Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Top end failure  (Read 7927 times)

• Offline SciGuy

• Trophy Junior  ‐    6
    • Topic Author

Offline SciGuy

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: St. Augustine
    Top end failure
    on: Aug 01, 2017, 12.13 am
    Aug 01, 2017, 12.13 am
    Hello everyone,

I experienced a slave cylinder failure for the clutch witch led to, (according to the shop) problems in the top end. Shop says it will be cheaper to replace the motor than replace all the damaged pieces. However, they cannot locate a motor for the bike. Anybody have any leads for a 2013 Trophy motor?

• Offline janfmiller   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    960

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
    • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • Bike: Was: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
    Re: Top end failure
    Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2017, 04.00 am
    Aug 01, 2017, 04.00 am
    Sounds like a load of malarkey to me... What connection would a malfunctioning clutch actuator have to do with valvetrain problems??  What are they symptoms??
    1977 Suzuki TS-185
    1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
    2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES NON-DCT
    2016 Yamaha FJ-09

• Offline john348   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1524

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
    • City / Town: Farndon
    Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2017, 08.01 am
    Aug 01, 2017, 08.01 am
    My slave cylinder seal went (I just replaced the seals very cheap) but the leaking clutch fluid goes straight into the oil.  I did change the oil and filter straight away but i wonder if that caused a problem.  I cannot really see it that just a small amount (comparatively) of brake fluid in the oil could cause a failure of the oil!

• Offline SciGuy

• Trophy Junior  ‐    6
    • Topic Author

Offline SciGuy

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: St. Augustine
    Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2017, 02.29 pm
    Aug 01, 2017, 02.29 pm
    I think there was some problems already with the top end and the fluid contamination was just a kicker that added to it. I did not know about the top end replacements done for the early models like mine until recently. I am not happy!

• Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro  ‐    340

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy
    • City / Town: New York
    Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2017, 02.39 pm
    Aug 01, 2017, 02.39 pm
    I'm sorry to hear this.  I seem to recall that years ago a product that contained some brake fluid was sometimes used to swell leaking seals in an engine (a temporary fix at best!) but looking around the internet (if you can believe things there) the general consensus seems to be that brake fluid will destroy seals.  That being said, if you changed the oil right away you would think it would have avoided any issues.
    With the price of these bikes coming down so far I wonder if it pays to buy new and part yours out.  Obviously you will take a hit but the new motor will cost either way.
    Or, there was a member here selling a 10,000 mile bike in CA for about $7500 US with lots of goodies on it. 

• Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro  ‐    340

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2017, 02.41 pm
    Aug 01, 2017, 02.41 pm
    *Originally Posted by SciGuy [+]
    I think there was some problems already with the top end and the fluid contamination was just a kicker that added to it. I did not know about the top end replacements done for the early models like mine until recently. I am not happy!
    Maybe you have a shot here with Triumph corporate.  They might harp on the fluid contamination but if you qualified for the top end work maybe they will at least kick in.

• Offline ZShyster   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    333

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
    Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2017, 03.48 pm
    Aug 01, 2017, 03.48 pm
    I agree with Trophy Bike.  If Triumph is not going to provide a new motor on them, including installation, I would buy a new one and part out your old bike.  New motor, new warranty, and the opportunity to buy an extended warranty which is so important on this bike.

I know it is somewhat more expensive but a 4 year newer bike with less time and miles on the components will be well worth the cost.

Good Luck.

ZShyster

• Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro  ‐    340

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2017, 04.26 pm
    Aug 01, 2017, 04.26 pm
    *Originally Posted by SciGuy [+]
    Hello everyone,

I experienced a slave cylinder failure for the clutch witch led to, (according to the shop) problems in the top end. Shop says it will be cheaper to replace the motor than replace all the damaged pieces. However, they cannot locate a motor for the bike. Anybody have any leads for a 2013 Trophy motor?
    I didn't even know that the clutch slave failure would cause fluid to leak right into the oil.  I wrongly assumed the two systems were separated.  It would seem that you might have some footing there with Triumph as well.  That slave failure is an odd thing to happen and to grenade a motor over it.....Triumph is willing to listen at least.  Especially if you have a low mileage bike and service records.

tweedy-bunch