Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Armour  (Read 6391 times)

• Offline Phil   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    478
    • Topic Author

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: London
    Armour
    on: Mar 22, 2017, 08.16 pm
    Mar 22, 2017, 08.16 pm
    I'm considering buying motorcycle armour to fit under a non-biking,  lightweight, summer  jacket.    The idea is to keep cool in the summer but still have some element of protection.

Does anyone have experience with armour who can recommend make, type and  where to buy?   I would prefer to try the kit on before buying so hopefully can avoid using the internet.   

Phil

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5113

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Re: Armour
    Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2017, 08.46 pm
    Mar 22, 2017, 08.46 pm
    Webbikeworld did a whole article on the CE statements used by mfr's these days and it's an eye opener.  CE Tested, CE Certified, and CE Approved don't necessarily mean what you think they do.  The report is in the "Special Reports" section of their website under the CE "Certified" vs "Approved" header and is filled with impartial information.  Might be a good read, and they also have a section devoted to safety armor reviews as well.  Nothing on their website seems to be sugar coated if it's a review that was done by them and not reader submitted.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Volfy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    690

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • City / Town: Gulf Coast
    Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2017, 09.47 pm
    Mar 22, 2017, 09.47 pm
    Motocycle gear protect you in 2 ways: impact and abrasion.  Armor offer primarily the former.  You still need a good abrasion resistant outer layer.  Leather is king, and I wear it as much as the ambient temp permits.  Ballistic nylon and/or heavy denier textile/mesh are acceptable substitute.

I do have several "under armor", like this one bought on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017C4RRNO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a knock-off of the Fox Racing Titan Sport Jacket you can buy at Cycle Gear.  I wear it under MX jersey for dirtbike riding ONLY.  I have gone down at slow speed and ripped the MX jersey, but the armor suit did its job.  I still hurt for days, but no serious impact related injuries.  The key words here are "dirt" and "slow speed".  If you go down road riding at much higher speeds and over concrete/tarmac, your light non-moto jacket and the under armor will offer little abrasion protection.  It's substantially better than riding with no gear at all, but I personally would not do it.

Realistically, wearing an under armor like this under a street jacket this will not be any more comfortable than a good quality mesh jacket designed specifically for hot weather moto.  Get a good one, wear compression undershirt underneath to wick sweat from you skin, and maybe invest in cooling vest.  I've got both an evaporative one for long rides and a phase change one for commuting.  It gets mighty balmy in my neck of the woods, and I've amassed a closet full of moto gear.  Substantial investment, but still cheaper than medical bills.
    Last Edit: Mar 22, 2017, 09.50 pm by Volfy
    Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5113

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2017, 12.15 am
    Mar 23, 2017, 12.15 am
    Given the OP's climate I think he may not need the hot weather gear that Floridians and Texans use.  Good points on armor and outerwear though.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1349

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2017, 10.48 am
    Mar 23, 2017, 10.48 am
    London, stay cool?  They do not sit well together!

I'd definitely recommend a bespoke mesh jacket with armour in it.  I rode a lot in USA and used a Harley Davidson Mesh Jacket that kept me very cool; no feedback, I am pleased to say, on the abrasion or impact part!

I read somewhere that average speeds in London are around 10 mph so I guess the temptation is to ride in a t.shirt & shorts on the odd very hot day but ATGATT has been a mnemonic I swear by.

Love, light and kindness,

Dave
    Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2017, 04.26 pm
    Mar 23, 2017, 04.26 pm
    Two separate things isn't any cooler than a single integrated jacket. I wear this year-round: http://www.dainese.com/us/en/d-explorer-s%2Ft-gore-tex%C2%AE-jacket/201593969.html?dwvar_201593969_color=BLACK%2FBLACK%2FDARK-GULL-GRAY&cgid=motorbike-jackets-goretex#start=1

It has worked in 120*F/15% humidity as well as 95*F/90% humidity and everything down to 32*F without the need for a heated liner. I have the chest armor in the jacket (available separately), so it is has chest, back, shoulders, and elbow armor.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline Travelling2bob   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    544

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Sale
    Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2017, 08.24 pm
    Mar 23, 2017, 08.24 pm
    I won't specifically comment on comparative heat/humity between Pommy Land and Oz just don't compromise on impact and abrasion protection.

If you want to stay cool combine cooling vest and suitable under armour clothing with an approved mesh/vented jacket with rated armour. Drink to maintain hydration and enjoy the ride.
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Triumph Trophy SE
    Triumph Thunderbird 1600
    Triumph Sprint ST
    Ducati ST3

• Offline Shemogolee

• Trophy Member  ‐    74

Offline Shemogolee

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: TTSE2016
    • City / Town: Chilliwack
    Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2017, 05.54 am
    Mar 28, 2017, 05.54 am
    Hi Phil,

I wear an Olympia Air Glide 5. It is a three layer jacket that I wear for all four seasons (on the west coast of Canada). The inner layer is for warmth, the middle layer is the waterproof/windproof one and the outer layer is the abrasion/impact absorbing one. There is CE rated armour at the shoulders, elbows and spine of the outer layer.

The outer layer has mesh panels that allow significant air flow once you are moving and the waterproof/windproof layer can be worn over or under the outer layer. This is my second Olympia Air Glide and I am totally pleased with it. In the summer it's just the outer layer, in the rain it's the outer and middle and in the cooler temperatures it's all three layers. I have ridden in temperatures as low as 0c (32f) and stayed toasty  :152:

best regards, Shemogolee
    If you're not disciplined enough to apply your knowledge and skills you're an accident looking for a place to happen

tweedy-bunch