Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Trophy Reliability/ Fit  (Read 5243 times)

• Offline Goose1

• Trophy Junior  ‐    4
    • Topic Author

Offline Goose1

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Road Glide
    • City / Town: California Coast
    Trophy Reliability/ Fit
    on: Aug 14, 2017, 02.26 pm
    Aug 14, 2017, 02.26 pm
    Hello All,

Just joined, mostly to research the Trophy.

Background, started riding in 1969 on a Honda Trail 90. Next bike was my only English bike, a very beat up BSA B40 350 single. Not exactly the Empire's motorcycle high point to start with and horribly abused by by previous owners. Far beyond my skills to keep running. Back to Japanese bikes, a few years as a backmarker in AFM road racing then on to BMWs for a long while, 12 bikes total. Adventure touring on an R100GS, fast touring on K and R models ending with a K1200LT. A couple of Ducatis, never got into them, and a V11Sport Moto Guzzi, loved that bike, had it almost 9 years. In 2006 I rented a Harley touring bike and loved it, bought a Road Glide 7/05/06. Been riding it and a 2009 XR1200 since.

Much personal turmoil in the last few years, a couple of health issues and I find myself a Harley stereotype, mostly short puts with my girlfriend on the back, planning to extend to weekends but no more of the high milage, multi day trips like in the BMW days. 

I'm looking for a bike that is lighter than the new touring cruisers (over 900 pounds!, my 2006 is well under 800) but comfy for me and passenger.  Good handling, strong low RPM power, not too tough to handle in a parking lot, reliable and possible for me to do most of the maintenance. That last part is important because I'm over 100 miles from a Triumph shop.

Both the girlfriend and I are tall (6' 4" and 5' 9") medium build for me, slender for her. My legs are short for my height, hers are very long. Comments on fit for us? 

I found an English translation of a Das Motorrad 50,000 KM test that didn't look so great. The main bearings were pretty worn. Can some of you relieve some anxiety by telling me you have big, trouble free miles on the big three? I'm hopeful this was just an early/ pre production problem.

Thanks,

Goose

• Offline tdragger   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    584

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Fredericksburg
    Re: Trophy Reliability/ Fit
    Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2017, 02.47 pm
    Aug 14, 2017, 02.47 pm
    As far as reliability, the early models had some teething pains like most bikes do but, imho, the Trophy has been very reliable.  No stator issues. No final drive issues. etc.

I'm also long waisted (a nice way to say tall but short legs).  The Trophy definitely sits up higher than your RGlide so the leg swing will be tougher.  The Trophy is also very top-heavy but once used to it no problem.  You may need to do the poor-mans's riser mod (about $15 and works well) and possibly change the pegs to give you some leg room. 

I'm giving you some nit-pick issues.  Otherwise, the bike is great.  I do LD rides and rallies and the Trophy is the perfect bike.

Also, the useful load on the Trophy is well over 500 lbs so it makes a good 2-up mount.  The new Yamaha Venture is only rated to 406 lbs.
    -------------------------------------
    15 Triumph Trophy SE (2019 IBR)
    16 Triumph Trophy SE (2021 IBR)
    IBA #609

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10004

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2017, 04.36 pm
    Aug 14, 2017, 04.36 pm
    The specified "Wet weight" / "ready to ride weight" of the Trophy SE is 662 lbs.

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Mar 28, 2020, 08.41 pm by Coconut

• Offline Goose1

• Trophy Junior  ‐    4
    • Topic Author

Offline Goose1

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2017, 06.08 pm
    Aug 14, 2017, 06.08 pm
    Thanks guys.

tdragger: "Also, the useful load on the Trophy is well over 500 lbs so it makes a good 2-up mount.  The new Yamaha Venture is only rated to 406 lbs". The first part is good info, thanks. The second sentence cracked me up, the Yamaha would have a lot better load capacity if it didn't 38 pounds less than a half ton. Am I the only one who expects the Japanese to be better at designing bikes that Harley and Indian? The new Yamaha is the bike that made me realise cruisers were not going to get any lighter and I'd better look at other options.

Coconut: "The specified "Wet weight" / "ready to ride weight" of the Trophy SE is 662 lbs". That is a big draw for me. The Trophy seems to hit a sweet spot, heavy for a sport tourer but light for a luxury touring bike.

Another piece of perspective, I like my Road Glide. I've done some (OK, a lot of) work to get the chassis to handle and ride better than stock and a little to the engine for passing power. It is just that, after 11years, it is just time for something new and I'm not interested in anything any heavier than the 775-ish Lb. Harley. It would also be nice if I didn't have to fix things in the chassis the manufacturer should have done right in the first place.  :015:

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10004

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2017, 06.16 pm
    Aug 14, 2017, 06.16 pm
    The very best research you can do, is to take one for a Test Ride  :169:

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Mar 28, 2020, 08.41 pm by Coconut

• Offline Goose1

• Trophy Junior  ‐    4
    • Topic Author

Offline Goose1

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2017, 07.49 pm
    Aug 14, 2017, 07.49 pm
    Yeah, you are right. The problem is the 100 miles to a Triumph dealer and the fact that the roads are really dull and it is about 100F most of the way between my cool, coastal home and the inferno that is summer in the Great Central Valley of California.  :156:

Maybe I should shelve this until late September when the temps will (hopefully) be cooler.

Thanks for your time.

• Offline dandrumheller   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    197

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lebanon ME
    Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2017, 01.55 am
    Aug 16, 2017, 01.55 am
    Hey Goose,

Fellow Harley rider here.  I came here to research the Trophy as well, with the intent to trade my '11 Electraglide (stage 1 103, for comparison info) for one, as the current prices are extremely hard to resist.  In my mind, this is a LOT of bike, especially for the prices many places are asking now. 

Obviously, I'm not an owner so I can't comment on longevity, but here's what I found in a quick test ride:

Performance - in another league.  Pulls very well from LOW in the rev band, and doesn't really care at all what gear it's in.  Only really needs 1st/3rd/5th.  I'm sure others can comment more, but it was perfectly happy at 40mph in 5th gear and would go just fine - my Harley wouldn't like that very much.  Since it was a demo bike I didn't wind it out too much, but at less than half of redline it was in 'naughty just about everywhere' speeds.  Brakes on the Trophy were spectacular.  Probably not true, but it sure felt like I could stoppie any time I wanted to. 

Feel - more top heavy than the Glide, but at 200# lighter, it wasn't bad to handle at low speeds.  I felt like it was well mannered in the parking lot.  Only did a solo test ride, so don't know how much more a passenger would impact this.  Demo bike also did not have a top case on.   Power windshield was awesome - all the way down and I got wind blast to the face, all the way up I was looking through it, and no wind at all.  Sweet spot for me was somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 up. 

Ergonomics - (mostly) Why I didn't trade the Harley for the Trophy - riding position was horrible for my knees.  I think this is just par for the course with sport touring bikes, but there's no way I could spend a signficant part of a day with my knees bent back that far.  Upper body position wasn't bad for me, slightly more forward lean than I like, but not so much I was putting weight on my wrists.   I'm a short fat guy (5'8", 30" inseam) and could comfortably flat foot in the logger boots I normally ride in.  Didn't do any measuring but back seat ergos appeared tighter than the Harley from seat to pegs, and that would not go over well with my 5'7" passenger...

Hope that helps you some...

Dan

2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

• Offline nervouswreck   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    762

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 TTSE
    • City / Town: SWFL
    Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2017, 03.20 am
    Aug 16, 2017, 03.20 am
    I don't recall anyone mentioning this, but maybe they have.  As Dan was singing the praises of the motor on the demo bike it occurred to me to mention how much stronger the motor seems as the miles add up.  My 13 is pushing 38000 and the motor just  keeps getting better all the time.  I am hoping it will live a good long life because it simply amazes me every time I get on it.  I love the sound when the revs come up even to the middle range.  It worries me sometimes when first starting it up, it sounds loose but runs like a champ and uses little to  no oil between changes.  I had 87000 plus miles on my RT hope the Trophy will do that and more.  I'm betting it will.

tweedy-bunch