Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: The dead battery issue is everywhere  (Read 5155 times)

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4774
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    The dead battery issue is everywhere
    on: Jan 18, 2017, 03.46 pm
    Jan 18, 2017, 03.46 pm
    This from another forum about a dead battery:

"OK it's my bike we are talking about. It has had no electrical add on's in 2 years. The battery was replaced last May and I had no problems until last Nov when the battery started to go south. I hooked up testing equipment from work. Battery low recharge, starter draw good & alternator good. Recharged battery. Left sit for week. Battery low Had to jump & recharge. Each time I would check battery it said low recharge. I sent it back to where I got it. They said battery test good and sent it back. Reinstalled battery last night & noticed a small spark when I hooked up the negative wires to the battery. Here are list of electrical add on's. Clearwater lights,extra rear brake light,front turn signal lites have been made to stay on when bike is running (RJW GTL & I have same set up & he has no problems) Different horn,Fuze block,quick plug for battery charger & hook up plug for heated gear. The only thing the runs through Fuze block is the heated gear. I make sure nothing is left in the aux plugs when bike is shut off. I have even removed the NavV just make sure it doesn't draw power. Ok batter up, who can solve this problem. Side note this problem may have been the root cause to the original battery failure last winter."

I'm wondering if the usb sockets on some vehicles are 2A sockets and if so, are they remaining energized with the ignition off.  My understanding is that that capacity usb is to allow the use AND charge of a device plugged into it and they draw a small amount of current when not in use.  That according to a company that sells waterproof usb sockets for motorcycles and other outdoor equipment along with a caution about installing one directly to a battery on a piece of equipment that will be parked for an extended time.  I know there are a lot of electrical smarts on this forum and this doesn't apply to our bikes in particular, but could it apply on other equipment of ours and our friends.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Re: The dead battery issue is everywhere
    Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03.59 pm
    Jan 18, 2017, 03.59 pm
    My bike cannot sit for more than about 9 or 10 days or else the bike will run the battery down below nominal charge.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline Gar   ca

• Trophy Pro  ‐    417

Offline Gar

• Trophy Pro
    • Rise up and live your life.
    • Bike: 2013 Blue TTSE
    • City / Town: Pincher Creek
    Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04.25 pm
    Jan 18, 2017, 04.25 pm
    Something is wrong with your system AZBob. My bike has been sitting in the garage for almost  three months now with temps dropping as low as -37 C and yet I started it up no problem last night so a friend could hear what my new exhaust sounded like. My battery is about two years old now and has never had a problem since I did the Bluetooth firmware update. I was contemplating hooking up the battery minder this weekend just to be safe.
    Yamaha 550 Vision, Ninja ZX1000R

Garanthor

• Offline cropbiker   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    4934

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
    • Midlands biker
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Worcester
    Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04.31 pm
    Jan 18, 2017, 04.31 pm
    Likewise, on my original battery from purchase March 1 2013 so nearly 4 years old now. Been stood for a little over 2 months in my garage and started first go this last weekend when I got to go out.
    Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2017, 05.07 pm
    Jan 18, 2017, 05.07 pm
    My PDM60 draws 50mA because it has a constant-on circuit, but that's good to know that if I turn that circuit off, the battery will last a few months.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9765

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2017, 05.14 pm
    Jan 18, 2017, 05.14 pm
    trophied,

May I suggest you get the Member of that other Forum to sign up to THIS Forum !  :169:

They will then be able to access all the information about the Audio Software update
    that was released to solve the Battery drain problem for US & Canadian Export Trophy models  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Nov 15, 2020, 08.06 pm by Coconut

• Offline janfmiller   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    931

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
    • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • Bike: Was: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
    Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2017, 05.15 pm
    Jan 18, 2017, 05.15 pm
    My bike is almost stock electrically speaking, but there was an issue with the radio firmware that would cause a dead battery overnight, I DID have that issue but the firmware upgrade fixed it.

That is documents in Coconut's excellent list of issues and fixes.

I drive my TTSE at least once a week normally, but if any of my bikes are going to sit more than 2 weeks I always put a battery tender on, good for battery life..

( Ha, Coconut, you posted just as I posted, in my past working life we called this a Deadly Embrace... )
    Last Edit: Jan 18, 2017, 05.17 pm by janfmiller
    1977 Suzuki TS-185
    1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
    2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES NON-DCT

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9765

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2017, 05.23 pm