Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Hello From Calgary  (Read 7514 times)

Offline DreamingBig

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Calgary
Hello From Calgary
« on: June 19, 2013, 04:47:30 PM »
Hello!

I am actually trying to do some research for my next bike.  I have narrowed it down to 2, Trophy SE, and a MTS Grandtarismo.

Now I have take both out for a ride and, well the Ducati puts a hug smile on my face and is a lot of fun, but the trophy is more comfortable, but not by much. 

I did not really get to play on the trophy as it was during a rain and hale storm,( great weather protection) and therefore a shorter and slower ride.

Now I plan on making this my primary mode of transport in spring summer and fall, so any insight would be great! Thank you in advance.

John

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: Hello From Calgary
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 05:34:30 PM »
Welcome to the group and decision.

Possibly you are on the wrong group for unbiased answers.  Go with the trophy?  I have never owned a ducati so cannot comment further.  I did go to buy a new duke once but the salesman said what sort of riding did I do and when I said commuting he sadi that it was not the bike for me.  On the other hand it was a hail wood replica and it was when they first came out so a couple of years ago  :018:

Offline DreamingBig

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 06:27:56 PM »
I understand that on this Forum that it would be a little bias, but then again, almost all are it seems.  I have noticed through reading the posts on here that there are a few Gents with a MTS and a Trophy, so I thought that this was the one to ask in.

You see, my wife as given me the go ahead for a new bike come Jan 2014, so I am doing my do diligence to make sure it is money well spent.  I can always filter out the extremely biased opinions if need be, but I think everyone's opinion are worth while.  it also gives me insight into the owner ship of the bike. 

I am leaning towards the trophy because of comfort, which for me is paramount,( busted low back and all ), but I also need to be able to have fun and make sure that I ride more than it is in the shop.

Thank you again

John 

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 06:53:47 PM »
this is clearly a matter of personal choice: I've never ridden a Ducati but I can tell you I just love my Blue Beauty.. :001:
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 07:25:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by DreamingBig [+]
Hello!

I am actually trying to do some research for my next bike.  I have narrowed it down to 2, Trophy SE, and a MTS Grandtarismo.

Now I have take both out for a ride and, well the Ducati puts a hug smile on my face and is a lot of fun, but the trophy is more comfortable, but not by much. 

I did not really get to play on the trophy as it was during a rain and hale storm,( great weather protection) and therefore a shorter and slower ride.

Now I plan on making this my primary mode of transport in spring summer and fall, so any insight would be great! Thank you in advance.

John

If your commuting dude take a look at the service intervals and cost of the service. Has John has said I have never owned a Ducati and although I love the look and the sound I never will.
But has I always say "ya pay ya money ya take ya chance"  :028: :028:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 07:54:40 PM »
As one other poster said you are not likely to get an unbiased answer on the Trophy forum.  I will say that from personal experience the Trophy is a very good commuting bike.  I have a close friend who bought a Ducati for "bombing around" and commuting. It was not a Grandturismo though. By his own words he regretted the decision from a commuting aspect. In fact he ended up getting rid of the bike after one year.  In my opinion you can't go wrong with the Trophy but you could go wrong with the Ducati.

Oh and Welcome to the Forum
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Online RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy & Tiger 1
  • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 08:09:24 PM »
I really can't comment on the non Triumph alternative, as I had to look up a picture of the Multistrada!

It's a very different bike to the Trophy for sure, very much closer to my own Tiger Explorer in fact (not wanting to muddy the waters even further, but have you considered one of those too?).

Aren't the bikes that you are choosing from so very different that only one will come close to meeting your needs?

Offline DreamingBig

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 08:30:38 PM »
Yes, they are two very different bikes.  though the Multistrada is supposed to be the best all rounder.  I did look at that tiger and the explorer I did not find them comfortable.  the thing is I am looking for a bike that can do everything that I need it to.  I do not go off road, but every weekend I also do about 800 km on my current bike. plus the occasional commute.  I have found it very difficult to find a good bike that could cover all the bases well and still be a blast to ride. 

w8d4it,

Yes service costs on the Multistrada are almost double on a good day.

Verdun95,

Yes it is a very personal choice, the thing is though I think more with my head then my heart, and on that one the Trophy has won.  I just wish I have been able to actually get a test ride in that was more then 50kph in rain and hail, ( the demo rider did not like being out in that weather on a bonnie.)

tweedy-bunch