Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Test ride, observations, added fees  (Read 3390 times)

• Offline HC

• Trophy Junior  ‐    3
    • Topic Author

Offline HC

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: FJR1300
    • City / Town: Burlington NC
    Test ride, observations, added fees
    on: Aug 05, 2017, 03.37 am
    Aug 05, 2017, 03.37 am
    I test drove a TTSE today. The salesman drove a 1200 Tiger Explorer. We switched at the 1/2 way point of the test ride.

The TTSE was surprisingly agile and powerful. The cruise control and ABS were the reasons I traveled to this dealer and took the test ride.

Two problems kept me from buying it. One is the heat pouring out to my right foot. I wear Redwing boots so the ankles are covered in thick leather. My right foot was very hot when we stopped. I hopped off the bike and used a bare hand to probe around the position where my right foot was. The fairings and engine casing were super hot so I was vindicated in thinking that a ton of heat is pouring out to the place where my right foot was located.

Probing around the left side shows that there is some rubber foam that prevents the heat from hitting the left foot. Why did the designers not add this foam to the right side to keep the heat from the right foot?

The second problem is that the generous fairings create a zero pressure zone that prevents any air from cooling my upper body. I wear a mesh jacket in the summer and expect some cooling on the chest and arms. The TTSE prevents any cooling.

Lastly, this dealership adds $500 for shipping, $500 for doc fee and $500 for dealer setup. Totally bogus $1500 add-ons.

Just my observations. I loved driving the bike but the total experience was like driving a great bike trapped in a slow cooker (crockpot in the USA).

• Offline smash   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    191

Offline smash

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    Re: Test ride, observations, added fees
    Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2017, 04.03 am
    Aug 05, 2017, 04.03 am
    I've never noticed any heat on my feet or legs on my 2017.  I wonder if something was missing from the right side of the one you rode.  I wear a mesh jacket on the Trophy when its hot, also.  I find it tolerable with the windshield all the way down, even at 100F, but just barely.  I have always worn perforated leather in the summer on sport and naked bikes, but there just isn't enough wind flow on the Trophy.  It will be really nice this winter though. 

• Offline HC

• Trophy Junior  ‐    3
    • Topic Author

Offline HC

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2017, 04.17 am
    Aug 05, 2017, 04.17 am
    *Originally Posted by smash [+]
    I've never noticed any heat on my feet or legs on my 2017.  I wonder if something was missing from the right side of the one you rode.  I wear a mesh jacket on the Trophy when its hot, also.  I find it tolerable with the windshield all the way down, even at 100F, but just barely.  I have always worn perforated leather in the summer on sport and naked bikes, but there just isn't enough wind flow on the Trophy.  It will be really nice this winter though.

My 2003 FJR1300 has this same problem. I performed some modifications to block much of the heat.

Looking at the TTSE, there is nothing blocking the path from the headers to the right foot.

• Offline Bludy L   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1692

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
    Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2017, 03.22 pm
    Aug 05, 2017, 03.22 pm
    I assume it was a pretty warm day when you took the test ride.

There is some heat and I believe you're correct that there's more on the right side. I agree that the fairing limits cooling on hot days. But on the other hand it protects you from the wind on cold, rainy or cold and rainy days. I'm not sure you can have both cooling and protection from the cold.

I must admit that my bike of choice when the temperature is above 85F (30C) is my T100, unless I'm headed somewhere and have a load to carry. Even on a hot day the T100 can be warm to ride. When I headed out to South Dakota in June it was in the low 90s when I went through the Badlands. I found pouring a bottle of water over myself every hour or so helped immensely. While I was in the Black Hills a cold front came through. Morning temperatures were in the 40s and highs around 60. That fairing was very much appreciated then.
    My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

• Offline HC

• Trophy Junior  ‐    3
    • Topic Author

Offline HC

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2017, 04.32 pm
    Aug 05, 2017, 04.32 pm
    Yes it was hot when I rode the TTSE. I live in NC and its hot in the summer so anything I ride has to be summer friendly. Most of my riding is in NC/TN/VA and at sea level it is hot in the summer.

It is unfortunate that the designers were in England where its cold and damp or rainy much of the year. They seemed to not have considered what the conditions are in the USA during prime riding season.

A couple of removable plugs that bring fresh air to the rider would probably be adequate. Vetter was doing this in the early 1970s. Not rocket science.

I really wanted to love the bike and was prepared to buy one. I liked the handling and creature comforts. But a bike that I like trapped in a slow cooker is not something I want to own if its brand new. If it was 5 years old and out of warranty then I would consider getting out the tools and modifying the air flow. This is what I have done on the FJR. It was over 10 years old and mostly depreciated so no harm in modifying it.

In a few years, I may revisit getting a TTSE as a used bike ready to modify. 

• Offline Xsv   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    477

Offline Xsv

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE, 2017 BMW
    • City / Town: Washington State
    Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2017, 04.51 pm
    Aug 05, 2017, 04.51 pm
    The ttse has a large range of adjustability and so adding a shorter shield allows more air flow when down, but still has enough rise for rainy weather.  The cee bailey's sport shield did this for me.

Highway pegs on the R&G bars allow your legs to sit in the wind if you rest your calfs on them.  If you put your feet on the pegs it draws the wind into your lower body and clears out that hot pocket of heated air.  In this position, if my shirt is untucked it will blow open the bottom of my shirt and blow it up so it looks like you are wearing some weird half shirt  :002:

Like Bludy L said, there is a flip side because not everyday is hot :001:

• Offline Xsv   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    477

Offline Xsv

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE, 2017 BMW
    • City / Town: Washington State
    Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2017, 05.10 pm
    Aug 05, 2017, 05.10 pm
    I have yet to find the "perfect" bike for me.

I look at the pros and cons.  If the pros outweigh the cons I look at how I can mitigate the cons.  There is always something; the seat, tires, windshield. Rise of the bars,etc.

On this bike I have mitigated several things that make it a better bike for me.  Is it perfect, no.   Is it close to it...for me, yes :047:

• Offline rpeters549   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    750

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lowell, Or
    Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2017, 08.26 pm
    Aug 05, 2017, 08.26 pm
    Good observations on your test ride, sorry it wasn't the bike for you.

I am of the belief that no one bike can be perfect.  You typically trade power for fuel economy to a degree.  You trade protection in cooler/damper for cooler in heat.  You trade comfort/seating position for 'sport'.  It is just the way it is.  I came from a Goldwing and am a year round rider.  For me, that slightly warmer in the summer feeling due to the fairing/screen is an ideal trade off for the wet Oregon winter weather.

I just dress for the weather regardless.  I also know that in the summer I may be warmer than I want to be, but thank my lucky stars the other 6 months of the year.
    Year round rider here!

tweedy-bunch