Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: front break judder at low speeds  (Read 4124 times)

Offline woody

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sunny Swindon
front break judder at low speeds
« on: June 15, 2013, 01:53:02 am »

Has anyone had any break disc problems? My trophy SE has about 4000 miles on it and the last few days I’ve noticed a small amount of uneven breaking from the front end at slow speeds like pulling up to a junction. has anyone experienced this problem before?
I would like to find out the root cause of the break judder. If it’s just uneven wear that’s not so much of a problem however warping of the disc could lead to a nasty incident, I have not had the opportunity to take it back to the dealer yet for them to have a look and respond, I will be asking some questions for example could it affect the A.B.S performance?... Any thoughts?
I will call them up on Monday to book an appointment and keep you posted.
I have had no problems with the bike other than this small judder and am very happy with every aspect of the bike.
I would be interested in experiences you’ve had with similar problems.
Best Wishes
Woody 
Nothing to fear but fear itself!

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: front break judder at low speeds
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 04:36:41 am »
I've not had any problems with my brakes. So far they have been superb
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 10:44:21 am »
When I picked mine up there was judder.  I used the front brake hard a few times and it got better.  The disc though had very strange wear marks with a 'highlight' radiating out from each hole.  I took it back and by then the judder had gone and talked to the dealer and mechanic who said if I was still concerned get it booked in.  I have hammered the brakes a lot of times since and even the marks have gone. 

Apart from the strange highlights I would have said it was glazing.  This was very common on guzzis when they used link brakes.  The rear does not put enough onto the front and the brakes glaze.  We used to get people saying the brakes were no good.  We used to take the bike for a quick thrash and heavy braking front brake only and she we took it back the owner said the brakes had never been so good.  I will add I was just on the committee of the club and not a dealer or anything.

So I was not surprised she it went away after some heavy braking.  Having said that I had to change the sprint discs because of warping.  The y were well known to warp and it was caused by the bobbins (floating pins) to seize up and you had to regularly spin them to keep them free.

I have to say that the trophy brakes are the best I have had. 

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 04:54:12 pm »
On the rare occasion that I've encountered brake glazing I've found it best to remove the pads, break the glaze with sandpaper, reinstall and break-in properly.  Its been my experience that glazing occurs primarily from improper break in.  Sometimes from people riding the brakes (but obviously that is with a car). 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 06:20:29 pm »
*Originally Posted by woody [+]
Has anyone had any break disc problems? My trophy SE has about 4000 miles on it and the last few days I’ve noticed a small amount of uneven breaking from the front end at slow speeds like pulling up to a junction. has anyone experienced this problem before?
I would like to find out the root cause of the break judder. If it’s just uneven wear that’s not so much of a problem however warping of the disc could lead to a nasty incident, I have not had the opportunity to take it back to the dealer yet for them to have a look and respond, I will be asking some questions for example could it affect the A.B.S performance?... Any thoughts?
I will call them up on Monday to book an appointment and keep you posted.
I have had no problems with the bike other than this small judder and am very happy with every aspect of the bike.
I would be interested in experiences you’ve had with similar problems.
Best Wishes
Woody

Hi Woody

I've only noticed this type of effect when getting by bike out of the garage. It slops away slightly and sometime I get a slight judder when lightly applying  the front just to give a little stability:087: I think this may be partly due to the fact that front  callipers have four pads NOT two and there may be a little lateral movement. I'd get it checked but I don't think its any thing to worry about??

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline Caoimhín

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 08:31:46 pm »
Hi Woody,

I've had this since about 3,000k. I called to the dealer today and they found a chip off the edge of the right rotor and suggested that the damage would cause warping. They asked if I had kerbed it or used a disc lock. I have done neither. I was concerned enough about the pulsing. Now there's an unexplained bit of damage. They agreed to send a photo to Triumph but predicted that they would blame the damage and not be prepared to deal with it under warranty. If this happens I will not be a happy camper.
Caoimhín

Offline woody

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Sunny Swindon
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 10:54:09 pm »
Thanks gents, you've been a great help.
I will check a few things out on the bike before i take it into the dealer and you've given a few extra things to think about and questions to ask them.
I will keep you posted when i find out more.
This is a great resource of knowledge and experience....once again thanks for your help.
Nothing to fear but fear itself!

Offline StanL

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: R3T,Trophy SE
  • City / Town: North Myrtle Beach
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 09:17:17 pm »
I have the same problem with the judder, started about 6,000 mi and been getting worse now 7,000 mi talked to dealer who contacted Triumph an was told they haven't had any other inquires about this problem. Dealer will check run out of disc. Have tried deglazing, hard breaking still has judder. Will follow up after dealer check.

tweedy-bunch