Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Another GPS buying question (sorry...)  (Read 5321 times)

Offline rickmorcom

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 TTSE
  • City / Town: New Brunswick
Another GPS buying question (sorry...)
« on: June 25, 2013, 12:01:22 AM »
Hi all, I should be picking up my Trophy at the end of the week (should have been the end of last week, but that's another story). I have asked for the OE Triumph GPS cradle to be fitted, but I don't yet have a GPS - that may have been a mistake... Been doing some researching, and find that there are a few options out there - all rather expensive, and not all compatible with Triumph's cradle. I wondered if anyone has any recommendations?

Basically, I want a simple GPS which will get me to my destination. I DON'T particularly care for spoken instructions, and would rather glance at a screen. I don't need bluetooth, MP3 players, satellite radios or any other communication features. I DO want a screen that is easy to read in most riding conditions, and can calculate a route for me avoiding highways, for instance. I realise that a GPS for a bike needs to be waterproof, and resistant to a little more vibration that the car varieties, but I can't see quite how they justify costing four times as much as a car GPS. The various Garmin models seem to be pretty widely used, but there are bad reviews on every model, along with the good reviews. Tomtom's Rider seems to have an equal number of positive and negative reviews too, but now I'm not even sure if it will fit the Triumph mount. Anyway, does anyone have any advice?

Thanks, Rick.

Offline clarge

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Qualicum Beach
Re: Another GPS buying question (sorry...)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 12:33:08 AM »
The simplest solution is using the Zumo 660 as the holder is designed of it and the wiring harness for the system is as well. Beyond that it will be trial and error on how to mount another gps to the bike and wire it in. I'm on my second Zumo 660 now in 5 years. First one gave up working. I can send it out for repairs and may just do that yet.

Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Bradford
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 12:41:27 AM »
If you go for the zumo 660 which is the one recomended make sure you have the wiring loom fitted at the same time as the mount. This is very important because fitting the loom involves the complete removal of the mount which I discovered to my cost. (there is another thread which goes on at length about this) also make sure that they connect the audio to the bike connector inside the fairing, again there is a thread about this as well. There are also links to fitting instructions which are well worth a look. Make sure they loop the fuse holder into the back of the indicator pod so if it blows you simply flip out the mirror to change it.
Might as well as wish we had.

Offline rickmorcom

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 02:22:37 AM »
Thanks for that, Clarge, and Davidw3d. I'll have a chat with the dealer again about the whole mount thing, and see what they plan on doing. a Zumo 660 certainly seems to have everything - but maybe just a bit too much for me. I was really hoping for something simpler, and cheaper.
Rick

Offline Luckycharms

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 03:14:50 AM »
I think an easier solution would be to just cut the fuse off. I don't know what circuit it is but there is no way the gps power circuit from triumph is unfused. It was a part of the heated grips circuit on my Tiger. No point in having it double fused. If you're going directly to battery that's a different story.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 (gone)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (gone)

Offline ibpete

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Chula Vista
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 03:46:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by rickmorcom [+]
Basically, I want a simple GPS which will get me to my destination. I DON'T particularly care for spoken instructions, and would rather glance at a screen. I don't need bluetooth, MP3 players, satellite radios or any other communication features. I DO want a screen that is easy to read in most riding conditions, and can calculate a route for me avoiding highways, for instance. I realise that a GPS for a bike needs to be waterproof, and resistant to a little more vibration that the car varieties, but I can't see quite how they justify costing four times as much as a car GPS. The various Garmin models seem to be pretty widely used, but there are bad reviews on every model, along with the good reviews. Tomtom's Rider seems to have an equal number of positive and negative reviews too, but now I'm not even sure if it will fit the Triumph mount. Anyway, does anyone have any advice?
Rick,
I'll try to answer your question instead of telling you to get an $800 GPS. I had a 660 for about 2 hours and sold it on ebay. Having been a Garmin GPS user for over a dozen years they have dumbed down the product significantly. Regretfully they have the market pretty well cornered so you don't have much choice. If you don't want all the "features" you shouldn't pay for them. If and when I have to get a new GPS I'm going to look at one of the Nuvi's and add an aquabox [http://www.rammount.com/Products/AQUABOX/tabid/125/Default.aspx]. In fact, I've heard reports that the Nuvi's are more water resistant than Garmin says, but that's something you'd have to evaluate.

I don't agree that a car GPS is more vibration resistant. I doubt that you would have issues unless you are doing serious offroading.

I've also heard really good things about using the Montana and Oregon. A bit more than a Nuvi but have the advantage of being multi-purpose.

One thing to watch for on GPSs is that you will eventually want one that will allow you to plan and load routes. This adds a bit to the prices but it's nice to sit at the computer, plan a trip, load it to the GPS, and then GO.

I know you don't want to waste the $ you spent on the stock mount but consider scrapping that so you can save hundreds on GPSs (now and in the future--they do go bad).

HTH
Mike Langford [aka IB Pete] IBA#341
I really hate it when I commit to running a yellow light and the guy in front of me chickens out.

Offline rickmorcom

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 03:35:19 PM »
Thanks again, especially IB Pete. I'm still not sure what I'll do as far as the GPS is concerned, but I really enjoyed your website. Just spent an hour or so reading your 2007 IronButt rally story. Wow, that was quite a trip! I enjoyed your motorcycle history as well, looking back at all the bikes you've had - but the Trophy doesn't appear on the list yet! My own history is not as long as that, but I'm coming to 40 years of riding now.

Regards, Rick.

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 03:59:20 PM »
I have just bought a cheap waterproof housing for the IPod touch that has a handlebar attachment.  I was going to try and fit it to the unused mirror mount.  I do not know why as I have no need for it to be on show (I have one in the glove box for music) and I have a 660 on the proper mount.  I have had the 660 for many years now and I have had to araldite the corners where I have dropped it and cracked the plastic.  The problem with the IPod is no GPS.  I did try a Bluetooth GPS but Apple needs a special authorisation chip built in to a normal bluetooth device to make it work.

I do have a tomtom rider2 but found the garmin much better (only because it has a MP3 player built in) although not as much storage for routes.  Of course for the Trophy with the touch I do not need the MP3 player in the 660.

The waterproof container for IPod is slightly bigger than a touch as it is made for a IPhone and also has rubbery packing pieces that again could be taken out to make more room (although the front seal is built into the rubber)?  Not sure if there is a cheap non waterproof GPS that would then fit?

tweedy-bunch