Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Decision Time  (Read 6866 times)

• Offline threeup   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    288
    • Topic Author

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE - Black
    • City / Town: Nantwich
    Decision Time
    on: Feb 08, 2017, 05.36 pm
    Feb 08, 2017, 05.36 pm
    My TTSE (pre-launch model - lowest VIN of this model) is still a joy to ride. However a visit today to my local dealer has given me a decision to make. Do I get a new one!??

They have a brand new blue one - that is the wrong colour as SWMBO thinks the silver one looks smaller and the Blue one "looks too clumsy". The dealer has a tame paint shop who can alter the colour to whatever I want for a sensible price - I could even go for British Racing Green (will that look as "clumsy" as the blue , or White (will that always look grubby??). I could have another colour but I am undecided on which at the moment.

As Triumph only have blue ones at the moment and do not appear to be doing much else with the Trophy currently it leaves me in a quandary :084:. Not least because having the lowest VIN, while not being worth much at the moment, is unusual at least. I will be sorry to part with this one but the opportunity to get a new one is attractive, especially if I can find someone to buy this one

I have looked at the alternatives and they do not appeal:
    • BMW - wider, lighter but expensive to maintain and to buy in the first place
    • Yamaha - narrower and appealing, but the screen adjustment is "buried" in the menu
    • Kawasaki - rapid depreciation
    Now got Black TTSE
    Used to have Pre-Launch Trophy - lowest recorded Trophy VIN
    Why Threeup? Me, SWMBO and her bear (Fredbear)

• Offline Zebraranger   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    430

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
    Re: Decision Time
    Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2017, 05.44 pm
    Feb 08, 2017, 05.44 pm
    I loved the silver color of the TTSE, I think Coconut has a photo of one in BRG. I think in BRG, it would be the best, and also rare. I had a Sprint ST in BRG and that color got a lot of comments.

• Offline cropbiker   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    4934

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
    • Midlands biker
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Worcester
    Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2017, 05.53 pm
    Feb 08, 2017, 05.53 pm
    How about a Candy Red metallic.....

also someone on here had their Trophy resprayed in Caspian blue that was available on the Sprint and looked great
    Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

• Offline GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1309

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2017, 08.41 am
    Feb 09, 2017, 08.41 am
    *Originally Posted by threeup [+]
    My TTSE (pre-launch model - lowest VIN of this model) is still a joy to ride. However a visit today to my local dealer has given me a decision to make. Do I get a new one!??

They have a brand new blue one - that is the wrong colour as SWMBO thinks the silver one looks smaller and the Blue one "looks too clumsy". The dealer has a tame paint shop who can alter the colour to whatever I want for a sensible price - I could even go for British Racing Green (will that look as "clumsy" as the blue , or White (will that always look grubby??). I could have another colour but I am undecided on which at the moment.

As Triumph only have blue ones at the moment and do not appear to be doing much else with the Trophy currently it leaves me in a quandary :084:. Not least because having the lowest VIN, while not being worth much at the moment, is unusual at least. I will be sorry to part with this one but the opportunity to get a new one is attractive, especially if I can find someone to buy this one

I have looked at the alternatives and they do not appeal:
    • BMW - wider, lighter but expensive to maintain and to buy in the first place
    • Yamaha - narrower and appealing, but the screen adjustment is "buried" in the menu
    • Kawasaki - rapid depreciation

Interesting dilemma.

How many miles does your current bike have?

I went from a silver '13 bike to a '16 Black Bike.  Glad I did too.  I had about 35,000 miles on the '13 version, it was due a big service and tyres so a 6,500 cost to change looked good value.

I agree with your other bike review, except the Kawasaki GTR1400 is not juts rapid in depreciation; it's rapid full stop!

I only have 16,000 miles as she approaches her first birthday and only had the one issue of a pixelated dash on purchase which was changed at 1,000 mile check, other than that had a joyous time with her.

Good luck with your choice.

Love, light and kindness,

Dave
    Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline threeup   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    288
    • Topic Author

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE - Black
    • City / Town: Nantwich
    Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2017, 09.19 am
    Feb 09, 2017, 09.19 am
    I have 29,700 on the clock at the moment (I do between 7,000 and 9,000 a year usually)

The bike appears to be going well, just a few niggles:
    • The automatic adjustment of the pads means that if I go out in the wet (at least that is when this seems to happen) the bike behaves well until the following day or later when I try to get it out of the garage. The brakes appear to have stuck on. Very hard to move it without the engine. Not really a problem as I park it facing out so I just fire her up and ride her out after which the brakes appear to re-adjust and all is well. Nevertheless it bothers me
    • As I have reported elsewhere the pre-paint preparation on some parts of the bike leaves something to be desired. This is a pre-launch bike and one of the very first ones they made (it has the lowest VIN of all of this model). There are areas on the bike now where the paint is "falling off". It is coming off in flakes, revealing poor preparation underneath. I reported this first with the radiator (as have others) but now I am seeing it elsewhere (sump, rear shaft assembly, some potential bubbles on the block )

An alternative to changing the bike (it will cost over 7500 to change) is to keep it and, in a while, when the paint problem irritates me enough, strip down, repaint (properly!!!) then re-assemble. I just have to decide which I would rather do. I have to admit that the bike (as a runner and to ride) seems to be a good-un which is why I have the dilemma.  :084:
    If I do change there is no certainty that the paint issue will not rear its head in a few years time.  :087: This would not be the first machine I stripped down and rebuilt, but the increased amount of electronic wizardry they all have now makes that process less attractive than it was, though I have to admit that the areas that would need attention do not really seem to be affected by the electronics as such.

Choosing the colour is less of an issue, and does not arise until I make this decision....... :191:
    Now got Black TTSE
    Used to have Pre-Launch Trophy - lowest recorded Trophy VIN
    Why Threeup? Me, SWMBO and her bear (Fredbear)

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10005

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2017, 09.25 am
    Feb 09, 2017, 09.25 am
    Hi threeup,

What a decision to have to make !

Hope these will help ( I haven't posted a Lunar Silver - you KNOW what that't like !  :028:
    ( Click on the "Thumbnails to enlarge ).

Pacific Blue
    Phantom Black
    Cranberry Red ( previously my Lunar Silver Trophy ! )
    British Racing Green courtesy of Member Trophy1200SE

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Feb 27, 2020, 07.36 pm by Coconut

• Offline silverstripes   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1071

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
    Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2017, 09.33 am
    Feb 09, 2017, 09.33 am
    Just a thought but what about that vibrant Kawasaki Green.

That would look good  :046:
    It wasn't me !!

• Offline john348   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1524

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
    • City / Town: Farndon
    Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2017, 02.20 pm
    Feb 09, 2017, 02.20 pm
    red stands out but I do like the look of the brg