Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Brake calliper corrosion  (Read 1915 times)

• Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro  ‐    213
    • Topic Author

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy A1
    • City / Town: Simonstone, Lancs
    Brake calliper corrosion
    on: Jun 22, 2017, 09.18 pm
    Jun 22, 2017, 09.18 pm
    I changed my front brake pads today. Only one of the (8) old ones was worn, so I have kept the remainder for another day. However several of the pads seemed stuck (not just the one opposite the worn one). Not only that, but I am concerned by the signs of corrosion within the calliper itself. Some of the pads seemed to have "welded" themselves to the calliper itself, and the centre posts - dividing the two pads on one side, appeared to have somewhat diminished. I have attached a photo of the calliper in the hope that someone can confirm whether the centre posts on mine have eroded somewhat (or not)?
    Pacific Blue Trophy A1
    Honda Bros 650 (since import from Japan in '95)
    History (best of):
    KE125, CB250T, DT400, GS425, GS650G, XR200, CB900F2, FJ1200, K1200RS

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    941

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Re: Brake calliper corrosion
    Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2017, 09.03 am
    Jun 23, 2017, 09.03 am
    There does seem to be some corrosion on the pistons and alloy of the caliper body, but I have seen worse.
    try cleaning the pistons with a strip of rag about 10mm wide x 400mm long. Put some brasso or other mild abrasive polish on the rag and you can do half of one piston at a time using a pull/pull motion.  It may just be brake dust, but the leading edge of one piston is showing rust. If you place a wood or plastic stop between the pistons of the opposite caliper you can operate the front lever to get the pistons out a little further for better cleaning, but dont over do it. All of this depends on your skill levels as well, we are talking about the brakes here. I clean the pistons with brake cleaner before they are pushed back. Once pushed back, you could then clean the alloy posts of the caliper with a small wire brush, then apply brake cleaner again. I always put a VERY SMALL SMEAR of copaslip on the back of the pads, between them and the pistons which helps ward off any corrosion. A new caliper is about 600, but rebuild kits are available at a fraction of that. Just rememder your own abilities here and if in ANY DOUBT go to the dealer. Whtat is the mileage on the bike and has it seen road salt?

• Offline silverstripes   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1071

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
    Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2017, 09.30 am
    Jun 23, 2017, 09.30 am
    I strip my brakes down every 6 months minimum. Yes clean the pistons with brake cleaner then push them back in and then I use Muck off and the wife's electric toothbrush  :156: :156: No an old toothbrush to get all the crud from the calipers. Yes a smear of copperslip on the rear of the pads and I also smear around the edges where they seat in the caliper. I also smear the retaining pins.

The pads are always hard to come out with all the crud, which is road dirt+ brake dust and all made into a nice paste by the wet roads But the difference is amazing. the pads move freely and the front wheel spins better as the pads are not binding.

Well worth the half days work  :028:
    It wasn't me !!

• Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro  ‐    213
    • Topic Author

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2017, 12.45 pm
    Jun 23, 2017, 12.45 pm
    The new pads have all been fitted with copaslip smeared on the rear, and on the edges where the old ones were corroded to the calliper, also on the pins. I also cleaned the calliper as much as I could with brake cleaner and a tooth brush (pumping the pistons out carefully so they were cleaned as well). All the pistons seemed to move OK, so the uneven pad wear must have been due to the crud/corrosion holding the pad to the calliper.

My concern is that one of the dividing "pillars" appears to have corroded away and is now a pointed shape rather than the square shape of the other one.

My bike has now done 28K miles, and has seen plenty of salt over this last winter as I work 200 miles away and have been commuting down each week from Lancashire to Bristol for the last 10 months, so racking up 400 miles a week.
    Pacific Blue Trophy A1
    History (best of):

• Offline swede 2

• Trophy Pro  ‐    186

Offline swede 2

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 tt se
    • City / Town: N.E florida
    Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2017, 06.23 pm
    Jun 23, 2017, 06.23 pm
    the trophy has a linked brake system when you apply rear brake it will also use one front piston

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2017, 11.17 pm
    Oct 15, 2017, 11.17 pm
    I were surprised to hear Edd China say not to use Copper Slip on brakes now a days. :187:

Now does he mean for all brake systems or just those that have an aluminium hub I'm wondering??

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

• Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro  ‐    213
    • Topic Author

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2017, 09.05 am
    Oct 16, 2017, 09.05 am
    Update:
    The offending calliper was replaced by Triumph (although several months out of warranty). So now I just need to remember to take the pads out and clean them regularly during winter riding.
    Pacific Blue Trophy A1
    History (best of):

tweedy-bunch