Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Completely Dead Battery  (Read 5214 times)

• Offline Collybus

• Trophy Member  ‐    99
    • Topic Author

Offline Collybus

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Quincy Ma
    Completely Dead Battery
    on: May 11, 2017, 12.47 am
    May 11, 2017, 12.47 am
    It looks like I thought I was locking the steering column but had actually put the bike away with the parking lights on. Now the battery is completely dead. Searched the forums but all I'm seeing is possible causes of the dead battery, but not how to get it going again. By the way: 2016 TTSE with 250 miles on it.   :110:

I have a trickle charger but it's not even showing an effort to charge the battery. So I bought a portable power pack, charged it up until the green light on the unit supposedly indicated a full charge, and connected it directly to the battery posts. The electronics went on, the TEC recalibrated, but not a peep out of the starter.

Is the battery toast? Maybe the portable power pack just needs a lot more charging even though it had a green light? Maybe a poor connection to the posts - the clamps are pretty large and the space to put them onto the posts pretty small? In a related question, once I get it going again, either by a new battery or a good boost from the power pack, will there be any residual issues? Will the profiles, radio presets, etc all need to be reset? Any more serious repercussions?

• Offline PhilInAthens   gr

• Trophy Pro  ‐    288

Offline PhilInAthens

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '14 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Athens, GA
    Re: Completely Dead Battery
    Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 01.49 am
    May 11, 2017, 01.49 am
    A 2016!!!! For the love of God! Have they not got this squared away?!?!

This is the same, next-morning, experience I had with my brand new, freshly delivered (literally), 2014 TTSE back in January 2014! 

It was dead as hammer!!!

Check the battery terminal connections to ensure all is tight. Regardless; Call the dealer and have them scoop it up and sort it out!!!

• Offline oakville

• Trophy Pro  ‐    121

Offline oakville

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE 2013
    • City / Town: Oakville
    Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 02.56 am
    May 11, 2017, 02.56 am
    Good grief Phil.  He accidentally activated the parking lights.  The radio issue was fixed by a software update to the radio which can be checked.  That was several years ago.

Try using your car or a car battery charger to boost the battery up to snuff to start it.  One the bike is running it should reset the battery to full charge quite quickly.

• Offline atrophy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    517

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
    • City / Town: SW Ohio
    Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 03.28 am
    May 11, 2017, 03.28 am
    The trophy wont start unless the clutch is pulled in.
    2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
    2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
    IBA 24605

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10000

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 08.10 am
    May 11, 2017, 08.10 am
    If the battery has been completely flattened,
    it may well be beyond recovery, and will need replacing.

At best it will need a charger / booster with a hefty output to kick start it back to life.

Until you have a fully charged battery installed there's not much point
    trying to diagnose non-starting issues, but we are here to help if this becomes an issue.

You may well find that once you're up and running the Malfunction Indicator Lamp ( MIL ) is on
    as a result of the Low Voltage, with one or more Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC's ) stored.

If you do, then check out this Topic where you can learn how to display any DTC's
    on your Instrument Panel, and download a "Word" Document giving an explanation
    of the various Codes, most of which will clear after a certain number of "No Fault" start ups :
    Servicing Data, Reference Info. & DTC ( Fault ) Codes - Post Reply #8.

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 10.58 am by Coconut

• Offline Collybus

• Trophy Member  ‐    99
    • Topic Author

Offline Collybus

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Quincy Ma
    Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 04.56 pm
    May 11, 2017, 04.56 pm
    Thank you. I'll report back.

You'd think a bike this smart wouldn't allow itself to be run down to this extent because lights were left on.

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 10.05 pm
    May 11, 2017, 10.05 pm
    I've accidentally left the parking lights on once, thankfully I noticed about 2 hours later so no big deal, the engine did start. I got to say, the ignition switch just doesn't feel great to me, even when turning from run to the off position, sometimes the key doesn't want to come out, it's like there's a false natural in there. :008: 

• Offline PhilInAthens   gr

• Trophy Pro  ‐    288

Offline PhilInAthens

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '14 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Athens, GA
    Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 01.39 am
    May 12, 2017, 01.39 am
    Sorry folks. I might have over reacted a bit. BUT, the "...fixed by a software update to the radio which can be checked.  That was several years ago" is simply not the case. Mine still isn't right. No tender - dead battery...   Love riding the bike! But, the audio unit (and all things electrical on this puppy) is totally a pain in the neck.

Again. A wee bit frustrated... :006:

tweedy-bunch