Hello from Moscow Russia by redcap0006
[Today at 08:50:58 AM]

IPod 16GB by Trophyed-Up
[Today at 04:44:34 AM]

New Mexico Trophy Owner by Jeffb
[Today at 04:44:03 AM]

First Trophy impressions by Trophyed-Up
[Today at 04:30:56 AM]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Washing Gore-Tex  (Read 2672 times)

Offline loads of miles

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Silver
  • City / Town: Welwyn Garden City
Washing Gore-Tex
« on: June 25, 2013, 05:21:01 PM »
Need to wash my Dainese Gore-Tex jacket and trousers ...Have got the proper washing liquid  and have even read the instructions ( terrible confession for a bloke  i know ) but wondered if anyone else has washed gore-Tex and what the results were in relation to the "Waterproof-ness" ! I see it recomend tumble drying to activate the waterproof additives .Am more than happy with how dry it keeps me know dont want to spoil it by washing however it says in the booklet that dirt can over time cause the product to let water through as the holes are blocked .
Any results good or bad fellow riders .
thanks

Loads of miles

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: Washing Gore-Tex
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 06:36:02 PM »
 I wash mine in nic wax wash in, which is supposed to re waterproof things.  I also put it for a short time in the tumble drier I was told to open the pores to get rid of dust etc???

Offline Caoimhín

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 10:09:03 PM »
I've done my streetguard suit a few times using ordinary detergent and leaving to dry in sun. No tumble-drying. All as per instructions. Works fine with no loss of waterproofness.
Caoimhín

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 10:40:18 AM »
It was the salesman from Halvarsson who said to put it in the tumble drier for a couple of minutes to opne the pores and release any trapped dust.  Not sure if it does anything though. 

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 04:16:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by john348 [+]
I wash mine in nic wax wash in, which is supposed to re waterproof things.  I also put it for a short time in the tumble drier I was told to open the pores to get rid of dust etc???

Washed my gore-tex in nic wax also. It was a friend that works in the clothing sales that told me to wash it to bring back the water proofing  :087: The membrane gets blocked over a time with road grime etc and then lets in water. It needs to be detergent free to avoid damage to the membrane or so I'm told  :087: but it works. It's back to being 100% waterproof.

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline chrisb1

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 10:21:46 AM »
do mine  once per year...gets back to beads on the surface after the wash......rtfm and it will work. I also use the nikwax stuff b***y expensive but then so was the jacket.

Offline kingoffleece

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1050SE
  • City / Town: Western New York
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 12:32:17 PM »
Follow the Nix directions.  The heat activates the DWR which keeps the fabric from "wetting out".

tweedy-bunch