Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: TPMS not in display?  (Read 3787 times)

• Offline imar11

• Trophy Member  ‐    21
    • Topic Author

Offline imar11

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Buckley
    TPMS not in display?
    on: Aug 07, 2017, 11.13 am
    Aug 07, 2017, 11.13 am
    Hi all, just got my secondhand TrophySE and love the ride etc. I have noticed that when i turn the ignition on the TPMS yellow warning light does not come on and i cannot find the option to select the TPMS in the center display either. I know this can be turned off by a dealer but is there any other reason they are not showing ? Thanks in advance for any help
    08 Speed Triple
    09 Tiger 1050
    09 Rocket Touring III
    13 Thunderbird 1600 (8 ball paint)

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    948

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Re: TPMS not in display?
    Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2017, 02.05 pm
    Aug 07, 2017, 02.05 pm
    Does the bike have TPMS? If it does then be aware they do not show up until the bike has been ridden 200 yards. [I think they TPMS models have silver 90 degree valve stems, but not 100%] Instructions are in the handbook as to how to configure the display. The handbook should also  give the serial numbers of each unit which would confirm you have TPMS

• Offline imar11

• Trophy Member  ‐    21
    • Topic Author

Offline imar11

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2017, 02.17 pm
    Aug 07, 2017, 02.17 pm
    Thanks for the reply and the info, it is an SE so as far as i know they are standard with TPMS? maybe i am wrong thinking this. The valve is 90 degree though so it seems from what you say that is correct. I had a read of the book and i should be able to select the TPMS for the central display and when at rest i should see two lines or dashes, as you say they should show the pressure once i am on the move but i dont even get the dashes or even a yellow light when i first turn on the ignition to show that it is on / working.
    I am just wondering if this has been turned off by the dealer at the request of the previous owner, hence no warning light or options, or if its just been removed full stop?
    08 Speed Triple
    09 Tiger 1050
    09 Rocket Touring III

• Offline john348   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1524

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
    • City / Town: Farndon
    Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2017, 04.35 pm
    Aug 07, 2017, 04.35 pm
    Not sure what yellow light you are on about.  I have yellow for abs until I have moved and yellow for suspension until it has settled.  Yellow for traction control if I slide things around! 

Tpms just shows front and back with dashes on central display as said until you have moved.  Once moved it will stay on even when not moving for a time.  Then in the bottom of the display I get low battery warnings when the temperature is low.  But these have been showing for 2 winters already!  But a quick press of the button gets rid of each message.

I believe the system can be turned on and off by the dealer .

• Offline atrophy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    516

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
    • City / Town: SW Ohio
    Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2017, 04.49 pm
    Aug 07, 2017, 04.49 pm
    I would guess that the TPMS batteries are low or exhausted and the PO had the dealer disable it rather than spend about $300 replacing them.
    2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
    2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
    IBA 24605

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2017, 05.25 pm
    Aug 07, 2017, 05.25 pm
    *Originally Posted by atrophy [+]
    I would guess that the TPMS batteries are low or exhausted and the PO had the dealer disable it rather than spend about $300 replacing them.

That's my guess too.

Personally I'm torn with this TPMS, it's good to have in theory but having to replace the whole sensor and having to have a dealer to program the bike to communicate with them is a joke, that's going to be expensive.

I keep seeing the low battery warning message every time the temp is below 18c or so, it is a pain in the rear end.

To the OP, I'd think carefully about getting the whole system reactivated myself.

• Offline imar11

• Trophy Member  ‐    21
    • Topic Author

Offline imar11

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2017, 08.15 am
    Aug 08, 2017, 08.15 am
    Thanks very much for all the help and info. The yellow light i am talking about is the tyre pressure warning light, its center bottom of the speedo clock. I figure if the system is active that should light up when i turn on the ignition to show the bulb isnt blown etc. I assume if that does not come on then the last owner has deactivated the TPMS and i really am not sure if i do need it or not. At the moment i can take the bike back to the dealer and get them to sort it as i have a limited warranty on the second hand bike, i just am not sure if its worth the hassle i will face when the batteries go next time.

Can any one tell me how long they last? The rate i go through bikes it may be worth it.

thanks again all :087:
    08 Speed Triple
    09 Tiger 1050
    09 Rocket Touring III

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2017, 08.50 am
    Aug 08, 2017, 08.50 am
    These batteries are the CR button type, you just don't know how long ago the sensors were made or how long they sat on the shelf etc so it's hard to say how long they would last.

Another point on that yellow warning light, if it's on when it comes to MOT time, it should fail, well I know that a car would so I suspect that it's the same for bikes.

Depending on how quick you want a retest, how much money you have, availability of new sensors, the time it takes for a dealer to remove tyres & program them, you may be out of time for a free test??

These points add to the reasons for keeping the system inactive in my opinion.

tweedy-bunch