Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Custom Ram GPS Mount and Dash Shelf  (Read 10520 times)

Offline Luckycharms

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Pennsylvania
Custom Ram GPS Mount and Dash Shelf
« on: June 24, 2013, 02:53:03 AM »
Just letting you guys know about a possible RAM mount for a gps (or anything else for that matter) different then the standard ones. I am (sorta) friends with the person who runs Maple Farkles. A company that specializes in making auxiliary fuel cells for long distance riders. He also can custom make pretty much anything else you can think of. He recently bought a Trophy (thanks to my good recommendations :-) and he's busy making stuff for it. He's already made the a GPS mount and the prototype for the dash shelf is complete. In the future he'll be making light mounts similar to under mirror ones on R1200RT's and also a flatbed auxilary fuel cell.

Long story short is he's making this stuff for himself and his bike. I'll be having him make me the gps mount, the dash shelf, and the light mounts when he gets around to it. But if other people are interested we could organize a group buy for whatever people want and it would bring the price down (for me and everyone else!)

I know it sounds like I'm trying to sell stuff here but he didn't ask me to post here. I'm doing it on my own. As far as his business, it's just a side thing that he does for the love of motorcycling. It's just a guy with some machinist tools in his garage.

Check out the gallery of the stuff he's made for other bikes so you can see the quality of his work. I've seen two of his auxiliary fuel cells in person on other bikes and his work is top notch.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107830667926908438954
2013 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 (gone)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (gone)

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Custom Ram GPS Mount and Dash Shelf
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 07:56:07 AM »
Call me an old stick in the mud, but personally I would be very wary of adding any custom parts to my bike,
unless they have received some sort of design approval and safety certification,
for a number of what I believe to very valid reasons :

( In most Countries ? ... ) "Genuine" parts and accessories have to go through rigorous testing procedures,
to achieve such certification.

Adding non-approved parts may invalidate your Insurance policy ( check the small print for non approved modification clause ),
or could at least give Insurance companies a reason to look at declining any claim.

Whilst a particular accessory may look good, and may seem to be a good idea,
there could be hidden safety implications that have not been considered.

e.g. The accessory shelf - I like the look of that that, and how it appears it woudl shade the instruments from sunlight glare,
but if I were unfortunate enough to have a front end impact and go over the bars,
through the screen, would my knees, or any other bits of me get sliced on the leading edge of the shelf ?

It's great that your friend has the skills and capability to make such things, which I applaud,
but I felt I should open up the discussion from a different perspective  :084:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 05:59:08 PM by Coconut »

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 12:32:51 PM »
Thats the sort of things I would definitely be interested in.  The light brackets are something I have been thinking about, but without a bike to work on it is a bit hard!  I currently run HID driving lights so it would be hard to go back from them.  Dash shelf I don't know about, will have to wait to see what I can fit on as the bike is.

Offline Luckycharms

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 03:44:01 AM »
Coconut I don't know how it is in the UK but there's no regulations about having to have parts approved or tested. So you mean to tell me you've never added a windshield or tankbag or fitted other then OEM tires to a motorcycle you've ever owned?? I can't think of one person I know who hasn't modified their bike in some way shape or form. Hell I got more money for all my accessories when I traded in my Tiger then I did for the trade in itself!

And I've never heard of anyone being denied of an insurance claim over aftermarket accessories. In fact my last two insurance policies have a specific section to list all your accessories so that they can be replaced in the event of a crash.

A dash shelf takes all the crap off your handlebars that slows down steering response and places it in a better line of site ie GPS and radar detector.

He has a couple more pictures up of what looks to be a more final version: https://plus.google.com/photos/107830667926908438954/albums/5891701914363265297?banner=pwa

and if you think I have a lot of stuff check out this guys bike: https://plus.google.com/photos/107368204438934633792/albums/5892845785955149281?authkey=CLSC6P_lrbCeYg

He's riding in the upcoming Iron Butt Rally which starts in a weeks time on July 1st.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 07:27:55 AM »
Like I said I applaud your friend for having the insight, skill, and facilities to do what he does,
all I am doing here is offering my own personal opinion and thoughts for consideration.

There will of course be different rules and regulations all around the world -
over here, as I understand things, "approved" parts and accessories receive "CE" certification.

I would strongly urge everyone to check with their Insurance Company,
before carrying out any modifications, or at the very least read through the small print....

My Insurance company requires me to tell them about :
"Any alterations / conversions from the manufacturers original specifications
including accessories added, kits or special parts."

I imagine that this is so they can assess the risk, and value of anything added,
to determine if any alerations to the level of cover, or Premium paid etc. need to be made.

I guess they would want to know if I did a mod something like the picture below !

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 06:03:17 PM by Coconut »

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 08:38:53 AM »
I always add any extras to the insurance. Last time I advised them of recent changes and got additional coverage for riding gear the premium was unchanged!  They could have offered that to me without asking  :233:

Offline Glenn

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wisbech, Cambs
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 09:16:16 AM »
I had a look at the web site and, I'm sorry guys just my opinion, but I don't like a single thing that has been done to the Trophy.
Makes the bike butt ugly to my eye.

Offline Luckycharms

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 12:17:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Glenn [+]
I had a look at the web site and, I'm sorry guys just my opinion, but I don't like a single thing that has been done to the Trophy.
Makes the bike butt ugly to my eye.

It's all subjective. There are people that have told me that a real motorcycle doesn't have luggage and a windshield. They think my bike is ugly. I think an ugly bike is one that has spent 110 years turning horsepower into useless noise and makes more money in merchandise then they do in bikes...

But that's just me...