Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Screen Gremlins  (Read 6092 times)

• Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro  ‐    261
    • Topic Author

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: R1250RT
    • City / Town: Strathaven
    Screen Gremlins
    on: Jul 26, 2017, 09.31 pm
    Jul 26, 2017, 09.31 pm
    managed out for an hour tonight after work, nice run until the rain started,,, screen up at highest setting, no problem. Then the rain stopped, when I pressed for down the screen moved slightly then returned to the highest position? This has happened a few times before but usually allows me to move after a few attempts... when I switched off the screen parked as normal.... any ideas?

• Offline atrophy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    522

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
    • City / Town: SW Ohio
    Re: Screen Gremlins
    Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2017, 10.52 pm
    Jul 26, 2017, 10.52 pm
    It has happened to me too. I have a 2013 model.

I think this is a software problem. 
    I used to have a problem where the screen would park and not raise until I rode it a bit.  i figured a low voltage problem.  It rarely returned to the last position after shut off and that did not bother me.
    I had the head updated and when the bike was returned to me the screen worked like it was supposed to except for the occasional problem you just described.  I'm guessing the bike software was updated when the head was updated.
    I can't ask the technician, he left the dealer.
    2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
    2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
    IBA 24605

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10195

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2017, 07.26 am
    Jul 27, 2017, 07.26 am
    The upper and lower screen limit positions may need (re)calibrating.

Thiis can be done by your Dealer, or by use of an after market tool such as DealerTool.

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Mar 28, 2020, 09.15 pm by Coconut

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2017, 09.38 am
    Jul 27, 2017, 09.38 am
    With regards to pressing the down button and then the screen all of a sudden move up at some point, I've only seen this happen whilst stationery, never whilst actually riding the bike, anyone else?

There are certainly a few pivot points behind the screen that need lubricant every so often, if these are tight then the automatic 'fingers are trapped under the screen' feature will kick in.

• Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro  ‐    261
    • Topic Author

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: R1250RT
    • City / Town: Strathaven
    Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2017, 06.26 pm
    Jul 27, 2017, 06.26 pm
    Thanks for the replies, i never thought about anti pinch, just like some car windows.... I did have the screen off and the dash apart to route a power cord for my sat nav... the cable route didn't look as if it would foul the mechanism, I even tie wrapped the wire to the frame for the dash.
    Will watch and see, really can't be bothered working on it just now, that's what you do in the winter  :015:

• Offline Roy

• Trophy Member  ‐    60

Offline Roy

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Hertfordshire
    Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2017, 08.52 am
    Aug 24, 2017, 08.52 am
    I'm having the same issue. On turning the ignition on the screen will return to its last set position and will happily go up and down. When I start the engine and move the screen to its highest position then try to go down again it will stop and return to the highest. I get it down by lowering it in increments. Once riding however it performs as it should.
    I did take it to my dealer who was stumped. As I have a trip to Europe planned soon we agreed to leave it until I return then Triumph can work their magic on it.
    Will update with the issue once it is discovered.
    Keep it shiny side up and rubber side down

• Offline CoJaW

• Trophy Pro  ‐    150

Offline CoJaW

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Birmingham
    Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2017, 09.57 am
    Aug 24, 2017, 09.57 am
    My first Trophy, and early 2013 model, went to the factory for the cylinder head update and came back with a new screen motor. The screen had been playing up but settled down after the replacement motor was installed. I was told that the new motor was more powerful then the original one! I wonder if any 2013 models still have the original motor.

Just to put your mind at rest -  they did do the cylinder head update as well!

:152:

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2017, 10.00 am
    Aug 24, 2017, 10.00 am
    *Originally Posted by Roy [+]
    I'm having the same issue. On turning the ignition on the screen will return to its last set position and will happily go up and down. When I start the engine and move the screen to its highest position then try to go down again it will stop and return to the highest. I get it down by lowering it in increments. Once riding however it performs as it should.
    I did take it to my dealer who was stumped. As I have a trip to Europe planned soon we agreed to leave it until I return then Triumph can work their magic on it.
    Will update with the issue once it is discovered.

Please do, I'd be interested in what they think the cause is. I'm thinking that it's a glitch in the anti trap software rather than due to mechanical binding because surely it would consistently play up if it were due to the latter. On my bike it's an infrequent issue to be honest, I know that the pivot points are lubricated and why does it never happen when the wheels are in motion?? 

tweedy-bunch