Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Motorcycling through France  (Read 2538 times)

Offline loads of miles

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Silver
  • City / Town: Welwyn Garden City
Motorcycling through France
« on: June 14, 2013, 10:15:31 pm »
All .........especially those of you from France  ,   can you advise me re something I have just read on another site regarding m/c in France .
It states that all crash hlmets must have four reflective patches one rear two at the front and one either side( the sizes were given but too detailed to list here ) So assuming this is right have any of you living in France atcually got these stickers /have any of you ever been stopped and warned / fined for not having them .
Dont really want to start putting stickers all over our helmets on our way through France to Switzerland in Sept  so though I would ask all you TT owners
( ps i have got my two breath tubes )
thanks in antisipation
loads of miles

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
Re: Motorcycling through France
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 10:39:17 pm »
Hi Loads of Miles: unfortunately what you read is right. An "approved" helmet must have the EC or NF certification label plus the four pieces of reflective material you mentioned. The fine is Euro 135 and of more concern to me 3 points off your driving license. This would of course not apply to non French licenses. I've been riding for more than 40 years and has not been stopped...yet! But the Government is so desperate in finding money that anything could happen.
I'm used to regularly ride with British buddies in France, none of them has any sticker, we have been touring France each year for the last ten years, so far none of them has ever been controlled...your call! (I do have stickers on my helmet: don't want to loose three points)
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline woody

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sunny Swindon
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:38:39 pm »
Hi loads, if you take a look in the “ride reports and touring section” I started a thread titled “2700+miles England to southern Spain” in which I have written about my experience last week of French and Spanish police. I never even bothered with reflective vest, triangles or replacement bulbs when riding my bikes in Europe in the past (when driving I have everything in the boot like a good little citizen  :001: ) as from what I’ve seen over the years the golden rule seems to be don’t upset the police as they will and can find a fault with any vehicle :264:. As for the breathalyzer’s I did read somewhere before I set off on my trip that the French government delayed passing the law on 1st june as every person would have to carry at least two in each vehicle (one for themselves and one in case they are stopped by the police) and that the manufactures where unable to produce them in sufficient quantities. The bottom line is it’s a gamble… :725: :178: a game of cat and mouse you may get a fine but more than likely not, (set a little cash aside just in case) but it’s not worth worrying about what might not even happen. Last week I was one of about 400 bikes coming back on the ferry and everyone seemed to be smiling chatting and having a great time and that’s pretty good odds to me. One good point is I don’t think they will affect your points on your licence they just want your hard earned cash!  Just a small tip.If you take a sat nav select “avoid toll roads” not only does it save you cash on the tolls (45 euro in my case) but the N roads are twistier and more scenic and better suited for bikes in my opinion. Have fun!!! :001:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 11:41:25 pm by woody »
Nothing to fear but fear itself!

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 10:35:01 am »
I am off next month to France again with a group who have been going for the last too many years to remember.  But I have read that the police are tightening up so I have bought some reflective stickers (not fitted yet) and I already have the other stuff. 

As I understand it breathalysers are law but carry no fine or points???

I did read a web site from Anglo French bikers that say they have had people stopped (mainly around Paris) that have been stopped and fined but can you believe anything on the web.  Well you can here of course.

Offline Marcus

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 12:56:05 pm »
Hi all. I and a friend rode from Dieppe to Mount Saint Michel in the west of Normandy not Brittaney so I was informed!!!! Had no reflectors on my helmet and had no problem with La Flick!! But we may have been lucky so will be getting the reflectors for the next trip .We did have reflective vests so we were half way there. On another subject you must take a spare key just in case but it has to be a triumph sipplied key, there coded.  :028: My mate had one cut as I did ,he used it when back in UK . It promptly disabled the Engine management system and with the likely hood of the bike becoming immobile !!Luckely we didn't use them in France as if we had (Big Problem)  !! Not a good idea as we wouldn't find it easy to explain to a Triumph dealership northern France What we'd done :020:The roads in that part or France are so good and empty as long as you avoid the Auto routes on there  bank holidays!!!! :182:

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 06:05:25 pm »
to summarize:
Breathanalyzers: they are compulsory but you will not get fined if stopped and not carrying them (French logics!  :087:)
Reflective panels on the helmet: compulsory; fine euro 135 and three points (on French licenses only)
Now your call
An old biker must be a good rider