Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Thinking its time  (Read 3421 times)

• Offline n9ami

• Trophy Member  ‐    11
    • Topic Author

Offline n9ami

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Silver Springs, NV
    Thinking its time
    on: Jun 23, 2017, 02.48 pm
    Jun 23, 2017, 02.48 pm
    Think I should change them?

• Offline Gar   ca

• Trophy Pro  ‐    417

Offline Gar

• Trophy Pro
    • Rise up and live your life.
    • Bike: 2013 Blue TTSE
    • City / Town: Pincher Creek
    Re: Thinking its time
    Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2017, 03.20 pm
    Jun 23, 2017, 03.20 pm
    Mine are about the same but I was thinking I had perhaps another 1-2 thousand km before I swapped them out. The groves are still just a tiny bit above the wear indicators (same as in your picture).
    Yamaha 550 Vision, Ninja ZX1000R

Garanthor

• Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro  ‐    261

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: R1250RT
    • City / Town: Strathaven
    Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2017, 04.12 pm
    Jun 23, 2017, 04.12 pm
    Michelin PR4's ?

I wouldn't change yet but I would start looking for a deal on a new set.... when you need to change there's never a deal available.....

I carried the back wheel off my Tiger in the boot (trunk) of my car for 6 weeks last winter looking for a decent price..... ground was frozen so I wasnt goin anywhere on the bike for a bit....

• Offline n9ami

• Trophy Member  ‐    11
    • Topic Author

Offline n9ami

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2017, 05.26 pm
    Jun 23, 2017, 05.26 pm
    Thanks guys yes it was kinda my thinking it was getting to be close to time around town I am okay for awhile but I am leaving for a trip cross country and I would probably not feel comfortable on them knowing the tread wear status.. They are 2CTs. Then again I was thinking about getting rid of it for a different brand I am pretty bored with the bike. 

• Offline GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1319

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2017, 05.45 pm
    Jun 23, 2017, 05.45 pm
    When to change your tyres is a movable feast and depends a lot on Attitude.  The law in the UK says:

"The legal limit of tyre tread depth in the UK for motorcycles over 50cc is 1mm across of the width of the tread pattern and with visible tread on the remaining . For motorcycles up to 50cc the law requires that all the grooves of the original tread pattern must be clearly visible."

I have seen graphs saying that performance drops off dramatically as the tyre wears, picture below is for cars But I guess it is the same for bikes.

I know that whenever I change my tyres the first 4,000 miles are great then I get a few twitches and as they square off it gets bad but still legal.  For the cost of a new pair of boots I change at about 2mm tread left and it suits me fine.

Just my $0.02
    Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline n9ami

• Trophy Member  ‐    11
    • Topic Author

Offline n9ami

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2017, 10.34 pm
    Jun 23, 2017, 10.34 pm
    No law here for tire tread wear that I know of. I remember when I was 19 and drove from Nevada to Chicago 2000 miles on what was a bald tire when I pulled into Chicago.  I would not do that anymore older wiser I guess.  Just got a quote for $663 from the dealer :087:.  I know I can do at least 200 bucks better than that at a non dealer.  Anyhow, I don't really consider the Trophy much in performance so I really never drive it that way. I guess thats why its a bit boring to me, the bike could use about 30 to 50 more HP to make it fun. But is what it is. I am feeling the KTM Super Duke GT is more my speed.  I am going to get tires ride it over to the other side of the country and say goodbye to it.  Thanks guys.

• Offline Xsv   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    477

Offline Xsv

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE, 2017 BMW
    • City / Town: Washington State
    Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2017, 11.48 pm
    Jun 23, 2017, 11.48 pm
    *Originally Posted by n9ami [+]
    No law here for tire tread wear that I know of. I remember when I was 19 and drove from Nevada to Chicago 2000 miles on what was a bald tire when I pulled into Chicago.  I would not do that anymore older wiser I guess.  Just got a quote for $663 from the dealer :087:.  I know I can do at least 200 bucks better than that at a non dealer.  Anyhow, I don't really consider the Trophy much in performance so I really never drive it that way. I guess thats why its a bit boring to me, the bike could use about 30 to 50 more HP to make it fun. But is what it is. I am feeling the KTM Super Duke GT is more my speed.  I am going to get tires ride it over to the other side of the country and say goodbye to it.  Thanks guys.

Looks like the 2ct's are about $265 for the set at Jakewilson.com
    The other $400 will buy you a nomar! :002:

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10070

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 2017, 07.42 am
    Jun 24, 2017, 07.42 am
    I am going to get tires ride it over to the other side of the country and say goodbye to it.

Sorry to see you go, buit won't the tyres make it aross there ?

If you're selling the Trophy, I doubt you wil recover the cost of a Brand New set of tyres,
    at the Retail Price you would pay, compared to the reduction a purchaser might make
    because they may need to be replaced, especially if there's no Law
    to say your tyres are below any legal limit ?

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Apr 25, 2020, 05.20 pm by Coconut