Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: TPMS Battery Problem  (Read 4675 times)

• Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro  ‐    121
    • Topic Author

Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Glendale, AZ
    TPMS Battery Problem
    on: Jun 21, 2017, 09.13 pm
    Jun 21, 2017, 09.13 pm
    It isn't pretty and I don't know if it will work, but I'm willing to give it a try. While my wheels are getting powder coated I decided to see if I could come up with a solution for the Triumph disposable TPM sensors, and see if I can make mine.......well un-disposable. The thought of having to spend $300.00+ to get new sensors every 2-3 years when the batteries start to die, is a bit hard to swallow. So I decided to give this a try.

While the original battery was still attached I soldered a couple of leads to the arms inside the sensor. I drilled 2 small holes in the sensor lid so the soldered leads could pass through to the outside of the sensor. I then soldered the leads to to a modified CR2032 battery holder. When I say modified I mean the switch part of the battery holder was ground off as was a bit of the sides, and the positive lead was soldered directly to the exposed metal of the battery holder. After the battery holder was soldered and a new battery was installed, I snipped the old batteries off the sensor internals. Then I JB welded the battery holder to the bottom of the sensor. Like I said it isn't pretty but everything is very secure and wont come loose as the wheels are spinning. The battery is secured and prevented from sliding out, by the assembled tire valve, and because the battery is positioned on the bottom of the sensor, as the wheel spins the battery and the battery holder are compressed together. If this works, each time I change a tire I'll be able to easily change out the battery with a new one. If this will work I wont know for a couple of weeks until I get my wheels back and get everything back together. If it doesn't work I'll be removing my new tires and installing the new sensors. Wish me luck, and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Current Bikes
    2013 Triumph Trophy SE
    2013 Burgman 650
    2005 BMW K1200LT
    2004 BMW R1150RT

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Re: TPMS Battery Problem
    Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2017, 09.52 pm
    Jun 21, 2017, 09.52 pm
    Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

• Offline swannie007

• Trophy Member  ‐    91

Offline swannie007

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy SE abs
    • City / Town: Ripon
    Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2017, 04.40 am
    Jun 22, 2017, 04.40 am
    I can see no reason why it wouldn't work as long as the replacement battery is of the same electrical specification (volts, amps, etc.) I think that it is such bullsh#t that these can't be made with the provision to replace batteries to begin with. The price for replacements is also just pure extortion! I will definitely be doing something similar when my sensors batteries die.
    Good luck and keep us posted on how it all works out. Cheers.

• Offline skiprat

• Trophy Pro  ‐    121

Offline skiprat

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2012 Trophy A1
    • City / Town: Middlesbrough
    Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2017, 10.43 pm
    Jun 22, 2017, 10.43 pm
    I think if this works the deciding factor was keeping volts onto the board, I didn't and it did not occur to me till later when my battery exchange had failed and TPMS sender and ECM would not "pair" that this might have been a better process, anyway good luck with it and as you say could save a lot of money over the years.

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2017, 08.02 am
    Jun 23, 2017, 08.02 am
    *Originally Posted by skiprat [+]
    I think if this works the deciding factor was keeping volts onto the board, I didn't and it did not occur to me till later when my battery exchange had failed and TPMS sender and ECM would not "pair" that this might have been a better process, anyway good luck with it and as you say could save a lot of money over the years.

How long approximately did you leave the board without any power? A Trophy owner on the other forum said that he removed/replaced the battery in his without keeping any voltage supply to the terminals and it worked out OK.

I'm guessing that there maybe a capacitor etc on that board that still holds volts for a short period of time??

• Offline skiprat

• Trophy Pro  ‐    121

Offline skiprat

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2012 Trophy A1
    • City / Town: Middlesbrough
    Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2017, 10.48 pm
    Jun 23, 2017, 10.48 pm
    How long approximately did you leave the board without any power? A Trophy owner on the other forum said that he removed/replaced the battery in his without keeping any voltage supply to the terminals and it worked out OK.

Both TPMS senders were done inside of an hour or so, both batteries were at 3.01v still working but bringing up " LO BATTERY POWER" at every start.

• Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro  ‐    121
    • Topic Author

Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: Glendale, AZ
    Re: TPMS Battery Problem......... Update
    Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2017, 09.54 am
    Aug 08, 2017, 09.54 am
    Well that was a waste of time. For reasons that I can't explain that battery mod did not work :012:. Today I finally got a chance to put the newly powder coated wheels back together and back on my TT. Went for a ride and the TPM sensors no longer communicate with the ECU and after a few miles I get the bright red TPMS warning light indicating there is something wrong with the TPM system. Oh well, you win some and you lose some. I guess I'll be ordering new sensors, removing the new Michelin PR4-GT tires from my nice powder coated wheels to install the sensors, then pay the dealer to hook the bike up to their computer to get the new sensors to work. Sorry guys, I thought it would work but in the end I was wrong.
    Current Bikes
    2013 Triumph Trophy SE
    2013 Burgman 650
    2005 BMW K1200LT
    2004 BMW R1150RT

• Offline karl

• Trophy Pro  ‐    317

Offline karl

• Trophy Pro
    • City / Town: Hampden, MA
    Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2017, 05.57 pm
    Aug 08, 2017, 05.57 pm
    The first car I bought that came with TPMS in 2008 the wheel sensors are still going strong.  Are the units that Triumph uses that bad? 
    The Beast