Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: How to remove mirror glass  (Read 3926 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline Xsv   us

    • Trophy Pro  ‐    477
    • ***
    • Topic Author

    Offline Xsv

    • Trophy Pro
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 477
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE, 2017 BMW
    • City / Town: Washington State
    • Country: us
    How to remove mirror glass
    on: Mar 10, 2017, 05.19 am
    Mar 10, 2017, 05.19 am
    I am contemplating trying to add turn signal indicators to my mirror face





    It appears that the mirror and the plastic cup in which it fits is held on by a single bolt. However, that bolt is flush with the plastic and there does not appear to be anyway to grab it with wrench.

    I suspect there is a trick to this, does anybody know it :148:?

  • Offline johnbut   gb

    • Trophy Pro  ‐    218
    • ***
      #1

    Offline johnbut

    • Trophy Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 218
    • Bike: triumph trophy
    • City / Town: East Yorkshire
    • Country: gb
    Re: How to remove mirror glass
    Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2017, 08.56 am
    Mar 10, 2017, 08.56 am
    When I cracked the glass in my mirror I was told that the glasses not replaceable and I had to get a full unit.

  • Offline Xsv   us

    • Trophy Pro  ‐    477
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • #2

    Offline Xsv

    • Trophy Pro
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 477
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE, 2017 BMW
    • City / Town: Washington State
    • Country: us
    Re: How to remove mirror glass
    Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2017, 03.03 pm
    Mar 10, 2017, 03.03 pm
    *Originally Posted by johnbut [+]
    When I cracked the glass in my mirror I was told that the glasses not replaceable and I had to get a full unit.


    Well, not what I wanted to hear :002:

    I am discouraged, but still wonder if there is not some way to do it.  I have come across people using heat guns, etc to remove the glass.

    That bolt throws me.  Why be there if not for some step in the assembly process?

  • Offline perfsthepiper

    • Trophy Member  ‐    15
    • **
      #3

    Offline perfsthepiper

    • Trophy Member
    • **
    • Posts: 15
    • Bike: TTSE 14
    • City / Town: Singapore
    Re: How to remove mirror glass
    Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2017, 05.48 pm
    Apr 19, 2017, 05.48 pm
    *Originally Posted by Xsv [+]

    Well, not what I wanted to hear :002:

    I am discouraged, but still wonder if there is not some way to do it.  I have come across people using heat guns, etc to remove the glass.

    That bolt throws me.  Why be there if not for some step in the assembly process?


    Did you get lucky with this mod?

  • Offline Xsv   us

    • Trophy Pro  ‐    477
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • #4

    Offline Xsv

    • Trophy Pro
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 477
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE, 2017 BMW
    • City / Town: Washington State
    • Country: us
    Re: How to remove mirror glass
    Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2017, 05.11 am
    Apr 20, 2017, 05.11 am
    *Originally Posted by perfsthepiper [+]

    Did you get lucky with this mod?

    No.  The mirror appears to sit enveloped in plastic on all edges. I am not willing to sacrifice (break) the mirror right now.

  • Offline earthman   gb

    • Trophy Master  ‐    2121
    • ****
      #5

    Offline earthman

    • Trophy Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 2121
    • Country: gb
    Re: How to remove mirror glass
    Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2017, 09.08 am
    Apr 20, 2017, 09.08 am
    I wouldn't be surprised if they made it that way on purpose, like most things nowadays, buy an whole new unit.

    Well at least you can set the indicators to self cancel on this bike, I'm assuming that's why you want to do this mod in the first place?
    Last Edit: Apr 20, 2017, 09.11 am by earthman

  • Offline Xsv   us

    • Trophy Pro  ‐    477
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • #6

    Offline Xsv

    • Trophy Pro
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 477
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE, 2017 BMW
    • City / Town: Washington State
    • Country: us
    Re: How to remove mirror glass
    Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2017, 12.58 am
    Apr 21, 2017, 12.58 am
    *Originally Posted by earthman [+]
    I wouldn't be surprised if they made it that way on purpose, like most things nowadays, buy an whole new unit.

    Well at least you can set the indicators to self cancel on this bike, I'm assuming that's why you want to do this mod in the first place?

    I wanted to Get the signal wider and more visible from the rear of the bike.

  • Offline earthman   gb

    • Trophy Master  ‐    2121
    • ****
      #7

    Offline earthman

    • Trophy Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 2121
    • Country: gb
    Re: How to remove mirror glass
    Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2017, 09.19 pm
    Apr 21, 2017, 09.19 pm
    *Originally Posted by Xsv [+]
    I wanted to Get the signal wider and more visible from the rear of the bike.

    Ah, good idea. :002:

     



    tweedy-bunch