Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Experience with Star-Tron Fuel Additive  (Read 6301 times)

• Offline KSquared

• Trophy Member  ‐    57
    • Topic Author

Offline KSquared

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: '16 TTSE Pac Blue
    • City / Town: Parkland, FL
    Experience with Star-Tron Fuel Additive
    on: Apr 05, 2017, 01.09 am
    Apr 05, 2017, 01.09 am
    I'm not certain if this is the right board upon which to post this, but has anyone here had any experience with Star-Tron fuel additive in the TTSE?  I've used it for years in my R3T (1 oz per full tank) and I've never had any fueling problems which could be traced back to ethanol contamination.  Indeed, i found a 1-2 mpg improvement when using it.

anyone here have any experience with this additive>

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

• Offline NavyDad

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Member  ‐    18

Offline NavyDad

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Member
    Re: Experience with Star-Tron Fuel Additive
    Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2017, 01.59 am
    Apr 05, 2017, 01.59 am
    I've used it in all my bikes with no issues including the TTSE.

• Offline rpeters549   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    750

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lowell, Or
    Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2017, 07.04 pm
    Apr 05, 2017, 07.04 pm
    I used to do the power tool maintenance for our work crews (power saws, hedge trimmers, weed eaters) and they were all Stihl brand.  What I could not repair went to the shop/dealer.  They use it in EVERY tool they have (when they fill a tank on a repaired tool, etc).  I used it in my Goldwing for better than 10 years.  It was a dual carb motor being a GL1500 and those carbs can be finicky with VERY small idle passages and the like.  In 130,000 miles of riding I never once had to do anything to the carbs but check the balance between them.  Not sure how much the Startron contributed, but I will continue to use it.
    Year round rider here!

• Offline wyso

• Trophy Member  ‐    35

Offline wyso

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Fulton, NY
    Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2017, 04.06 am
    Apr 06, 2017, 04.06 am
    If its a sealed fuel system, ethanol is not a issue.
     In tools and power equipment, they are not always moisture proof fuel systems. 
     The ethanol will keep fuel system clean better than pure gasoline.
     I always say. "If it makes you sleep better at night" buy it.
    In modern cars and motorcycles, its not needed, and will actually lower octane.

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2017, 09.13 am
    Apr 06, 2017, 09.13 am
    I agree with the if it helps you sleep better, but will disagree about the system being sealed, as well as saying ethanol is not an issue.  If you have air, you have moisture, different depending on where you live, etc. The bike's fuel tank allows air in to replace fuel that goes out. So, it is not sealed.  Leave a low fuel level for a while in a metal container, especially with ethanol fuel, and you stand a good chance of corrosion. No, our tanks are not metal, so the issue is lessened. Many carbs have had this issue damage the floats/bowls, needles, etc. Modern injected engines have much less of a problem. Sure, it cleans, but it also damages other materials that fuel alone does not.
    As for lowering octane, that is negligible at best and zero issue.
    Year round rider here!

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2017, 05.09 pm
    Apr 06, 2017, 05.09 pm
    Not trying to be persnickety - just saying that with it I have never had one of the myriad of issues other people have had with other machinery.  This stuff may not be the reason, but the cost is very little for the potential peace of mind.  And it may well do almost all it advertises.

I keep it in an old empty Stabil bottle.  Makes it very easy to squeeze/measure the amount I want when I get home after filling up.
    Year round rider here!

• Offline 2slowTrophy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1401

Offline 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
    • City / Town: Dallas TX
    Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2017, 08.48 pm
    Apr 06, 2017, 08.48 pm
    Ethanol where do I start ,, at the refinery the alcohol is not mixed with gasoline until it is pumped into the transports , ever wonder why the pumps say up to 10% that is why.
    Once the ethanol is under ground in the stations storage tanks it can pick up water from the opening to fill that tank with from the bottom of the tank from the mixing action of filling the storage tank and the alcohol absorb moisture  gasoline does not.
    Ethanol has less power than gasoline .
    I had a Land Rover when the change went over to ethanol I lost 15% in fuel economy so an extra 5% of fuel to burn the 10% ethanol.

I have used Star-Tron , STP and Lucas products.

On my Tiger 1050 I got a bad tank of fuel once I ended pulling the tank off but before I did I tried every fuel additive I could get I knew I had gotten water.
    When I dumped the tank out the water was in beads about 2mm's I had about 1/4 of a gallon of water so the STP ethanol treatment was working to break up the water there was just to much.

Star-Tron and like products work and I use them every tank.

IBA # 59602
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's

• Offline rvbobby   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    416

Offline rvbobby

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy
    • City / Town: Raleigh nc
    Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2017, 01.52 am
    Apr 09, 2017, 01.52 am
    I have used it for several years when i know my bikes are going to sit for more than a few weeks and never have had a problem.

tweedy-bunch