Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Buying My 2017 Trophy SE?  (Read 6421 times)

• Offline GaryWWhite   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    535
    • Topic Author

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 TTSE Black
    • City / Town: Lees Summit Missouri
    Buying My 2017 Trophy SE?
    on: Aug 21, 2017, 11.45 pm
    Aug 21, 2017, 11.45 pm
    Hey Guys,

I'm a newbie from the States and live in the center of that country in a state called Missouri in a city called Lees Summit, Missouri (suburb of Kansas City).  To be honest I am new to riding after taking it up after a 30 year hiatus.  I owned a Harley Davidson Sportster C1200 for 6 weeks before totaling it.  I don't remember the accident at all and this happened in the first part of May of this year.  I recall riding in a group (Christian Motorcyclists Association) in a staggered formation near the edge of a paved road in a rural area.  I was informed that I swerved to the center of the roadway a couple of times and then was told I ran off the road, went down an embankment and struck a ditch.  I then high sided over the bars and rolled 25 yards down the embankment.  When I woke up I was told I had been in an accident.  The only pain I felt was in the back of my right leg.  Nothing else was injured I  thought. No apparent broken bones, lacerations etc. They called for an ambulance and I was transported to a nearby hospital where numerous tests were run.  I thought that I had escaped with just contusions and minor abrasions (wrong!).  The CT scan of my head revealed that I had sustained a subdural hematoma.  I was then taken by ambulance to Kansas City to a major trauma center. Basically, the brain bleed was found to be small and I was advised that the brain and tissue would absorb the blood clot (wrong!).  Eight (8) weeks later I was in ICU because of another more significant hematoma in the frontal lobes.  I had had intermittent numbness in my left wrist and hand for three days straight and thought I was having a minor stroke.  This is what led me to the hospital.  I was in ICU for a day and a half and then transferred to the neuro ward for two days.  I had no other problems with numbness in my hand after being admitted and no other symptoms.  I was released and advised to follow up with a neurosurgeon and to have another CT scan before the follow up appointment just before I was seen by the doctor.  The CT scan revealed no change in the hematoma and I will be going back for a followup in about 3 more weeks.  The Doctor remarked that he might have to go into the cranial area of the brain and remove the clot and irrigate the brain.  I am not driving now and the Doctor said definitely not to try to ride a bike.  He is concerned about another blow to the head could be fatal or I might suffer seizures.

Anyways, back to the Trophy SE.  I saw one at my local dealer on Saturday and fell in love with the bike.  It is a 2017 marked down from $19,500 to $13,500.  I didn't buy it on Saturday which was stupid; however, they were closed on Sunday and today (Monday) and I hope no one bought it because I am buying it tomorrow.  I must have read and watched every review and YouTube video I could find on the bike.  What a great machine!  I couldn't find any really negative things at all about the bike even when compared to the BMW stated to be its counterpart.  I am probably insane signing up to your Forum not even knowing if I can acquire the bike but feel assured that it hasn't been sold (fingers crossed).  Anyhow, I will let you all know tomorrow of the wonderful or terrible news as it might be.  Nevertheless, I thought some of you might enjoy a survival story.

If I am released to drive in the near future, I plan on taking the Trophy SE for a spin with motorcycle chapter.

My Best to You All!
    Gary

P.S.  I'm an old fart being 67 years young (ha ha)

• Online HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1297

Online HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Re: Buying My 2017 Trophy SE?
    Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2017, 01.15 am
    Aug 22, 2017, 01.15 am
    Well Gary that was an interesting "return" to motorcycling. Trust that the medical profession will get on top of your "MINOR" issues. Don't worry about being an "OLD FART", your young, I'm 69 and couldn't be happier with my Trophy. As your can see below I'm a member of the FarRiders [Australian Long Distance Riding Group] and also the Iron Butt Association [longer distances]. I have constantly been involved with bikes in one way or the other [road, dirt, racing, touring and rallying] since a very young age, 15. Seems like a bike has been attached to the base of my spine for a bloody long time. You'll enjoy the Trophy, like you'll enjoy the banter and information on the forum. Your only problem will be not spending money on extra items to enhance your toy. All the best with the upcoming ownership, which I would imagine would have taken place by the time you read this post. :400: :821: :300:
    HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Offline GaryWWhite   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    535
    • Topic Author

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 TTSE Black
    • City / Town: Lees Summit Missouri
    Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2017, 01.30 am
    Aug 22, 2017, 01.30 am
    Hi Hackle!

Thanks for the kind response!  I suppose it is Winter time down under?  Does the windscreen and fairing really help with buffeting?  Thanks for age info as I feel so much younger now (lol).
    I am really excited about tomorrow and getting the bike.  Do you have any idea why Triumph is discontinuing this model?

Best Wishes,
    Gary

• Offline Michel1960

• Trophy Pro  ‐    315

Offline Michel1960

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Quebec
    Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2017, 02.54 am
    Aug 22, 2017, 02.54 am
    Hello Gary , first welcome to the group ...for the buffetting I have absolutly none whatsover....with the adjustable shield you will find the sweet spot/height you need to be most comfortable!
    Honda 350 ( old),Suzuki 400 GS 1975
    Yamaha Maxim 750 1983,Yamaha Venture Royale 1984,Honda St1300A 2003
    Bmw K1600GTL 2012
    Triumph Trophy SE 2014

• Offline GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1309

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2017, 07.40 am
    Aug 22, 2017, 07.40 am
     :400: GaryWWhite and  :821:

I hope the bike is still there as it sounds like a steal for such an awesome machine.

Were you wearing ATGATT when you rode off your Sportster?  Knocks to the head, well just  :087:

Hope it all works out,

Love, light and kindness,

Dave
    Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10014

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2017, 09.55 am
    Aug 22, 2017, 09.55 am
    HI GaryWWhite and :400: to the Forum  !

The windshield being adjustable lets you choose the amount of airflow
    and certainly dioes help reduce buffetting at some positions and speeds -
    you'll soon learn the positions that work best for you  :169:

Fingers crossed for the Purchase  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Mar 28, 2020, 08.34 pm by Coconut

• Offline rvbobby   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    416

Offline rvbobby

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy
    • City / Town: Raleigh nc
    Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2017, 12.58 pm
    Aug 22, 2017, 12.58 pm
     :400: to the forum.Remember, its not how many times you get knocked off your bike.Its how many times you get back on and
    continue to conquer the roads.Hope its in your garage today!

• Offline bobv07662   00

• Trophy Pro  ‐    313

Offline bobv07662

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Rochelle Park, NJ
    Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2017, 01.12 pm
    Aug 22, 2017, 01.12 pm
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. If your recovery allows, the Trophy will be a great bike to own and ride as it does everything well.

What kind of equipment were you wearing when you had your accident?
    1978 Bonneville    1973 Trophy Trail TR5T
    2012 Thruxton      1976 Hodaka ED250
    2014 Trophy SE    1950 Vincent Rapide
    1976 Yamaha RD400C 1967 Rickman 8 valve
    1978 Yamaha DT400E

tweedy-bunch