Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Bearings -aftermarket - what size?  (Read 5778 times)

• Offline Autopilot

• Trophy Member  ‐    61
    • Topic Author

Offline Autopilot

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2014 TT
    • City / Town: Bath
    Bearings -aftermarket - what size?
    on: Aug 07, 2017, 09.04 am
    Aug 07, 2017, 09.04 am
    My TT reached the grand old age of 3 a few weeks back, and consequently it had its first MOT.  I got an advisory on the front bearings...apparently one of them is a bit dry and you can hear it a bit, so worthy of change as soon as i can.

Its something that I am happy to swap out myself as i had done the suspension on my old sprint a few years ago... so i got on to my local stealer and they wanted £24 per bearing, and i forget what they said about the dust covers as i was still in shock at that point ! WTF

Before i start surfing and researching all of this, has anyone already worked out what sizes we need to replace these with and where is good to get them?

also while i am at it, i think i might do those on the rear suspension as i guess they are going to be dry by now, so if anyone knows these also maybe we can coordinate a list here so we know what to get without getting robbed by Triumph.

• Offline silverstripes   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1071

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
    Re: Bearings -aftermarket - what size?
    Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2017, 09.10 am
    Aug 07, 2017, 09.10 am
    Just pop the bearing out. It should me marked on the outer shell for the size. Go to your local bearing dealer and they should have the size as per the number on the shell or they will measure your bearing.  :047:

Much much cheaper  :169:
    It wasn't me !!

• Offline Autopilot

• Trophy Member  ‐    61
    • Topic Author

Offline Autopilot

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2017, 09.18 am
    Aug 07, 2017, 09.18 am
    *Originally Posted by silverstripes [+]
    Just pop the bearing out. It should me marked on the outer shell for the size. Go to your local bearing dealer and they should have the size as per the number on the shell or they will measure your bearing.  :047:

Much much cheaper  :169:
    Thanks, I would normally pull em and do this, but i need to order them first and as i don't have a nearby retailer, i will order online.....i cant have the bike off the road as its my daily commute, so i need to get them ordered before i start taking the bike to bits.

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    970

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2017, 10.42 am
    Aug 07, 2017, 10.42 am
    Front wheel bearings are 6204 2RS, the seals are 28x47x7. You will need 2 of each and I got the lot from a local bearing supplier for about £15. I did a post here somne time ago about changing them and have a drift and guide if you want to borrow it for the price of post both ways. You may find the ally spacers each side of the wheel are worn where the seals rub, good idea using a soft material here EH? I made 2 new ones from stainless instead of paying £17 each for originals

• Offline Autopilot

• Trophy Member  ‐    61
    • Topic Author

Offline Autopilot

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2017, 01.00 pm
    Sep 10, 2017, 01.00 pm
    so i finally got around to doing the front bearings.....they were a bit dry and dirty shall we say and had a unpleasant crunch when turned, but still in working order!

they were a bit of a pig to start them moving, but with a bit of release oil and my trusty slide hammer they popped out. 
    I did have a heart attack moment when i used the old one to push the new ones in and the old one got stuck.....but the trusty mole grips pulled the old one away fortunately.  Tip to self...make sure i freeze the new bearings overnight first so they drop in.

got some KOYO 6204RS bearings and the 28x47x7 oils seals...whole lot off e-of-bay for the tidy sum of £15.92 delivered

As you say 1675, the spacers had been worn a bit by the old seals, but they seemed OK for now, so they are on the short list to get some next time i am at dealer......although crying at the £19.40 each tag as i dont have means to make my own.

Thanks all.  a grand job  :001:

• Offline 1675   gb

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2017, 06.06 pm
    Sep 10, 2017, 06.06 pm
    I still have the drawing from when I did mine. Let me know when you next plan to have the front wheel out and I will make you a pair from stainless

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2017, 09.02 pm
    Sep 10, 2017, 09.02 pm
    I've heard that the fakers/con artists use the likes of eBay to pass on fake or sub standard parts, bearings that haven't even been heat treated for example have been reported in the past.

Any chance of posting links to recommended suppliers? Maybe an whole separate thread with such info/links could 'pinned' near the top?? I'm sure that I'll need these parts at some point.     

• Offline 1675   gb

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2017, 11.57 pm
    Sep 10, 2017, 11.57 pm
    Dont bother with ebay for bearings. Just go to any bearing supplier in your home town and I suggest there will be more than one, and discuss your requirements with the guy behind the counter. He will have lots of knowledge about what you need and will offer sound advice. He will also be there when you eventually need the next set. Or you could get them off ebay, wait a week for delivery from somewhere far away and have no come back when they fail prematurely. Your choice.