Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Disc 12Volt tyre pump  (Read 4293 times)

• Offline Phil   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    463
    • Topic Author

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: London
    Disc 12Volt tyre pump
    on: Jan 28, 2017, 09.09 pm
    Jan 28, 2017, 09.09 pm
    I have bought two Disc tyre pumps and both have failed after a few months.  I don't have too many tyre to inflate but due to back problems I find it difficult to use a manual foot pump and found the Disc so much easier.   However, I can't keep buying new ones every few months so, does anyone have a recommendation and to a good, reliable electric pump.   I thought about a motorised air compressor but as I know so little about such things I was hoping for a bit of intelligent advice from the Trophy forum.

kper :020: :020:

• Offline Bobbya   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    164

Offline Bobbya

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy se
    Re: Disc 12Volt tyre pump
    Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2017, 09.21 pm
    Jan 28, 2017, 09.21 pm
    *Originally Posted by Phil [+]
    I have bought two Disc tyre pumps and both have failed after a few months.  I don't have too many tyre to inflate but due to back problems I find it difficult to use a manual foot pump and found the Disc so much easier.   However, I can't keep buying new ones every few months so, does anyone have a recommendation and to a good, reliable electric pump.   I thought about a motorised air compressor but as I know so little about such things I was hoping for a bit of intelligent advice from the Trophy forum.

kper :020: :020:I bought a michelin one off eBay, not the cheapest but it is powerful, it did keep blowing fuses until I realised to keep it running while putting it on or off the valve,since then no problem,.
    I am innocent☺!!

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9752

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2017, 10.57 am
    Jan 29, 2017, 10.57 am
    I had a Mini 12volt tyre inflator that I bought from a Supermarket for less than 10.

At that price you can't go far wrong and it had a power cable that was long enough
    to plug into the accessory socket inside the Top box and still reach the front tyre !

Too big to fit in the under the seat stowage box of a Trophy SE,
    but there was always a bit of room in one of the panniers or top box.

It had a gauge on it, but I preferred to use a seperate tyre pressure gauge that I knew was accurate.

Have a look on eBay - seach for "Compact tyre inflator" - there are lots !

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Nov 15, 2020, 07.48 pm by Coconut

• Offline Verdun95   fr

• Trophy God  ‐    2818

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
    • City / Town: by CDG Airport
    Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2017, 02.41 pm
    Jan 29, 2017, 02.41 pm
    Personally I've bought this one, that I always carry in one of the panniers or in the tank bag. I've already used it a few times for my own good or for some friends, it's very effective: https://www.louis.de/en/artikel/airman-tour-air-compressor-inclusive-adapter/10002998

An old biker must be a good rider

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    941

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2017, 04.45 pm
    Jan 29, 2017, 04.45 pm
    I have a couple of these for my bike and car. No doubt they wouldn't last long in a tyre house, working all day, everyday, but ideal for the once or twice I have needed them. 11-49 with free postage and it fits in the storage area under the seat for those of us who dont need to listen to sing something simple as we ride. (Sing something simple. A programme on the wireless for the older generation who like gentle melodies from their youth at the turn of the last century)

ebay reference 232130014060

No connection to the company

• Offline Mustangpilot   nl

• Trophy Pro  ‐    148

Offline Mustangpilot

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: TT
    • City / Town: DH
    Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2017, 06.43 pm
    Jan 29, 2017, 06.43 pm
    [quote authort=Verdun95 link=topic=6682.msg81778#msg81778 date=1485700915]
    Personally I've bought this one, that I always carry in one of the panniers or in the tank bag. I've already used it a few times for my own good or for some friends, it's very effective: https://www.louis.de/en/artikel/airman-tour-air-compressor-inclusive-adapter/10002998
    [/quote]
    I have owned and used the Airman pump for about 2 years. Excellent product and it fits in my underseat storage compartment (non SE Trophy) together with a tyre/tire plug repair kit and the tool kit.
    2014 Lunar silverTriumph Trophy
    2016 Bonneville T120 Black

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2017, 11.07 pm
    Jan 30, 2017, 11.07 pm
    I have this guy: http://www.dynaplug.com/inflator.html (you can get it for less on Amazon).

I can't say I use it regularly as I have a full-size air compressor in my garage, so I use that, but I have used it on the road and it has worked fine. The problem with the small air compressors is they get really hot, so you need to give them ample time to cool down or else you risk drastically reducing their lifespan, which is why I like this one because it has a fan to cool the motor.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline Phil   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    463
    • Topic Author

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: London
    Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2017, 09.13 am
    Jan 31, 2017, 09.13 am
    I think a full size air compressor in the garage is the answer.  I appreciate all the responses but still really none the wiser.   I note that fact that 12v pumps get hot during use but I only check six tyres at a time (Car + Bike Sometimes my push bike) and I would have thought a pump should be able to handle that without too much trouble. 

Cheers

kepr