Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Final drive oil leak  (Read 2963 times)

• Offline Gmiller

• Trophy Junior  ‐    8
    • Topic Author

Offline Gmiller

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy se 2013
    • City / Town: High river ab
    Final drive oil leak
    on: Aug 10, 2017, 01.07 am
    Aug 10, 2017, 01.07 am
    I have seen a number of posts on this issue and thought I would share my ongoing experience.  2013 TT SE bought from from Florida with 500 miles now resides in High River Alberta Canada.  At around 20000 km noticed a few drops of oil on the rubber boot at the end of the shaft before the final drive.  It was at the end of a particularly great ride in Lolo pass in Montana.  Cleaned up the oil check the final drive levels all was ok.  Had to change the rear pads and clean up the rotor.  This season noticed again drops of oil after a long ride.  Brought it into the triumph dealer Blackfoot Motorsport.  Problem diagnosed as a leak in the oil seal on the shaft into the final drive.  No access, no repair option.  Complete final drive has to be replaced.  $1400 Cdn for the part plus 2 hours labor.  Ouch!  two emails to Triumph north America proved fruitless out of warranty therefore no coverage and no recognition on the poor engineering or safety aspect of the failure.  Dealer also called Triumph north America with no results.  Oil seals are a standard industry commodity. has there been anybody out there replace the seal with an equivalent spec oil seal??  Anybody got any ideas on how to hold Triumph to accountability for this poor design?  Anybody have the replacement final drive and know how the design is different. 

BTW love the forum love the bike.  Tired of the problems thought.  Bad neutral gear switch, Bad Starter switch.  Radio bluetooth running the battery down.  leaking oil seals front forks. 
    Greg m

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Re: Final drive oil leak
    Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2017, 08.30 am
    Aug 10, 2017, 08.30 am
    Sorry that I don't have answers, my guess is that someone else makes those drive shaft seals but where can us owners get them from??

Upside down forks are nice to have but unnecessary on a touring bike I feel,.....keep cleaning them after every wet ride out etc is a pain but should help to prolong the life of those seals.

• Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro  ‐    340

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy
    • City / Town: New York
    Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2017, 01.55 pm
    Aug 10, 2017, 01.55 pm
    *Originally Posted by Gmiller [+]
    I have seen a number of posts on this issue and thought I would share my ongoing experience.  2013 TT SE bought from from Florida with 500 miles now resides in High River Alberta Canada.  At around 20000 km noticed a few drops of oil on the rubber boot at the end of the shaft before the final drive.  It was at the end of a particularly great ride in Lolo pass in Montana.  Cleaned up the oil check the final drive levels all was ok.  Had to change the rear pads and clean up the rotor.  This season noticed again drops of oil after a long ride.  Brought it into the triumph dealer Blackfoot Motorsport.  Problem diagnosed as a leak in the oil seal on the shaft into the final drive.  No access, no repair option.  Complete final drive has to be replaced.  $1400 Cdn for the part plus 2 hours labor.  Ouch!  two emails to Triumph north America proved fruitless out of warranty therefore no coverage and no recognition on the poor engineering or safety aspect of the failure.  Dealer also called Triumph north America with no results.  Oil seals are a standard industry commodity. has there been anybody out there replace the seal with an equivalent spec oil seal??  Anybody got any ideas on how to hold Triumph to accountability for this poor design?  Anybody have the replacement final drive and know how the design is different. 

BTW love the forum love the bike.  Tired of the problems thought.  Bad neutral gear switch, Bad Starter switch.  Radio bluetooth running the battery down.  leaking oil seals front forks. 
    Greg m
    I just want to make sure I understand, are you talking about the shaft leaking where it meets the final drive?  Mine leaked at the final drive itself (from the center) and it seems others have had that issue.  Yours sounds like it might be a little different?  Triumph has stepped up a few times and replaced the final drive in cases where it leaked based on posts here on the forum.  Not sure about the shaft seal. 
    In my case, even though there were posts about the final drive not being serviceable (and I think the manual says the same) Triumph would only authorize my dealer to replace the seal in there.  When doing so they promptly broke the rear drive trying to separate it to get to the seal and I needed a new drive anyway!  I am told it is a different part but nobody at Triumph could tell me what makes it different .....I can only say that the original center cap/cover no longer fit in the center hole in the drive and a new part was required there as well.
    Best you can do is try Triumph UK and fill them in on your frustrations (again).  They might get on the US guys and perhaps you can get some relief.  It sucks having this costly repair on low mileage bikes. 

• Offline Gmiller

• Trophy Junior  ‐    8
    • Topic Author

Offline Gmiller

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2017, 03.00 pm
    Aug 10, 2017, 03.00 pm
    The oil is dripping from the rubber boot and sometimes from the breather hole in the bottom of the shaft housing.  No oil leak is visible anywhere arround the final drive itself.  The dealer said it was the final drive forward oil seal on shaft.  Again un-serviceable.
    G

• Offline Stelyn   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    931

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
    Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2017, 04.40 pm
    Aug 10, 2017, 04.40 pm
    Hi,  `pm'  sent, I enhanced the images from the service manual which seems to clearly detail the seals and bearings location, should you want them.
         Regards,
         Steve 
    Last Edit: Aug 10, 2017, 04.45 pm by Stelyn
    `Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

• Offline ZShyster   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    332

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
    Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2017, 06.13 pm
    Aug 10, 2017, 06.13 pm
    There are a couple of rear drive units on ebay for what it is worth.

ZShyster

• Offline TT Ashford

• Trophy Member  ‐    70

Offline TT Ashford

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: TT SE
    • City / Town: Kent
    Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2017, 09.14 pm
    Aug 14, 2017, 09.14 pm
    was lucky with mine, bike was out of warrenty but whole unit was replaced by Triumph.

• Offline Gmiller

• Trophy Junior  ‐    8
    • Topic Author

Offline Gmiller

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2017, 10.22 pm
    Aug 14, 2017, 10.22 pm
    Any tips on how to structure the argument to get Triumph to recognize some responsibility for compensation??
    G

tweedy-bunch