Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Deals Gap..."the Dragon."  (Read 4888 times)

• Offline bigcountry   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    292
    • Topic Author

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 15 Trophy, 06 Tiger
    • City / Town: Gretna, LA
    Deals Gap..."the Dragon."
    on: May 08, 2017, 12.46 am
    May 08, 2017, 12.46 am
    So, this weekend we camped at "two wheels" of Suchess GA.    On Friday the weather cleaned up and we rode to Deals Gap.   Initially, I was a bit worried because it was raining off and on all the way there.   In any case, we rode the dragon and I left totally unimpressed.  I was worried about the curves, wet roads,....    For some reason, the dragon has become folklore for riders and a must do....   Don't waste your time.   The roads in NC, GA, Tenn, WV, Ohio are way better and more challenging.  Glad I did it..waste of time really.    If I upset anyone....Sorry, I wish I would have tried something more challenging and fun.  Oh, Mini Coopers were all over the place.   Glad we went on a Friday.  I hear??? that the weekends are really crowded.  I had the whole road to myself.  That part was great.      Cheers Bill
    Big Country

• Offline PhilInAthens   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    303

Offline PhilInAthens

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '14 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Athens, GA
    Re: Deals Gap..."the Dragon."
    Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 01.33 am
    May 08, 2017, 01.33 am
    Yep! I am with ya! The Tail of the Dragon is hardly the most "technical ride" I've ever been on.  By no means.  Far from it!  However, the surrounding roads (including the continuation of roads leading south from the Dragon) are wonderful.  I love the riding in western North Carolina, northern Georgia, West Virginia (in general) and southwestern Virgina.  The whole region is a must see and ride.  The BRP is the king in these parts (but, by no means "technical"), and many of the surrounding roads are just amazing.

I live in these parts (northern Georgia) and so I'm a bit biased. Come ride with us!  Ride the "Dragon", the "Snake" and all the others. And, please ride the BRP! Add them all to your been-there-done-that list. You'll be very thankful you did!  :001: :821:

• Trophy Pro  ‐    292
    • Topic Author

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 02.47 am
    May 08, 2017, 02.47 am
    Yep, Phil-you're right.  I like many of the roads I round that area.  I had no idea that GA was that great.  In the rain and fog the road to the "Two Wheels" of Suches was pretty tricky.  I took Hwy 60 down on Saturday.  That was nice.  I want to try " The Gorge" and "The Snake" and the "Natchez trail" over the next few months into 2017.  I rode in from New Orleans so it takes some planning.   It's 8 to 9 hours on good day.  So, at least two days are the ride to and from which leaves me a day or two to find some routes.     Cheers Bill
    Big Country

• Offline tdragger   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    604

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Fredericksburg
    Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 12.44 pm
    May 08, 2017, 12.44 pm
    You guys went in with the wrong expectations.  The Tail of the Dragon is only a focal point for the motorcycle tourism industry in the area.  It's been a long time since folks have considered it any sort of 'technical' ride.  You cruise through, get your picture made, and head out to one of the many fine roads in the area.  (Don't forget your dragon sticker at the Deal's Gap store)

Cherohala Skyway, Wayah Rd, NC 28 North and South, 238,...are all great roads to get more 'technical'.
    -------------------------------------
    15 Triumph Trophy SE (2019 Iron Butt Rally, 2022 LDX Rally)
    16 Triumph Trophy SE (2021 Iron Butt Rally)
    IBA #609

• Offline lemuriano

• Trophy Pro  ‐    200

Offline lemuriano

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Jacksonville, Fl
    Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 03.29 pm
    May 08, 2017, 03.29 pm
    *Originally Posted by tdragger [+]
    You guys went in with the wrong expectations.  The Tail of the Dragon is only a focal point for the motorcycle tourism industry in the area.  It's been a long time since folks have considered it any sort of 'technical' ride.  You cruise through, get your picture made, and head out to one of the many fine roads in the area.  (Don't forget your dragon sticker at the Deal's Gap store)

Cherohala Skyway, Wayah Rd, NC 28 North and South, 238,...are all great roads to get more 'technical'.

+1 The area is a rider paradise if you search a little and talk to locals. Last month did Wayah Rd and included Telico Rd which is a dirt road. Around Suches, the Gauntlet is a nice starting route. Also, camp for a few days in Plumtree and did 261, 226, 80, 197 and the Bat Cave Rd in route to Chimney Rock, just to name a few. By the way there is a nice microbrewery in Plumtree that offer a shuttle, so no need to worry about a few beers.  :821: Did I say I love the area!!
    Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 03.33 pm by lemuriano
    An apprentice in life, perhaps with the spirit of a Café Racer
    IBA #60953

• Offline OhioWinger   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    394

Offline OhioWinger

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Southern Ohio
    Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 08.18 pm
    May 08, 2017, 08.18 pm
    Deals Gap, would be fun if there was no traffic and the speed limit was 55mph.

If one were to ride at 30 mph, it would be very boring!

• Trophy Pro  ‐    292
    • Topic Author

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 02.52 am
    May 09, 2017, 02.52 am
    Ohio Winger, we talked about doing some southern Ohio rides too.   We hear alot about that area.  I may come back to you for some ideas.   
    Big Country

• Offline duncanmacster

• Trophy Member  ‐    58

Offline duncanmacster

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy SE, 2 BMWs
    • City / Town: Melbourne
    Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 03.26 am
    May 09, 2017, 03.26 am
    The Tail suffers from an overdose of popularity and too close attention from the highway patrol; but as has been pointed out, there is SO much in the area. I stayed at a most excellent B&B on the Tennessee side where mine host Daryl, who rides a Harley, knows the area like the back of his hand and pointed me in the right direction. http://www.sweetberriesbedandbreakfast.com/
    I believe