Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Rattle when starting  (Read 3973 times)

Offline Triplenut

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Cologne
Re: Rattle when starting
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 08:51:04 PM »
Well, the TTSE just managed a 2,500 km trip to La Rochelle and back, without any problems. The startup rattle has gone away, probably because we were riding it every few days.
Fuel consumption averaged out at 5.5 litres/ 100 km, using French motorways at 130 km/h
I agree the rattle is not a good feature, but it doesn't seem to be a major issue, unlike the atrocious drivetrain on my last BMW...

Steve

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 10:44:43 PM »
Just a bit off topic, but bear with me.  We used to run the 827 in my job  around 20 yrs ago. Great car with the honda v6 engine, but brakes were weak and the bodies rotted after a few years. Always had a slight tick on idle which they never fixed and we had 20 of them.  My trophy is quite random with its rattle. Sometimes the same day on start up, sometimes never for weeks, other times only after standing a while. It doesnt sound good, but if it doesnt do any harm, I'll live with it. I always hope it behaves itself when I start up next to a bm or hd, particularly after all the ribbing I give my friends who have them

Offline william

• Trophy Pro
  • its not your beliefs that make you a better person
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Henderson, KY
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 09:32:00 AM »
My bike has developed a horrible rattle at start up and continues forever. Always rattling. Sounds like chain hitting side of engine.

I had head replacement 12k ago. Along with several other parts replaced due to engine malfunction.

I took to dealer to basically get 10k service.... 10k on new top end.

Service guy said top end was perfect. Only had to adjust one valve. Perfect compression. Perfect oil pressure.

He called triumph on rattles. It's in bottom of engine and with the 70k miles on bike they did not seem to worried.

He seems to think it is what he called gear lash. And of course to really get to cause they would have to do surgery and that was going to be on my dime.

And of course 70k and 4 years old I understand triumph cannot take care of this. They did do top end out of warranty. But of course mine was one with top end issues from the start.

So I decided to just bring it home.

I'm gonna try a heavier oil to see if it gets any quitter.

There is no issue with power. I get on the throttle and it takes off like a rocket. And of course I higher rom I notice no unusual noise. I have red lined several times in first two gears. It runs very well.

Only upside is I picked up a new explorer xrt. I love it as well as the trophy. Different bikes. Different features. Everything is different. But apples to apples I like it as well as trophy for what I want it for. Trade offs on both bikes. But if you can afford both, I suggest you do it.

Offline Monterey

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Capitola, California
Re: Rattle when starting Possible solution
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 05:45:22 AM »
My instincts tell me that the "anti drain back"  valving in the oil filter, is letting the oil drain out of the head down into the sump. This would occur when the bike is parked for a time.     Before there was anti drain back valving in filters, my old timy engines all rattles and thumped til the pressure built up.   I am certain  this is a failure of the oil filter.

I may try changing filters  to a HI FLO if my rattle continues.

Offline audio2u

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Springfield
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 04:47:42 AM »
Triplenut,
From personal experience, I can assure you that you SHOULD get that matter resolved ASAP!
My 2013 did that for about 3,000km, and then the timing chain jumped a cog.
You can guess the rest!
I was 2 months out of warranty, but because I had had every service done by the book and on time, Triumph agreed to cover the engine rebuild and parts.
Ended up needing:
1 new piston and sleeve
12 new valves
1 new cam shaft
1 new pushrod
and maybe some other crap I can't remember.
Basically, that rattle only occurs at startup, because the engine oil has all returned to the sump. So the rattle is caused by the timing chain being too loose. Once it gets soaked in oil again, the rattle goes away.
But you are riding a ticking time bomb.
And if you're out of warranty when the timing chain DOES decide to jump a tooth (because it's stretched so much and the tensioner is failing at its job), you might find yourself ending up wearing the cost of the rebuild.
Maybe you'll be lucky.
But after my experience, there's no way I'd be continuing to ride your machine now.
Just my 2 cents...
My bike history: (1) c.1982 Honda CT125, (2) c.1986 Yamaha SRX250, (3) 1988 Honda CBR1000FH, (4) 1989 Suzuki GSX-R750 Slingshot, (5) 2012 Suzuki Boulevard M90, (6) 2013 Triumph Trophy SE.

Offline Motogroove

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: MADISON
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 08:12:11 PM »
My 2016 did this the other day,after sitting for almost two months.
Clearly, it's related to the oil draining down (one way or the other).

I had two thoughts:
1) I wish I could turn the motor over without starting it, to pump up the oil before adding the force of ignition. If it had a kick-starter this would be easy. I wondered about wiring in an ignition system bypass, but immediately thought about ways that could fail and strand me somewhere. There might be a simple fool-proof way, but I'm no expert in the electrical area.

2) I wish I could add a pre-oiler system of some kind. I think they did this in some turbo applications. Probably complicated and heavy.

Thanks for adding me to the group!

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
  • Born in the USA but really like the UK
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE Black
  • City / Town: Lees Summit, MO
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 01:47:47 AM »
 :435: It seems a simple approach would be to start the engine every few days and let idle or ride to normal operating temperature.  If it continues get the timing chain replaced! IMHO  :005:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto your own understanding, but in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 06:36:29 AM »
My '13 has the rattle, but it's much more noticeable when restarting after riding it for awhile; much less prevalent during cold startups.  Sounds like the same problem, but now I wonder!
STONEY

tweedy-bunch