Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Low Oil Pressure warning after sitting for 3 months..  (Read 4473 times)

• Offline janfmiller   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    960
    • Topic Author

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • Bike: Was: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
    Low Oil Pressure warning after sitting for 3 months..
    on: Feb 11, 2017, 02.48 am
    Feb 11, 2017, 02.48 am
    Posted about this last Spring:

https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,5829.msg72738.html#msg72738

2013, 62,500 miles.

Worse this year as I just trailered the TTSE down to Texas from Northern Wisconsin...

Loaded it in the trailer in November.. Started right up, ran fine, no issues.

Unloaded it today, fired it up, Low Pressure light lit and warning on LCD immediately.  Several restarts, no change.  Last year the bike ran a few miles before throwing the light, did it about 3 times ( I immediately killed the engine and coasted to a stop, no light on restart ), and never again after that all year, 20K+ miles.

There is no sound of oil starvation, no rattles, all seems ok except for the light and warning.

Anyone else had this issue, and recommendations or solutions??

Many Thanks!!
    Jan....
    1977 Suzuki TS-185
    1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
    2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES NON-DCT
    2016 Yamaha FJ-09

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10201

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: Low Oil Pressure warning after sitting for 3 months..
    Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2017, 11.21 am
    Feb 11, 2017, 11.21 am
    Hi Jan,

As with any problem, I always recommend checking to see if there are any DTC's
    ( "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" as Triumph calls them, or "Fault Codes" to everyone else ! )
    that have been stored in the ECU.  This is especially important with Intermittent Faults,
    as many of the DTC's are erased from Memory after a certain number of "No Fault " starts.

Have a look at this Topic on Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC's ) / Fault Codes ( Post Reply #8 )
    and How to display them on your Instrument Panel, where you will also find
    a Word document I prepared, that explains the meaning of the various Codes.

I'm sure you would already know if the Oil Pump had packed up,
    but as you have no other symptoms of noise / rattles etc,
    I would suspect either a faulty Oil Pressure Sensor, ( there's no specific DTC for that ), or .......

Member JayKay reported here : False warnings having false warnings for Low Oil Pressure
    ( and Excess Coolant Temperature ) due to corrosion on the large electrical connector underneath the alternator.
    A cover was missing from the connector, allowing the connections to corrode and introduce false sensor readings.

Cleaning up the connections resolved the problem.

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Nov 15, 2020, 07.29 pm by Coconut

• Topic Author

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2017, 04.46 pm
    Feb 11, 2017, 04.46 pm
    Thanks, Coconut, as always.
    I have the shop manual with me, it describes acccess are requireing removing the throttle boddies and alternator to get at the OPS.  Wonder if it's accessible enought to get at if the left tupperware is removed?  Not exactly the kind of job you do outside.  I'm 1500 miles away from home from Wisconsin in Texas...   I'm about 80 miles from the nearest dealer of course...
    Thanks for the link, I'll check it out...
    1977 Suzuki TS-185
    1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
    2016 Yamaha FJ-09

• Topic Author

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2017, 06.08 pm
    Feb 13, 2017, 06.08 pm
    Well, no joy.  Have done everything I can do without pulling the TTSE down even farther than a valve check, changing the oil pressure sensor requires pulling the throttle bodies and alternator, a HUGE undertaking, not one I'm willing to tackle in the parking lot of my RV park here in Leakey.
    I can SEE the sensor with the right tupperware off, can wiggle the wires, etc. Have the shop manual, shows oil pressure sensor connecting to 'instrument connector A but I have NO idea where that is, perhaps on the back of the instruments.  That's about 4' or feet of wire from the sensor. 
    Called my dealer service 'bring it in', called the local 100 miles away dealer 'bring it in'.  Called Triumph after-sales support: "call your dealer".. <sigh>
    Nuts, it is intermittent, wiggled the wires, started it, and no light.  Had the battery unhooked at one point so figured I let it 'adapt' and then go for a ride.  About 10 minutes in. Light comes back on..
    So, guess I'll put her skirts back on and man-up and trailer her to San Antonio. 
    I hate admitting defeat!!!  I figure I should be able to fix anything....
    Looks like they have a '17 938 Multistrada there.. Might be tempted...
    Wish I'd brought my '74 Z1.  YOu can fix that with a paper clip and chewing gum.
    1977 Suzuki TS-185
    1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
    2016 Yamaha FJ-09

• Offline swannie007

• Trophy Member  ‐    99

Offline swannie007

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy SE abs
    • City / Town: Ripon
    Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2017, 06.02 am
    Feb 14, 2017, 06.02 am
    I feel your pain man. This bike is a bloody nightmare to work on. It appears that when Triumph designed it they wanted to keep their dealers happy and designed a bike that needs to see a dealer for the most mundane tasks like changing an air filter, oil pressure sensor etc. Hell, even an oil change is a pain in the arse! My next bike is going back to basic so that I can do all, or most of, my maintenance myself without making the "stealer" rich.

• Topic Author

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2017, 12.59 am
    Feb 15, 2017, 12.59 am
    *Originally Posted by swannie007 [+]
    I feel your pain man. This bike is a bloody nightmare to work on. It appears that when Triumph designed it they wanted to keep their dealers happy and designed a bike that needs to see a dealer for the most mundane tasks like changing an air filter, oil pressure sensor etc. Hell, even an oil change is a pain in the arse! My next bike is going back to basic so that I can do all, or most of, my maintenance myself without making the "stealer" rich.
    I think those bikes ceased being made in about 1981... (:>  I have to admit, the TTSE is the most challenging machine to work on I've dealt with, but it's doable, just takes a lot of time and thought, shop manual reading, perusal of this forum, and taking a million pictures along the way to aid with re-construction...
    To day the beast fired up, no warning lights, and I started taking short loops staying close to home.  Eventually put on about 60 miles, no warnings...  Think makes me nuts.  Don't trust it long distance yet, but will over the next few days if nothing pops.  Ordered a new oil pressure sender, gasket, and alternator gasket today.  In about 7K I'm due for valve check, and will replace the sender then and trace the wiring back as much as humanly possible.

Anyone know where 'Instument Connector A" lives????
    1977 Suzuki TS-185
    1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
    2016 Yamaha FJ-09

• Offline cropbiker   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    4934

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
    • Midlands biker
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Worcester
    Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2017, 06.26 am
    Feb 15, 2017, 06.26 am
    If the indications of a 'fault' don't come back and no DTC codes displayed why spend the money getting parts and changing them. Probably just a result of sitting idle for 3 months and everything draining to the bottom and taking a while to circulate. Even if you don't go out on it I think its worth starting the engine and letting it idle for a while once a month to avoid these annoying gremlins
    Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10201

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2017, 06.37 am
    Feb 15, 2017, 06.37 am
    Anyone know where 'Instrument Connector A" lives????

There are two plug in wiring connectors on the back of the Instrument panel itself.

Connector A has 36 pins, and Connector B has 20 pins.

I'm not 100% certain which of the two is which - as per the below diagrams,
    but it should be relatively easy to tell if you were to strip it down that far.

Cheers,

Last Edit: Nov 15, 2020, 07.28 pm by Coconut