Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] UK members advice for trip from the US  (Read 3111 times)

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5042
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    UK members advice for trip from the US
    on: Jun 11, 2017, 04.11 am
    Jun 11, 2017, 04.11 am
    Considering a trip to the UK to Woebley to visit (possibly for the last time) my wife's who are very frail and suffering from dementia and other illnesses, and our intent is to give their son and daughter in-law a couple of weeks break in caring for them (with the usual UK medical assistance that is already in place for them of course).  It's really taking a toll on their son and DIL and we want to be able to help them in any way possible.  Bear in mind that these are very dear relatives that have been here and are in their 90's and we have had many wonderful experiences together, not the least of which was the Admiral Nimitz WW11 museum in Fredericksburg, Texas, where Jim related all the details of all the British ships that were honored there.  As a Viet Nam vet it meant a lot to go there with a kindred spirit from another time.  We've taken the train from the Heathrow/Paddington station connection before, and for cost effectiveness we're thinking of taking the bus this time.  How long is the bus trip to Hereford from Paddington?  We've only done the train before on first class, and while very comfortable, it's also very expensive.  Any suggestions?

One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline cropbiker   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    4934

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
    • Midlands biker
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Worcester
    Re: UK members advice for trip from the US
    Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2017, 06.59 am
    Jun 11, 2017, 06.59 am
    The bus likely will be a bit cheaper but will possibly take a lot longer and stop at more destinations alone the way. That could be a nice way of seeing the country.

If you travel by train there are lots of frequent direct trains from Paddington through to Hereford. You don't need to travel first class, standard fare is good and you can reserve seats. Use a website like https://thetrainline.com and book well enough in advance and depending on your times even first class is not too bad and you get all the advantages of first class lounge at Paddington and free food and drink on the train.

I did a quick check with a date a couple of weeks in the future and Paddington to Hereford could be 38 std or 79 first and then the return 2 weeks later 81 std or 97 first!
    Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

• Offline cropbiker   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    4934

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
    • Midlands biker
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Worcester
    Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2017, 07.04 am
    Jun 11, 2017, 07.04 am
    Of course th other option being here for a couple of weeks depending on how much you will want to explore is to hire a car. Depends how confident you will feel driving on the correct side of the road with a right hand drive? Ordered in advance automatic cars are readily available.

With a car you get the option then perhaps to visit places like the National Arboretum memorials at Alrewas which sounds like it might be a poignant location for you and your hosts if they are fit to travel, though it sounds possibly not.
    Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5042
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2017, 03.23 pm
    Jun 11, 2017, 03.23 pm
    We have always rented a car on our previous trips, once at the airport in Birmingham and drove down to Hereford where they used to live, and twice in Hereford, then drove the short trip to Woebley.  Having a car was convenient, but even if we stay in a B&B in Woebley it's only about a 3 or 4 block walk to where they live, so that's not a problem.  Being able to reserve a seat on standard train fare would be a nice option.  Airfare is much lower going into Birmingham or Manchester so we may even change plans to arrive somewhere other than Heathrow. 
    Thanks for your input,
    Glenn

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10131

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2017, 03.34 pm
    Jun 11, 2017, 03.34 pm
    trophied,

Once you know the date of travel, and if you are flying in to Birmingham, let me know,
    and if I am not working ( I work most Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays ) then I could pick you up
    ( by car not Trophy ! ) and take you to Weobley, Herefordshire ( not "Woebley" ! ).

It's about 73 miles from the airport to there, and would take around 1 Hr 40 minutes by car.

Last Edit: Mar 28, 2020, 08.52 pm by Coconut

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5042
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2017, 02.01 am
    Jun 12, 2017, 02.01 am
    As of a conversation with my wife's relatives DIL earlier today who has a brain surgery pending it looks like it could be July, August, or even September before we make the trip.  Now the plan is to take care of the elderly relatives AND help their son during his wife's recovery, which will make for a huge load on him with 3 patients to watch over.  There is in-home care for the elderly, but they try to keep the visits under control as it's a huge expense for them.  We may need to stay two or three weeks, depending on her surgery recovery.  I am absolutely amazed at the offer by Coconut, and my wife was truly shocked that someone would make such an offer to a stranger.  Gotta love you guys!  Again, things may not work out to take advantage of transportation to "Weobley" (I always get that wrong!), but the offer is much appreciated.
    Thanks so much to all,
    Glenn

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10131

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2017, 07.07 am
    Aug 07, 2017, 07.07 am