Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Possibly time to move on? What are your thoughts?  (Read 9427 times)

• Offline cropbiker   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    4934
    • Topic Author

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    • Midlands biker
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Worcester
    Possibly time to move on? What are your thoughts?
    on: Jun 24, 2017, 05.37 pm
    Jun 24, 2017, 05.37 pm
    Well I have had my Trophy 4 1/2 years now and I am starting to get that itch that we all know to look for a change.

If Triumph had seen fit to invest and develop the Trophy it would have been a no brainier and I would have gone for a new Trophy the moment a revised model came out. As we are all aware though Triumph at best is putting production on indefinite hold and most likely discontinuing altogether.

So what options are there.
    A) hang on with what I've got
    B) get a new Trophy of the last production items
    C) change to another brand

Well with A the fact the itch has set in means the mind is looking and in my experience this will only get worse

Option B won't really work for similar reasons... might be a new bike but it will look and feel the same

So option C seems more likely but there aren't too many options. Yamaha FJR, just don't like the stylish no and seems a bit cheap and those stupid lozenge shaped panniers. Kwai GTR... awesome power, so missing in tech that I would want on a touring bike. Honda... nothing. Suzuki.... nothing. So BMW. 2 choices. RT1200, underpowered, hate the vibes. K1600, took one on a test ride today! Here are my observations.

Test rode a new 2017 K1600GT.

Love the engine, SO smooth, as you would expect and sounds really good too.

Gearbox, so much less clunky than when I test rode one 4 1/2 years ago at the time I bought the Trophy. The quickshifter for up and down was amazing! So smooth and relaxing to ride with.

Keyless ignition and central locking. You don't realise how convenient these things are until you have used them. Just being near the bike with the key is enough to open panniers, glove boxes, filler cap, start the engine.

Brakes, hmmmm some concern there. On my Trophy I just have to gently pull with one finger on the front brake and the brakes bite immediately. On the K 1600 I had to grab a real handful to get them to apply. Would get used to it I'm sure but it was disconcerting.

Mirrors, I'm used to the Trophy mirrors and I don't have a problem with them but the higher up mirrors on the K1600 work remarkably well.

Seems to be much more wind noise and buffeting on the K1600 than the Trophy. Now that could be because it didn't have the touring screen that I would have on the GTLE I would go for.

Fuel economy didn't seem too bad. Don't think I will get the 55mpg average I have got on the Trophy but from what I can see with my normal riding style would get close to 50 mpg

Then of course there is the cost! The model I would want with the options would be 21,400 which is a shed load of money! I did at least get them to throw in a free Navigator VI n the deal if I went for it by end of the month.

Just waiting to see what they come back with as an offer as part ex for the Trophy... I suspect it will be a sad, pitiful amount. Let's see what it will be.

Interested in any experience guys have with the K1600 as a comparison.
    Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

• Offline Vansflyer

• Trophy Pro  ‐    135

Offline Vansflyer

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE, Thrux R
    • City / Town: In the Middle
    Re: Possibly time to move on? What are your thoughts?
    Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2017, 08.21 pm
    Jun 24, 2017, 08.21 pm
    IT's  a tricky issue finding a new "lover" or keeping the current one. A bloke in our club has just changed to the new K1600 from his previous K1600, new one has a better quickshifter and reverse, except it doesn't! New quickshifter can't handle block gear changes and the software crashes.. trip back to the dealer or messing around going through every gear trying to reset the computer... not good.
    20k is a shed load of money for a bike...  does the TT does what you want? If so keep it.. if not get rid.
    Tough choice for sure..

• Offline cropbiker   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    4934
    • Topic Author

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    • Midlands biker
    Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2017, 09.32 pm
    Jun 24, 2017, 09.32 pm
    Oh don't get me wrong.... the Trophy is a great bike, does everything I want and have loved every mile on it..... just got that grass is greener feeling, even though I know, often it isn't!

Maybe I should just spend some money on a custom paint job. The hubby always jokes and calls it Thunderbird 2 as it carries all the luggage and the rescue gear... maybe I should get dream machine to paint it like this

• Offline Vansflyer

• Trophy Pro  ‐    135

Offline Vansflyer

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE, Thrux R
    • City / Town: In the Middle
    Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2017, 09.48 pm
    Jun 24, 2017, 09.48 pm
    The grass always needs cutting no mater how green it is...
    Virgil is safe in Thumderbird 2  :001:

• Offline swede 2

• Trophy Pro  ‐    186

Offline swede 2

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 tt se
    • City / Town: N.E florida
    Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2017, 12.22 am
    Jun 25, 2017, 12.22 am
    you know what you have,you never know what you getting.keep it and maybe do a nice paint job on it like a BRG color.i had the
    same itch to get new or newer bike.after i got offered a$5500 trade in on a new 16 tt se i decided to keep mine

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9939

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2017, 08.49 am
    Jun 25, 2017, 08.49 am
    I don't think that changing the colour will help much,
    you already have a very distinctive colour scheme,
    so it must be a real dilemma for you.

The only ( biased ) advice I can give is - DON'T DO IT !

We wouldn't want to lose you, and you'll only regret it !  :169:

Meanwhile - PM Sent  :038: !

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Apr 25, 2020, 05.19 pm by Coconut

• Offline greenduck1966

• Trophy Pro  ‐    213

Offline greenduck1966

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: trophy se
    • City / Town: hornchurch
    Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2017, 09.19 am
    Jun 25, 2017, 09.19 am
    would be a sad loss to lose you from this forum, in reality the bmw is just not going to live up to expectations coming from a former owner of one with cost new and bad dealer attitude,
    assumption  is the mother of all f~~~ups

• Offline cropbiker   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    4934
    • Topic Author

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    • Midlands biker
    Reply #7 on: Jun 25, 2017, 11.05 am
    Jun 25, 2017, 11.05 am
    I think the clincher will be when the BMW dealer phones back with their trade in price which wouldn't surprise me if it was as low as 4k.

The first of their brokers to come back to them said they didn't even want it! :110: :110:

I normally keep bikes about 6 years which is why, considering I love the Trophy as much as I do I am surprised the itch has come up at 4 1/2 years.

Maybe its a midlife crisis thing, I hit the big Hawaiian birthday in a fortnight (5-0) :005:

Maybe I just go to my Triumph dealership and see if they can get me a new one, keep me going until Triumph eventually wake up and realise they just need to refresh the model and do some bloody work advertising it!!!

tweedy-bunch