Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Pdm-60 anyone?  (Read 2857 times)

• Offline perfsthepiper

• Trophy Member  ‐    15
    • Topic Author

Offline perfsthepiper

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: TTSE 14
    • City / Town: Singapore
    Pdm-60 anyone?
    on: Jun 27, 2017, 07.49 am
    Jun 27, 2017, 07.49 am
    Hi folks, i may be the only member from Singapore who proudly owns a TTSE 2014. I have been riding it for 2 years now and thinking of adding couple of aux light hence I got myself some aftermarket spot flood combo light along with skene front and rear complete module along with the dimmer module. The skene set alone cost me around USD600 but I am glad I bought them. The only other thing that will help me complete my puzzle is a proper power module. I heard and read about PDM-60. I want to buy it but I need help from anyone here who has the PDM fitted into their ride. So my questions are:

1) best place to mount it?
    2) how would you typically run your cables from your load to PDM?
    3) I suppose it is waterproof?
    4) Recommended delay start for all your accessories?
    5) does it further require a relay? I highly doubt it but still prefer to know if it does
    6) do you install inline on/off switch for all your accessories before terminating it to PDM-60m?
    7) I understand I wont require inline fuse as it operates on a miniature circuit breaker upto 60Amp?

Thank you for the support folks and greetings from Singapore.

Kind regards,
    Pervinder Singh

• Offline Nudger

• Trophy Member  ‐    93

Offline Nudger

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy 2013
    • City / Town: Dartford. Kent
    Re: Pdm-60 anyone?
    Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2017, 08.51 am
    Jun 29, 2017, 08.51 am
    Hi Pervinder,

I fitted a PDM 60 a few months ago. I'II answer your questions in the order you raised them:

1. I fitted it under the seat on a bracket I made.
    2. The main input wire from the battery feeds the PDM. Wires are then routed to your accessories via a switch
    3. Can't confirm it's waterproof. However, it is sealed and I haven't had any problems.
    4. I use a 10 second delay and it works fine for me
    5. It doesn't require a relay
    6. You will need to install an inline switch for your accessories to switch them on and off.  I have fitted a Roadhawk camera that is connected directly to the PDM so it comes on automatically after 10 seconds. This avoids the problem of me forgetting to switch it on!
    7. I'm not clear about what you mean regarding this question.  I have fitted a 60 amp in line fuse on the wire that feeds the PDM from the battery. It's close to the battery.  The unit itself doesn't have fuses, but will 'trip out' a circuit if there's a short.

I'm happy with the PDM, it's straightforward to 'programme and has worked well for me. I've fitted the following accessories operated from the PDM:
    - Roadhawk Camera
    - Denali Spotlights
    - Stebel Air Horn
    - Additional hazard warning lights to the rear

Hope this helps.
    Brian.

• Offline perfsthepiper

• Trophy Member  ‐    15
    • Topic Author

Offline perfsthepiper

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2017, 02.14 pm
    Jun 29, 2017, 02.14 pm
    *Originally Posted by Nudger [+]
    Hi Pervinder,

I fitted a PDM 60 a few months ago. I'II answer your questions in the order you raised them:

1. I fitted it under the seat on a bracket I made.
    2. The main input wire from the battery feeds the PDM. Wires are then routed to your accessories via a switch
    3. Can't confirm it's waterproof. However, it is sealed and I haven't had any problems.
    4. I use a 10 second delay and it works fine for me
    5. It doesn't require a relay
    6. You will need to install an inline switch for your accessories to switch them on and off.  I have fitted a Roadhawk camera that is connected directly to the PDM so it comes on automatically after 10 seconds. This avoids the problem of me forgetting to switch it on!
    7. I'm not clear about what you mean regarding this question.  I have fitted a 60 amp in line fuse on the wire that feeds the PDM from the battery. It's close to the battery.  The unit itself doesn't have fuses, but will 'trip out' a circuit if there's a short.

I'm happy with the PDM, it's straightforward to 'programme and has worked well for me. I've fitted the following accessories operated from the PDM:
    - Roadhawk Camera
    - Denali Spotlights
    - Stebel Air Horn
    - Additional hazard warning lights to the rear

Hope this helps.
    Brian.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply mate. I appreciate the details you shared. Here is my response:

1) Noted
    2) So the black and red cable will go directly to the battery and will be fed with continuous power supply? Will that not drain the battery if parked for a long period of time? Is it not better to connect the hot wire to a switched or ignition source?
    3) Noted
    4) Noted
    5) Noted
    6) Noted but where is the best place to mount switch? I had to drill a hole on my battery top cover to install 1 switch but the space is very tight and the wires keep falling off from the prongs.
    7) What I meant was that there shouldn't be any inline fuse required in series with all the individual accessories as the PDM has its own miniature circuit breaker that can be "refreshed" upon restarting the ignition to the bike. Though I am not quite sure if the 60 amp in line fuse that you installed on the wire that feeds the PDM from the battery is actually necessary as the PDM has its own circuit breaker.

Once again mate, I appreciate your reply. I have already purchased some accessories and will be posting all my latest addon once they are delivered to my house. Cant wait to get back onshore. Been in the sea for way too long now.

This community is so cool and I have learnt a lot from each and everyone of you.

Cheers,
    Pervinder

• Offline Nudger

• Trophy Member  ‐    93

Offline Nudger

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy 2013
    • City / Town: Dartford. Kent
    Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2017, 08.49 am
    Jul 03, 2017, 08.49 am
    Hello Pervinder,

In response to the points you raised:

2. The black and red cables do go directly to the battery and provide a continuous power supply. However, the unit is only 'switched on' when you turn the ignition on.  I haven't experienced any problems with battery drain.  Regarding adding a switch to the main power supply, the unit is rated at 60 amps, so any switch would need to be able to cope with that load.  In my opinion it's not necessary.
    6. I try and avoid drilling additional holes and haven't done so. My air horn is operated by the original horn button, spotlights by a switch on the handlebars, additional rear hazards by a rocker switch placed where the pillion heated seat switch blanking plug is. I don't have a heated pillion seat.  The Roadhawk camera isn't switched, it comes on automatically after the 10 second delay, this overcomes the problem of me forgetting to switch it on!
    7. I fitted the 60 amp inline fuse into the main power supply to the PDM, close to the battery as a safety measure to protect against a 'short circuit' on the main input lead between the battery and PDM.  As you say, individual circuits have a 'circuit breaker' facility, but as far as I'm aware there's no protection against a 'short circuit' on the main power supply.

Hope this helps.
    Brian.
    Last Edit: Jul 03, 2017, 08.54 am by Nudger

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2017, 05.13 pm
    Jul 10, 2017, 05.13 pm
    *Originally Posted by perfsthepiper [+]
    Hi folks, i may be the only member from Singapore who proudly owns a TTSE 2014. I have been riding it for 2 years now and thinking of adding couple of aux light hence I got myself some aftermarket spot flood combo light along with skene front and rear complete module along with the dimmer module. The skene set alone cost me around USD600 but I am glad I bought them. The only other thing that will help me complete my puzzle is a proper power module. I heard and read about PDM-60. I want to buy it but I need help from anyone here who has the PDM fitted into their ride. So my questions are:

1) best place to mount it?
    2) how would you typically run your cables from your load to PDM?
    3) I suppose it is waterproof?
    4) Recommended delay start for all your accessories?
    5) does it further require a relay? I highly doubt it but still prefer to know if it does
    6) do you install inline on/off switch for all your accessories before terminating it to PDM-60m?
    7) I understand I wont require inline fuse as it operates on a miniature circuit breaker upto 60Amp?

1) I mounted mine under the rear seat, screwed to the left side of the tray. It's gnarly as heck to get to the nuts, but it can be done.
    2) I ran 12awg wire from the battery all the way back along the right side of the bike sheathed in temperature resistant automotive-specific wire sheeth.
    3) I am not totally sure as the USB cable connector is always open. I have the back mounted against the tray side, so while water CAN technically get in there, it's highly unlikely.
    4) I have all my stuff on delay start so that the battery isn't deluged with power draw when trying to start the bike.
    5) No, no relays are required as the PDM itself acts as a solid-state relay (actually, two, a positive and a negative relay).
    6) I do not have switches inline with the PDM 60 unless it's something I want to turn off like blinky lights.
    7) It will absolutely require an inline 30amp fuse (that's not a typo). While the PDM60 via marketing and documentation claims to be able to deliver 60amps of power simultaneously, the power wire for the unit is only 12awg which will only reliably deliver 30 amps of power without melting. I have seen PDM60's melt when under full load. Do yourself a huge favor and wire in a 30amp fuse off the main power from the battery.

Also, don't be dumb like me and have anything in the PDM60 be on permanently. The PDM60 has an LED that is lit for every circuit that is permanent on, which drains the battery for no good reason. They warn you about it in the documentation, but as I said, I was dumb and ignored it -- IIRC, I have only one always-on circuit and it draina the battery in about four or five days. You're better off just running fused taps off the main power for any always-on circuits.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline perfsthepiper

• Trophy Member  ‐    15
    • Topic Author

Offline perfsthepiper

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2017, 11.23 pm
    Jul 10, 2017, 11.23 pm
    *Originally Posted by AZBob [+]
    1) I mounted mine under the rear seat, screwed to the left side of the tray. It's gnarly as heck to get to the nuts, but it can be done.
    2) I ran 12awg wire from the battery all the way back along the right side of the bike sheathed in temperature resistant automotive-specific wire sheeth.
    3) I am not totally sure as the USB cable connector is always open. I have the back mounted against the tray side, so while water CAN technically get in there, it's highly unlikely.
    4) I have all my stuff on delay start so that the battery isn't deluged with power draw when trying to start the bike.
    5) No, no relays are required as the PDM itself acts as a solid-state relay (actually, two, a positive and a negative relay).
    6) I do not have switches inline with the PDM 60 unless it's something I want to turn off like blinky lights.
    7) It will absolutely require an inline 30amp fuse (that's not a typo). While the PDM60 via marketing and documentation claims to be able to deliver 60amps of power simultaneously, the power wire for the unit is only 12awg which will only reliably deliver 30 amps of power without melting. I have seen PDM60's melt when under full load. Do yourself a huge favor and wire in a 30amp fuse off the main power from the battery.

Also, don't be dumb like me and have anything in the PDM60 be on permanently. The PDM60 has an LED that is lit for every circuit that is permanent on, which drains the battery for no good reason. They warn you about it in the documentation, but as I said, I was dumb and ignored it -- IIRC, I have only one always-on circuit and it draina the battery in about four or five days. You're better off just running fused taps off the main power for any always-on circuits.

Hi AZBob,

1) Noted. That must have been the strangest way but I bet I will be doing the same when I am back home this month end.
    2) I actually meant the wire from your accessories down to the PDM. The positive and negative. I can't seem to grasp the idea of how all the negative of my accessories will ground to a common negative terminal in PDM. I do understand that PDM supplies a ground terminal but I haven't seen anyone installing them yet on their bikes and have no clue how to end the loop. Please forgive me for asking such a basic question as I am unable to view any videos of the installation on youtube as its blocked by my client here in offshore.
    3) I am pretty convinced it is waterproof but I will not install it exposing to water anyway.
    4) Noted mate.
    5) Noted on that too mate.
    6) I am planning on having blinkers on rear side and definitely need the on/off switch. So I will probably need one anyway. Will figure out the best possible place to mount it. As much as I would love to have my lights turned on the whole day, I may choose to off them if they are not necessarily needed as I am installing skene on the front and rear along with the dimmer too. (costly I must say)
    7) 30amp fuse is definitely going into the circuit then. Thanks for that tip mate.

So how would you suggest me to run my wiring to avoid it being permanently draining juice from my battery? have the negative grounded elsewhere in the chasis or install another on/off switch for the PDM to control it?

Appreciate your time mate. Keep the farkles coming.

Cheers,
    Pervinder

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2017, 04.18 pm
    Jul 11, 2017, 04.18 pm
    For the grounds, I have a 12awg wire coming from the negative battery terminal all the way back along the right side of the bike along with the positive I previously mentioned. I crimped on a ring terminal to that huge cable (not easy), and use the rubber boot that came with the unit and an appropriately-sized nut and bolt and crimped ring terminals on all the ground leads of all my accessories, and voila, everything is grounded nicely. I can take a picture of what it looks like if I get a minute later today.

For the drainage issue: it only drains the battery for circuits that you mark as "always on." I only have one of those (the interior light of my top box, which itself has a mercury switch so it is actually off when closed -- it needs to be "always on" because I need the light to work while the bike isn't running). Everything else is a switched circuit in the PDM60 that comes on after the bike starts via the rear running light trigger. You can avoid the drainage issue by simply not marking any circuits as "always on" in the software. If I get some time in the next few weeks, I'm going to remove that one circuit from the PDM60 and wire it directly to the battery (with its own fuse, of course).
    Last Edit: Jul 11, 2017, 04.24 pm by AZBob
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline perfsthepiper

• Trophy Member  ‐    15
    • Topic Author

Offline perfsthepiper

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2017, 04.32 pm
    Jul 11, 2017, 04.32 pm
    *Originally Posted by AZBob [+]
    For the grounds, I have a 12awg wire coming from the negative battery terminal all the way back along the right side of the bike along with the positive I previously mentioned. I crimped on a ring terminal to that huge cable (not easy), and use the rubber boot that came with the unit and an appropriately-sized nut and bolt and crimped ring terminals on all the ground leads of all my accessories, and voila, everything is grounded nicely. I can take a picture of what it looks like if I get a minute later today.

For the drainage issue: it only drains the battery for circuits that you mark as "always on." I only have one of those (the interior light of my top box, which itself has a mercury switch so it is actually off when closed -- it needs to be "always on" because I need the light to work while the bike isn't running). Everything else is a switched circuit in the PDM60 that comes on after the bike starts via the rear running light trigger. You can avoid the drainage issue by simply not marking any circuits as "always on" in the software. If I get some time in the next few weeks, I'm going to remove that one circuit from the PDM60 and wire it directly to the battery (with its own fuse, of course).

Thanks mate. That explanation is so much easier and simple to understand and visualize. Also I just learnt that the PDM60 is completely waterproof. So that is good to know feature.

Yeah picture speaks a thousand words so I am looking forward to your installs if you have time to taken some.

Cheers AZBob.

P