Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] '14 Trophy SE Radio Unit Faulty. Barely out of warranty w<3k miles  (Read 11623 times)

• Offline chattycheech

• Trophy Member  ‐    20
    • Topic Author

Offline chattycheech

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Marysville
    '14 Trophy SE Radio Unit Faulty. Barely out of warranty w<3k miles
    on: Mar 04, 2017, 07.41 pm
    Mar 04, 2017, 07.41 pm
    I  bought a '14 Trophy with only 2400 miles from a Guy In NY that Claimed The bike was in Perfect condition both Mechanically and Cosmetically. He was Right with the exception Of the Radio. Since it was Jan (Icy and Freezing outside) I wasnt able to ride the bike, SO i just looked it over good, started it up and determined that it must be as NEW! Unfortunately I didnt Check out the radio. I have read all the posts here on the Frequent Radio Problems, so I had the battery checked and it is Good. Long story Short, I took it to my local dealer when I couldnt figure out how to turn radio on (wont power on/no radio on display). They spent two hours labor on it to tell me that it was bad and that it is $2000 for a new one. I asked if they knew if the software update had been done, but didnt get an answer. Obviously, I was very upset and told them to put it on hold while I contacted the previous owner and Triumph Corporate in Atlanta to see about getting any help. (2-yr Warranty expired about 7 months ago) I was encouraged a bit when I spoke with the North American Customer Relations Mgr, and he told me that the dealer could file a "Good Faith" Claim with Triumph to See if they would go ahead and make an exception and cover the costs. He mentioned that they replaced 25 of them early on when they were having software issues and didnt realize that the radio's werent actually bad. He also stated that the UK Corporate Bosses evaluate each claim and would let the dealer know the decision within a couple of days. I had high hopes and faith they would allow it, but my dealer called me that same day and said they denied it. SO...Here I sit all Broken Hearted....I thought if any case would qualify, this one SURELY would. Anyway, I just wanted to reachout to the "Gang" here to get any ideas or see if there was someone who could help :157:
    PLEASE & THANK YOU In Advance!
    Modify message

• Offline OhioWinger   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    394

Offline OhioWinger

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Southern Ohio
    Re: '14 Trophy SE Radio Unit Faulty. Barely out of warranty w<3k miles
    Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2017, 09.54 pm
    Mar 04, 2017, 09.54 pm
     Welcome to the forum!

I remember a thread somewhere on this site, someone sent their radio to the company that actually built them and only cost a few hundred, if I remember correctly.

• Offline csquared

• Trophy Pro  ‐    121

Offline csquared

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Blue Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Springboro, OH
    Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2017, 12.19 am
    Mar 05, 2017, 12.19 am
    Check out "Radio won't turn on" in this section and read Reply #14 for the details. By the way, WELCOME!
    Every day is a Saturday when you're retired!

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5103

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2017, 01.27 am
    Mar 05, 2017, 01.27 am
     :400: to the forum.  There is some help per the previous post.  Won't be free, but considerably less than buying one from Triumph.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10202

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2017, 10.19 am
    Mar 05, 2017, 10.19 am
    Hi chattycheech,

Sorry to hear of such a problem so early on in your ownership,
    but on this Forum we're to help !

Thanks to one of our Member ( "oakville" ) sharing a similar experience here :
    Radio wont tune in anything except XM......
    you will find that the Radio Unit can be repaired /exchanged for a flat fee of US $150 + Shipping,
    by a Company called Radio Sound in Louisville, Kentucky.

It's a bit of a task to strip the Trophy down far enough to get at and remove the Audio Unit,
    but there are other articles in the Forum in how to do that -
    Shout up in the Audio Section if you need help  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Nov 15, 2020, 06.47 pm by Coconut

• Offline chattycheech

• Trophy Member  ‐    20
    • Topic Author

Offline chattycheech

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Marysville
    Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2017, 02.54 pm
    Mar 05, 2017, 02.54 pm
    Thank you Gentlemen for your assistance. That is most likely the route I will be taking. I just have to go pick up my bike "in pieces", pay the dealer for the 2 hrs labor, and bring it home to get the radio out.
    I read a comment yesterday something like, "I cant believe Triumph doesnt Market this bike more agressively as its an Amazing Motorcycle". I cant help but think, "When there are what seems to be such epidemic radio and Electrical problems, Why they wouldnt take the initiative to step up and correct these issues by Issuing a Service Bulletin whether the bike is under warranty or not???" If it were me (I think I am a resonably prudent person), I would want to ensure my customers are Happy, and Talking/posting all their Exciting Rides and How well my Motorcycle Company Takes care of its lifeblood! This in itself would entice many more folks to take the leap and Ride a Trophy SE.
    To be honest, If I had read this forum prior to my purchase, I would probably be riding something else right now instead of tearing a bike apart that only has 2400 miles on it!
    Last Edit: Mar 05, 2017, 02.55 pm by chattycheech

• Offline PhilInAthens   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    307

Offline PhilInAthens

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '14 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Athens, GA
    Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2017, 03.05 pm
    Mar 05, 2017, 03.05 pm
    Coconut, others ; Isn't it possible to do the firmware patch with the radio in this "Radio Off" condition? If yes, wouldn't this be something to try first before the teardown?  Or, is this an entirely different - firmwear irrelevant - problem?  (Just trying to find the "easy button".)

• Offline cropbiker   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    4934

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
    • Midlands biker
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Worcester
    Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2017, 03.11 pm
    Mar 05, 2017, 03.11 pm
    I think saying epidemic radio and electrical problems is harsh.... the vast majority of riders have not had those problems...

I know that is little comfort to you having experienced such a major problem on what is such an expensive purchase and one that would appear to have been so little used with only 2,400 miles on it.

What I would recommend is writing to Triumph UK and Triumph North America and clearly stating the issue you are having, stressing that although you appreciate the bike may be out of warranty to have something with so few miles on it fail is totally unacceptable.

Triumph have been very good at stepping up to the mark even for out of warranty issues when they have been approached directly.
    Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧