Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Why do I need a switch?  (Read 6065 times)

• Offline Donk

• Trophy Pro  ‐    195
    • Topic Author

Offline Donk

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: WI & FL
    Why do I need a switch?
    on: Mar 20, 2017, 10.41 pm
    Mar 20, 2017, 10.41 pm
    About to install Denali DM lights on the bike.  I'm planning on using the 12 volt outlet in the glove box to pick up power.  Got to thinking about it, the headlights are on all the time, I want the aux lights on all the time so why do I need a switch?  The switch that comes with it is lighted and I really don't want a lighted switch near the handlebars.  The 12 volt outlet is already on a relay from  the ignition so I could just wire the lights into the power for the outlet and be done with it. Is there a flaw in my thinking?   

• Offline DonTom   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    2016

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
    • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
    Re: Why do I need a switch?
    Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2017, 11.00 pm
    Mar 20, 2017, 11.00 pm
    *Originally Posted by Donk [+]
    About to install Denali DM lights on the bike.  I'm planning on using the 12 volt outlet in the glove box to pick up power.  Got to thinking about it, the headlights are on all the time, I want the aux lights on all the time so why do I need a switch?  The switch that comes with it is lighted and I really don't want a lighted switch near the handlebars.  The 12 volt outlet is already on a relay from  the ignition so I could just wire the lights into the power for the outlet and be done with it. Is there a flaw in my thinking?
    As long as the current draw of the added lamps is below the capacity of the l12 volt outlet, there's no need for a switch, relay or anything, just connect the lamps direct to the outlet.

However, if these added lights are not designed for legal road use, that could be why there is a switch. But you can always wire in a plug if that's the case, so there is still no need for the switch.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
    1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

• Offline Xsv   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    477

Offline Xsv

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE, 2017 BMW
    • City / Town: Washington State
    Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2017, 11.59 pm
    Mar 20, 2017, 11.59 pm
    It looks like they throw in a really nice wiring harness?  I looked at the install and it looks extremely easy with the harness.  If you don't like the switch, pick up another for a few bucks.  It's nice to have the ability to turn them off and/or turn them down with the use of a skene dimmer ($70)

This would at least retain your ability to use your outlet.

• Offline 2slowTrophy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1407

Offline 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
    • City / Town: Dallas TX
    Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2017, 02.37 am
    Mar 21, 2017, 02.37 am
    One thing you might want to consider in installing a switch would be if you ever get in thick fog , bright lights will not let you see very far.
    I leave my LED lights on 99% of the time.
    IBA # 59602
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's

• Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro  ‐    338

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
    Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2017, 10.41 am
    Mar 21, 2017, 10.41 am

My 2013 has had Denali lights installed almost since day one without a switch.  As to the fog question, they are mounted down low on the forks.  I never give them a thought.

• Offline Volfy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    690

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • City / Town: Gulf Coast
    Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2017, 01.18 pm
    Mar 21, 2017, 01.18 pm
    Halogen lights are always better off wired directly off the (+)battery post, not only with a switch but also a relay.  Otherwise, there might be too much voltage drop at the light and output will suffer.   Plus... like the headlights, they should stay off until the engine is started, so the starter gets all the available cranking amps from the battery.  LED lights typically have built-in power supply that aren't too affected by supply voltage drop, and the DM only draws 0.75A per light, so those are non-issues.

That said, looks like the kit comes with a nice wiring harness with relay, fuse, ON/OFF button, connectors, etc. for wiring directly to battery terminals.  Personally, I would use it and tap the switched 12V wire into either the headlight circuit or a switched 12V outlet.  If you don't want a lighted button near the handlebar, you can always just position it so as not to shine toward the rider.  But that's me.

Whatever you do, draw a wiring diagram  (or redline on Denali's wiring diagram) of what you did and stash it under the seat.  It will help you remember if you ever have to trouble shoot later... and if you later decide to sell the bike as is,  it will help the next owner.   More than once, I've had play to forensic detective and trace hacked jobs on used bikes.
    Last Edit: Mar 21, 2017, 01.19 pm by Volfy
    Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

• Offline RC51Ryder

• Trophy Member  ‐    26

Offline RC51Ryder

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2017, 03.41 pm
    Mar 21, 2017, 03.41 pm

You are I are in the same boat.  I have some DM lights on the way and since they were LED, I'm happy to leave them on full time but since the switch is "hard wired" to the harness as far as I can tell, I will see if I can stash that switch under the seat or something.  I will put it on the handlebars if I have to but I won't use it.  As soon as they come, I will take a closer look and let you know what I decide.

Also, since I'm installing a GPS, I was going to use one of the switched wires from it to tell the lights to come on but I think I read in another thread not to do this.  Any reason why?

• Offline Donk

• Trophy Pro  ‐    195
    • Topic Author

Offline Donk

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: WI & FL
    Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2017, 01.04 am
    Mar 23, 2017, 01.04 am
    As far as I know the 12 volt plug is on a relay that does not turn on until after the bike is running and according to other threads should be a good place to tap into for power.  I figured I'd leave the gps power lead for just that, a gps if I ever decide I want one.  I have no reason to ever use a cigarette lighter(sae?) plug in the glove box so I'm not worried about  the power draw to the lights.  I suppose I could always leave the entire Denali harness bundled up under the glove box but that idea doesn't thrill me.