Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Back on a Trophy - Should have never sold the old one, but then...  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Omnix

• Trophy Junior
  • Finally, the perfect bike for me - Triumph Trophy
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy Launch
  • City / Town: Allen, TX
In 2000, I bought a new Triumph Trophy 1200 from the BMW/Triumph dealership in Austin.  I liked the bike, and rode the snot out of it for 5 years.  However, in 2005, I/we decided to sell it (and the wife's Trident 900) when we moved to Dallas - for multiple reasons.

The 2000 Trophy was a good (but not perfect) bike for me.  While I added an aftermarket electronic cruise control and several other accessories; it still lacked the "touring" capabilities I wanted.  I wanted a mid-sized touring bike, with enough cajones to ride a little aggressively...  I never could understand why most of the manufacturers seemed to think that all "sport-touring" riders wanted really heavy bikes with saddle-bags; but lacking in most of the other amenities/features typically wanted/needed by long-distance (aka touring) riders.  Where was the cruise control?  Why were most of them chain drive?  Why were many of them still carbureted?  Why were/are most of them only 5-speed?  Etc...

So, in 2009, I got the itch for another bike; and decided to buy a Honda ST1300.  Unfortunately, I quickly learned that the ST was no where as good (for me) as the Trophy.  It was uncomfortable, jerky, heavy, and just didn't do what I wanted a "sport-touring" bike to do...

Needless to say, I was pleased to learn that Triumph had revamped/revived the Trophy, which would be available later in the year.  The new bike seemed to have everything I wish the older model had - shaft drive, cruise control, AM/FM radio, bluetooth, adjustable screen, comfortable (long-range) seat, etc.  While I like the new FJ's and Concours, the only real competition in my mind was used BMWs (GT or RT).  I don't know what it is about these Euro-Trash bikes; but they just appeal to me...

So, despite the fact that I didn't think I would be able to swing a new bike; I decided to stop by RPM Cycles in Dallas to check the new Trophy out - perhaps take one on a test ride.  Well, the test ride reminded me just how much I like Triumph (and hate Honda), not to mention feeding my "new bike" demon.  In addition to excellent customer service, the guys at RPM made me a good offer on my ST, and threw in a few perks; "forcing" me to cave in and buy the "Launch bike" they had on the showroom floor.  Hey, I save $20 a month, get better gas mileage, have all of the features I want/need, like the ergonomics better, like the power delivery better - it was an offer I couldn't refuse.   :038:

After taking the bike home, playing with the settings for a few hours, I took it on a quick run to Oklahoma, with the stereo blaring Slacker Radio from my cell phone.  And, once again, I'm a happy Triumph "RAT" owner.

So, while I should never have sold the 2000 Trophy, I don't know if I would have been able to get the new one without the equity I had in the ST.

Maybe some day I'll take this one on a real trip...  Now that my son is grown/out of the house, and the ex-wife has decided to plague someone else, I might get a chance to go exploring.  Hmm, Colorado, Oregon, California, Wyoming, Canada, Alaska, Europe, South America, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Africa???  For some reason, now, I've got Bob Seger songs being sung with a British lilt in my head...

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Back on a Trophy - Should have never sold the old one, but then...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 09:09:02 AM »
 :400: :400: :400: :400:

Hi there and welcome back to the fold, I too am a returning Trumpeter after a sojourn with Kawasaki and BMW.

You will find there are a few people with gripes and moans over teething problems. Got to be expected with a new model. But on the whole people seem to be totally and utterly smitten with the qualities of the new Trophy!

I am loving mine!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline crazyman

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Crystal Beach, FL
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 11:00:18 AM »
 :400: Welcome (back) to Triumph.  And the forum.

Offline RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy & Tiger 1
  • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 08:22:40 PM »
Welcome back to Triumph and thanks for taking the time to write such detail about your biking background  :028:

While I don't have the Trophy (I've got the Trophy's disreputable/irresponsible little brother, the Tiger Explorer), I've owned nothing but Triumphs since 1995 and can't imagine what it would take to move me away from them! I really wish you the very best with your new Trophy and hope you enjoy it even more than your old one  :001:

John.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 01:05:54 AM »
Welcome to the Forum  :400: and welcome back to Triumph  :821:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline louis-charles

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE bleu
  • City / Town: Charleroi
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 08:22:22 AM »
 :401: :401: :401:
It is better to lose one minute of his life that to be killed in one minute...

tweedy-bunch