Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] First impressions coming from an 1100RT  (Read 3986 times)

• Offline f4rat

• Trophy Member  ‐    11
    • Topic Author

Offline f4rat

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: San Diego
    First impressions coming from an 1100RT
    on: Feb 11, 2017, 06.42 pm
    Feb 11, 2017, 06.42 pm
    Hello all,

Here are my impressions of the Triumph Trophy SE coming from a BMW 1100RT which I've ridden for about 12,000 miles or so:

The immense power of this thing is amazing. It effortlessly flies in pretty much any gear. Already have made adjustments with my throttle hand as it is more responsive than the 1100 for sure. I've never ridden the 1200RTs, but my Dad has, and he said this has as much power as the new WC ones.. Amazing stuff...

The seat is really comfortable for me. We ride weekly 45 minute to an 1 hour or more commute, depending on traffic. I'm always riding in comfort.

The gearbox is more smooth than the 1100 that is for sure. The gear ratios I have come to find are a lot better. My Dad has an 1150RT and agrees with me. I especially like the 1st and 2nd gear. Also like the clutch better. The 1100RT had a dry, automotive clutch.

Low speed handling on the Trophy is an improvement over the 1100, even though it is by the numbers a bit heavier. Amazing.

The heated grips work just as well for me as on the 1100. Even in low, they get quite warm. I had to double check on night to make sure I hadn't accidentally put it on high.....

Love the instrument display cluster, the LCD screen is nice and bright. I have no complaint with the numbers. The 1100 had numbers that were dimly lit at night and hard to see, especially the odometer.

Where the bright light switch is, is pretty easy for me to get to.

There are a few low points for me, but not as much as the numerous pros.

It is just mainly the luggage rack is not as well designed for attachments for our use as the 1100 rack, but that may be for our experiences. We'll find a way to over come it. We've been using bungee cords tied to the grab handles to attach our computers.

The turn signals, well when you've gotten used to the BMW way, even if it seems strange to others, it takes time to adjust. As I had used JDM turn signals when I started out in my MSF course 3 years ago, and have ridden 2 bikes with it, it isn't so bad to adjust back it wasn't back.

Basically I like almost everything about the bike far more than my 1100. Though the 1100 has served me well, I'm looking forward to putting some miles with smiles with the Trophy!

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10202

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: First impressions coming from an 1100RT
    Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2017, 08.27 pm
    Feb 11, 2017, 08.27 pm
    Sounds like you're quite impressed - thast's no surprise to other Trophy riders !

I am almost proud to say I've never owned a BMW, so I don't understand
    what you mean about "the BMW way" for the Indicators  ?

The Trophy Indicators can be set to stay ON until you manually cancel them,
    or to "Auto" self cancelling mode, when they will self cancel after
    65 metres have been travelled and 8 seconds time has elapsed.

Cheers,

Last Edit: Nov 15, 2020, 07.32 pm by Coconut

• Offline f4rat

• Trophy Member  ‐    11
    • Topic Author

Offline f4rat

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2017, 08.31 pm
    Feb 11, 2017, 08.31 pm
    Coconut,

I should have explained it better so non BMW riders could understand. :) The BMW way is a separate switch paddle for each direction (i.e left turn under the left handlebar and the right under the right, with cancel on the left.)  It's just a different methodology.

I did not know they could be set to auto cancel. That's pretty nifty.

I am most definitely quite impressed with it. I'm definitely sure isn't a surprised to other Trophy riders. This isn't the first Triumph I've ridden either. A year or so ago, I test rode a Black Bonneville, the first vehicle of any sort I've test ridden or driven. A nice little bike, but glad I am riding the Trophy now.

The only other nag I have is the windshield/heated grip and other buttons aren't backlit for night riding. I'm learning the feel of where they are though so it isn't so bad now.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5103

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2017, 11.26 pm
    Feb 11, 2017, 11.26 pm
    BMW finally relented and joined the crowd with a single switch for the turn signals, so now they're all alike in that respect.  Some of the BMW purists were truly dismayed when they discontinued the separate left and right hand switches.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline f4rat

• Trophy Member  ‐    11
    • Topic Author

Offline f4rat

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2017, 11.29 pm
    Feb 11, 2017, 11.29 pm
    I think my Dad was one of those ones who was most dismayed when they switched to the single switch. He still doesn't like it as much as the separate switches but has adapted. I was kind of the same way, but I've had a bit more of more recent single switch experience so I adapted.

Other than that and the luggage rack, and no backlit switches, the Trophy is a far better bike in every aspect than our 1100/1150's. The transmission and engine are a massive improvement in our point of view. It's power is astonishing..

• Offline rpeters549   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    750

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • City / Town: Lowell, Or
    Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2017, 04.14 am
    Feb 12, 2017, 04.14 am
    That is one of the biggest things I miss from my Goldwing.  Back-lit switches.  But I am learning to just 'feel' with my glove gently to adjust XM station, etc.  Familiarity makes it better as time goes by.
    Year round rider here!

• Offline f4rat

• Trophy Member  ‐    11
    • Topic Author

Offline f4rat

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2017, 04.21 am
    Feb 12, 2017, 04.21 am
    I never have had the pleasure of having a bike that has had backlit switches. On my 1100RT, my Dad solved the problem, by putting post lights from airplanes by the heated grips switch, so I could see it at night. It worked well enough.

For the Trophy, I will just have to get used to the feel of where the switches are. I'm quickly learning I think. It is a very minor gripe, compared to how awesome the bike is. It's probably my favorite bike I have ever ridden.

• Offline rpeters549   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    750

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • City / Town: Lowell, Or
    Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2017, 04.37 am
    Feb 12, 2017, 04.37 am
     :002:

Agree.  From the Goldwing I have loved oodles of power AND better fuel economy with great comfort!  I got 37-40 with the Wing and am getting a real 47-50 with the TTSE.  Since I mainly commute this was a great bonus!  Learning the switches at night is just something that has to be done since I ride a lot in the dark.
    Year round rider here!

tweedy-bunch