Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Avon Storm 3D X-M - Grand!!!  (Read 11020 times)

• Offline janfmiller   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    931
    • Topic Author

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • Bike: Was: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
    Avon Storm 3D X-M - Grand!!!
    on: Mar 19, 2017, 09.16 pm
    Mar 19, 2017, 09.16 pm
    I have put about 1300 miles on these tires on my '13 TTSE.  Best tires yet.  Excellent straight line stability, impeccible handling, will way outperform ME....  If the mileage is there I doubt I'll switch again.  Previous favs were PR4's, these handle a bit lighter, corner better.   I'm interested in how they will perform in rain, hasn't happened yet so jury is out on that, PR4's were very confidence inspiring in the rain.... Had Roadsmart II's on previous, good tires, but a bit squiggly in the wet...
    1977 Suzuki TS-185
    1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
    2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES NON-DCT

• Offline NavyDad

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Member  ‐    18

Offline NavyDad

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Member
    Re: Avon Storm 3D X-M - Grand!!!
    Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2017, 12.42 am
    Mar 20, 2017, 12.42 am
    They are great in the rain and I usually got between 7500 and 8500 miles on a set, but as you know most of my riding was two up and in the twisties with rather spirited acceleration and braking. I miss my Trophy, but it has found a good home.

• Offline janfmiller   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    931
    • Topic Author

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • Bike: Was: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
    Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2017, 03.54 pm
    Mar 20, 2017, 03.54 pm
    *Originally Posted by NavyDad [+]
    They are great in the rain and I usually got between 7500 and 8500 miles on a set, but as you know most of my riding was two up and in the twisties with rather spirited acceleration and braking. I miss my Trophy, but it has found a good home.
    Navy Dad, how'd they handle as they wore?  My experience with PR4, most tires, is that they start to 'fight back' about 75% of the way through their lifespan... Notibly the Roadsmart II's did not do that, pretty much stayed the same, not fabulous, but consistant. 
    The Avons just make me smile.  I might do a bit better, when I'm not driving like 67-year-old-More-Kautious-Kenny-Roberts, I drive like 67-Year-Old-Old-Man to make the shoes last longer...   :007:
    1977 Suzuki TS-185
    1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
    2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES NON-DCT

• Offline NavyDad

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Member  ‐    18

Offline NavyDad

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Member
    Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2017, 05.49 pm
    Mar 20, 2017, 05.49 pm
    They did okay as they wore. Never got slippery or anything like that. I could tell they were getting worn when I pushed hard as they would tend to "fall in" a bit more. I always ran the front at 41 psi and the rear at 42. This gave me the best performance and wear for two up riding.

• Offline Troph-@-63-FR   fr

• Trophy Pro  ‐    138

Offline Troph-@-63-FR

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Black
    • City / Town: Brioude
    Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2017, 05.02 pm
    Jun 03, 2017, 05.02 pm
    Hello  :158:,

My first tires on my trophy were "Pirelli Angel GT" which lasted 5000 miles worn out, I did not have a very good driving sensation with so I will not take them back in the future.

Then I put "Avons Storm 3D XM" on my trophy, I have done for 2000 miles and I must say that I am delighted (on dry or wet roads), I had paid with The pose in France 285 . I hope I will make more than 5000 miles with ...  :112:

PS: Avons tires in France are not much known
    Regards,

Troph-@-63-FR
    A good biker, is an old biker !!
    "No Triumph, no glory"

• Offline Verdun95   fr

• Trophy God  ‐    2818

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
    • City / Town: by CDG Airport
    Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2017, 07.44 am
    Jun 07, 2017, 07.44 am
    I fully concurr with comments above, my problem now is it seems that the relationship between the French importer and some Triumph dealers is not as smooth as it used to be, I need a replacement and have been waiting for more than a month now, to such an extent that my dealer contemplates importing the tyres from Germany ...or I will switch back to the Pirellis but that would only be a second choice.
    An old biker must be a good rider

• Offline Troph-@-63-FR   fr

• Trophy Pro  ‐    138

Offline Troph-@-63-FR

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Black
    • City / Town: Brioude
    Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2017, 09.43 am
    Jun 07, 2017, 09.43 am
    *Originally Posted by Verdun95 [+]
    I fully concurr with comments above, my problem now is it seems that the relationship between the French importer and some Triumph dealers is not as smooth as it used to be, I need a replacement and have been waiting for more than a month now, to such an extent that my dealer contemplates importing the tyres from Germany ...or I will switch back to the Pirellis but that would only be a second choice.

Verdun95  :046: :046: , if you want I have a contact phone and email address of professionals at Tires Avons France who are very accomodating  :152: :152: for the delivery of tires
    Regards,

Troph-@-63-FR
    A good biker, is an old biker !!
    "No Triumph, no glory"

• Offline Verdun95   fr

• Trophy God  ‐    2818

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
    • City / Town: by CDG Airport
    Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 2017, 08.24 pm
    Jun 07, 2017, 08.24 pm
    Thanks  for the offer to help, if you don't mind please send me those details through PM. That will be for the next round, went to my dealer this afternoon and got Dunlop Roadsmart III as a replacement, never tried them before, we shall see. Besides there's currently a rebate campaign from Dunlop (30 off  a full set, front + rear)
    An old biker must be a good rider

tweedy-bunch