Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] From Front running lights to SWITCHBACK front running LED Lights  (Read 6752 times)

• Offline Xsv   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    477
    • Topic Author

Offline Xsv

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE, 2017 BMW
    • City / Town: Washington State
    From Front running lights to SWITCHBACK front running LED Lights
    on: Mar 02, 2017, 09.40 pm
    Mar 02, 2017, 09.40 pm
    I had previously replaced my front turn signal receptacles from a 1156 style to the 1157 so that I could run a front amber dual filament bulb.  This gives me front running lights and the signal too.

I saw these on a different forum and had to give it a shot.  I replaced the 1157 with a JDM Astar switch back.  They are white while in running mode, but flash amber as a turn signal.  On these videos you can compare the amber running light that i have not converted with the new bulbs.  I was able to still use my 1157 sockets as they make these bulbs to fit that socket or the 3157 socket.

One video shows them in running mode and the other has the 4 way flashers on so you can see the difference in brightness.

Edit...(The links don't seem to work right for me, but the videos are in the gallery and work there.)

edit videos no longer available

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Re: From Front running lights to SWITCHBACK front running LED Lights
    Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2017, 11.11 pm
    Mar 02, 2017, 11.11 pm
    I may have posted this already, but I used these: https://www.customled.com/products/blinker-genie?gclid=Cj0KEQiAot_FBRCqt8jVsoDKoZABEiQAqFL76GK2SU2dklxrriRnOdQcnTEqKxeIyrkBwIUJUtfIOjEaAnTF8P8HAQ "Blinker Genie" They're a solid state relay that keeps the lights on while the bike is on and blinks normally when the turn signals run.

Studies show that yellow lights during the day and white lights during the night are most noticeable, so I wanted some amber running lights and these fit the bill (to go along with my white night driving lights).
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline Xsv   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    477
    • Topic Author

Offline Xsv

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2017, 12.47 am
    Mar 03, 2017, 12.47 am
    I am feeling pretty good about my front ambers aka stock yellow headlights  :745: for visibility.

These are pretty bright which should enhance a little side visibility, especially compared to stock ....which is exactly zero. (pictures do not really do the justice.  little easier to see in the gallery when you can enlarge the picture.

• Offline Xsv   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    477
    • Topic Author

Offline Xsv

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2017, 12.51 am
    Mar 03, 2017, 12.51 am
    *Originally Posted by AZBob [+]
    I may have posted this already, but I used these: https://www.customled.com/products/blinker-genie?gclid=Cj0KEQiAot_FBRCqt8jVsoDKoZABEiQAqFL76GK2SU2dklxrriRnOdQcnTEqKxeIyrkBwIUJUtfIOjEaAnTF8P8HAQ "Blinker Genie" They're a solid state relay that keeps the lights on while the bike is on and blinks normally when the turn signals run.

Studies show that yellow lights during the day and white lights during the night are most noticeable, so I wanted some amber running lights and these fit the bill (to go along with my white night driving lights).

I am curious about those genie blinkers as I'd like to swap out the rear turn signal with some red/amber LED switchbacks.  However, it looks like I will probably be stuck with trying to find some 3 wire (smaller then the front 3157 or 1157) sockets and doing a conversion.

• Offline AZBob   us

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2017, 07.15 pm
    Mar 07, 2017, 07.15 pm
    *Originally Posted by Xsv [+]
    I am curious about those genie blinkers as I'd like to swap out the rear turn signal with some red/amber LED switchbacks.  However, it looks like I will probably be stuck with trying to find some 3 wire (smaller then the front 3157 or 1157) sockets and doing a conversion.

Hmm... I think that functionality would have to be built into the red/amber unit, and like you said, would have to be 3-wire.

Alternatively, you can mount some Skene Design P3 lights on either side of your license plate to get some additional brake lights. I have them installed and appreciate their position as I always have the top box on.
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline Xsv   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    477
    • Topic Author

Offline Xsv

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2017, 07.32 pm
    Mar 07, 2017, 07.32 pm
    *Originally Posted by AZBob [+]
    Hmm... I think that functionality would have to be built into the red/amber unit, and like you said, would have to be 3-wire.

Alternatively, you can mount some Skene Design P3 lights on either side of your license plate to get some additional brake lights. I have them installed and appreciate their position as I always have the top box on.

I ordered some 3157 led brake/ tail light this morning.  I will swap out sockets with 3 wire and run the turn signal running lights off of the tail light and the bright red on the led off of the turn signal. Obviously I lose the amber signals, but will gain additional tail lights and the a bright flashing red for turn signals

Currently I am always running my top box with the same light bar that you used. In addition i have red led brake bolts on all four corners of the license plate.https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-accent-lighting/bolt-beam-10mm-led-light/56/2050/?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=base&utm_content=10B-x&utm_campaign=GoogleBaseChild&gclid=COj_6JiQxdICFUlNfgod2AQOQw
     The stock brake light, trunk light bar and the bolt light are all wired into my brake light flashing unit.

I am just killing time with dinking around with trying to enhance visibility as I wait for the snow to melt and Russell to send my seat back as today is build date!😀 :047:

• Offline AZBob   us

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2017, 04.27 pm
    Mar 08, 2017, 04.27 pm
    *Originally Posted by Xsv [+]
    I ordered some 3157 led brake/ tail light this morning.  I will swap out sockets with 3 wire and run the turn signal running lights off of the tail light and the bright red on the led off of the turn signal. Obviously I lose the amber signals, but will gain additional tail lights and the a bright flashing red for turn signals

Ah, I was under the impression that they made a bulb that flashed amber but was red for the running light. For myself, I wouldn't want a red turn signal, but that's just me.

Currently I am always running my top box with the same light bar that you used.

Right, I mentioned it because the tail light itself is covered by the top box quite a bit, and I wanted light lower on the tail section to indicate braking (as well as the brake light on the top box, which is super bright).

Those are very nice, I was not aware of them. I am going to check them out.

[quite]I am just killing time with dinking around with trying to enhance visibility as I wait for the snow to melt and Russell to send my seat back as today is build date!😀 :047:
    [/quote]

If not for winter, I'm not sure there'd be so many motorcycle accessories. :-)
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro  ‐    213

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy A1
    • City / Town: Simonstone, Lancs
    Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2017, 05.49 pm
    Mar 08, 2017, 05.49 pm
    I like the idea (& look) of those white running lights combined in the indicator pods.

To convert from stock, would you just need the 1157 receptacle and the JDM switchback (or similar) units?

Presumably you used a suitable 12v supply to power the running light side - which source did you use?

Is there a "best fit" 1157 receptacle?

Thanks
    Pacific Blue Trophy A1
    Honda Bros 650 (since import from Japan in '95)
    History (best of):
    KE125, CB250T, DT400, GS425, GS650G, XR200, CB900F2, FJ1200, K1200RS

tweedy-bunch