldn't flat foot with the high seat.

• Offline Zebraranger   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    430

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
    Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09.08 pm
    Jan 10, 2017, 09.08 pm
    I might add that not being able to flat foot on this bike could be a big problem as its very top heavy, lean it over too far at a stop or crawl and you wont be able to stop it.

• Offline Gar   ca

• Trophy Pro  ‐    417

Offline Gar

• Trophy Pro
    • Rise up and live your life.
    • Bike: 2013 Blue TTSE
    • City / Town: Pincher Creek
    Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09.17 pm
    Jan 10, 2017, 09.17 pm
    I have the same 30.5" to 31" inseam. Dropped the bike by 1 inch with Lust lowering links (a definite must and simple to do job)  :169: , placed standard comfort seat on lowest setting and I can now flat foot it. That said I also got an RDL seat which is so much better than even the stock comfort seat, but now I'm on the balls of my feet again when I come to a stop (plus I have to slide forward to get around the "wings" on the RDL seat) but I'm really happy with the bike now. I use it almost exclusively for long hauls but if I were driving it in the city I'd switch back to the stock comfort seat. Hope that helps.   
    Yamaha 550 Vision, Ninja ZX1000R

Garanthor

• Offline Donk

• Trophy Pro  ‐    195

Offline Donk

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: WI & FL
    Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2017, 01.15 am
    Jan 11, 2017, 01.15 am
    I tried the Triumph comfort seat for a while.  I have a 30" inseam and while I couldn't flatfoot the bike I was comfortable on the ball of my foot.  I have since switched to a stock (low) seat I had Sargent Seats redo and it's heaven!  Price was very reasonable too.

• Offline jesse64

• Trophy Member  ‐    81

Offline jesse64

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2015 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Scottsdale
    Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2017, 01.45 pm
    Jan 11, 2017, 01.45 pm
    I have the same inseam.  I was ok with the stock low seat and could pretty well flat foot.  The wife hated the stock back seat because it angles down toward the front and she would slide forward all the time.  I ordered a corbin and it was much taller and wider so I could no longer even get close to flat footing and I didn't feel safe with it.  I had to send the corbin back along with pictures of me on the bike with that seat and they remade it.  I now love it.  It's the same height as the low stock seat and the rise behind me was moved forward so it fits me perfectly.  Not sure how they did that from pictures.

• Offline ZShyster   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    332

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
    Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02.51 pm
    Jan 11, 2017, 02.51 pm
    Rinkhsk,

Welcome.  :401:

I am about your size with a 29-30 inch inseam, however I also have knee issues that required I use the highest seat.  I found the Corbin comfortable and high enough for knee comfort, this presented me being on my toes at stops.  The solution I found was to install the Lust Lowering Links and push up the fork tubes approx .55 inches.  This provided me a comfortable seat and seating position together with the ability to plant both feet firmly on the ground.  Here is where I described what I did.

https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,713.msg50571.html#msg50571   

There are a number of posts with suggestions on how to install these links.

For comfort on long rides I use the Airhawk cushion with the Corbin as it does get a little firm after 3 or 4 hours.

Ride safe.   :821: 

ZShyster

• Online Phil   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    478

Online Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: London
    Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06.10 pm
    Jan 11, 2017, 06.10 pm
    Am I the shortest block on the forum.  I have has inside seam of 29",  and struggled with the standard seat when I first got the bike.  I put the Lust lowering kit on and brought the Triumph lower seat. Together they made about 2" difference and I felt much happier even though I still could not get my feet flat on the ground.  And, yes, I've  had stationary drops as a result. 

So Now, as well as the lower gear I make sure I am prepared for every stop.  When slowing and I know I 'm going to have to stop, I shift my weight over and my backside over, usually to the left,   so I can maintain rear brake.  Before I come to a complete stop, probably when I have about 12" left to roll, I lower my left leg, dangling just above the ground.  As the bike stops it naturally leans  to the left where my left leg is ready to take the weight. 

I have not dropped the bike since.  Of course, this only works when you have time to plan.   It might not work with an emergency stop  but, thankfully I have not been caught out on an emergency stop for a man years.   :028: