Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] 6000rpm  (Read 3857 times)

• Offline eagle4

• Trophy Member  ‐    47
    • Topic Author

Offline eagle4

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Errare germanum est !
    • Bike: Trophy SE 2016
    • City / Town: Paris West suburbs
    6000rpm
    on: Feb 24, 2017, 08.40 am
    Feb 24, 2017, 08.40 am
    Good morning to all,

wanted just to share with you a new experience I had this morning with Miss Trophy : I was in the commuters heavy traffic, trying to progress safely, when suddenly bike started to accelerate strongly, first reflex came on braking strongly, but engine was still pushing, then I pulled the clutch lever , released right hand, and I saw the rpm going to 6000, with no way to cut it down !!! Was about to find a place where to park with this screaming engine, but, before, I tried to give a big short revving on the engine and then rpm came back to normal idle !!
    When arriving at the office, I checked DTC : nothing.
    So I don't know what happened, I just know I did not do anything special with my right hand. Did it already happen to you ? would the TPS be involved ? problem is that this probably the kind of issue which is impossible to reproduce in a Triumph workshop, but which is definitely VERY DANGEROUS. I will try to excite my dealer's curiosity, but not sure he will be very interested as he never replied to my previous messages.

Have a good and safe day.
    Cheers, Hugues

• Offline GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1335

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Re: 6000rpm
    Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2017, 09.51 am
    Feb 24, 2017, 09.51 am
     :087: Wow that must have been scary!

Hope you find out what happened.  Sometimes I wonder about all this technology; being old school I can only understand things I can see; all these fly by wire, bluetooth, electricity type stuff I find bamboozling!

Love, light and kindness,

Dave

Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10131

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2017, 04.33 pm
    Feb 24, 2017, 04.33 pm
    That must have been scary !

There's always the option to hit the emergency engine kill switch,
    but that isn't always the right thing to do, unless you know
    you can get out of the traffic and stop safely with NO power  :012:

I would check the throttle body housings, especially if your Trophy has been
    serviced recently - when they may have been disturbed, but check them anyway !

It has been known for them not be fitted correctly,
    and if they are not properly aligned into the rubber mounts,
    ( which is quite a "fiddly" job hence the suggestion to check ),
    there is the possibility of the butterfly valve(s) catching
    and sticking inside the housing, which might explain what happened !

If you or Dealer find this, or anything else to be the cause, please let us know  :169:   :028:

Last Edit: Nov 15, 2020, 06.59 pm by Coconut

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2017, 08.47 pm
    Feb 24, 2017, 08.47 pm
    *Originally Posted by GarminDave [+]
    :087: Wow that must have been scary!

Hope you find out what happened.  Sometimes I wonder about all this technology; being old school I can only understand things I can see; all these fly by wire, bluetooth, electricity type stuff I find bamboozling!

Love, light and kindness,

Dave

I agree, I'm really not keen on the fly by wire throttle, had it on my last couple of cars too so we are kind of stuck with this technology I guess,.....unless we all buy and keep classic vehicles running.

• Offline john348   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1524

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
    • City / Town: Farndon
    Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2017, 10.22 pm
    Feb 24, 2017, 10.22 pm
    One of the early recalls (I was told) was to change the throttle position sensor which was sensitive to interference.  SO possibly there was some interference that gave the wrong signal (which would not turn up as an error as it would look like a legit throttle opening).  SO it might be worth speaking to Triumph to see if the recall had been done.

• Offline Phil   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    478

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: London
    Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2017, 10.30 pm
    Feb 26, 2017, 10.30 pm
    Similar thing happen to me.  I was doing 30 in a 30 limit when I approached a school.   Lots of kids milling round and larking about so I rolled off to 20 MPH.   I was going down a very slight hill when the bike started to accelerate back up to 30MPH. 

I pulled in the clutch and the revs jumped to ????? I was not looking at this point because the kids were getting closer.  Slowed and pulled into the side of the road and hit the kick switch.  Sat there a few moments scratching my head trying to figure out if I had done something silly.   Restarted the engine and all was ok again.   

Not experienced the problem since and my local dealership was lost of an explanation. 

kper

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2017, 03.49 pm
    Feb 27, 2017, 03.49 pm
    I'm wondering how sensitive to interference this system actually is? I'm thinking of outside 'electrically interference' in general,....could other radio waves/electrical pulses be a cause of interference??

• Offline swannie007

• Trophy Member  ‐    99

Offline swannie007

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy SE abs
    • City / Town: Ripon
    Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2017, 03.32 am
    Mar 01, 2017, 03.32 am
    Some manufacturers have a throttle close cable as a back-up just in case this sort of thing happens. My Aprilia Tuono V4 had this arrangement. Nice feeling of security as I have never fully trusted fly-by-wire throttles and never will. Same for cloud computing, call me old school but I have never had a throttle cable put me in a jam, so-to-speak. Oh well, must change with the times I suppose, but I still prefer cables.

tweedy-bunch