Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Changed the Stock Glove Box Power Socket for Voltmeter with USB Port  (Read 6602 times)

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9947
    • Topic Author

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Changed the Stock Glove Box Power Socket for Voltmeter with USB Port
    on: Aug 23, 2017, 08.24 pm
    Aug 23, 2017, 08.24 pm
    I've been using the "Cigar Lighter" socket in the Glove box,
    together with a plug in USB adapter, to power my iPhone, but it would regularly shake loose !
    ( I don't connect the iPhone to to the Audio USB Port in the Glove box
    as that can then interfere with playing the ( same ) Audio I have on my Garmin Memory Card. ).

I don't really need the Cigar Lighter Power socket as I have another identical one in the Top Box,
    which I use for my portable mini compressor if it's ever needed !

I found a Digital Voltmeter together with a USB Port on "eBay" for GBP 7.93.
    ( Search for "2 in 1 Voltmeter & USB Charger Outlet Waterproof Panel" )
    The seller was from China, but they had stock that has been drop-shipped
    to the UK and it only took 2 days to arrive !

It has a simple screw threaded body, with a screw down retaining ring to lock it in place.
    The Voltmeter digits were Blue to match my Trophy !   ( Red and Green are also available ).

I haven't done a full step by step Photographic "HOW TO" article for this,
    but here's what I did and a few considerations if you are thinking of doing the same :

• Completely remove the Glove box to work on it !
    • The original "Cigar Lighter Socket" is awkward to remove -
      held in place by a couple of moulded tabs.  You can just about see these inside the socket
      and depress them with a small flat bladed screwdriver, rotating the whole assembly to get at the other one !
    • Once the plastic tabs have been eased - push the metal part of the socket "firmly" into the glove box,
      separating it from the retaining plastic collar which can then also be removed.
    • The new USB Voltmeter is about 0.5mm bigger than the hole, so I used a half round file to make it fit !
    • I didn't bother fitting the part shown in the above Photo that would keep water out of the USB Port,
      but there is no real reason not to, other than the limited space inside the glove box !
    • ELECTRICAL : The Glove box socket on my Trophy was only Live when the engine was running,
      which is fine if you only want to check the voltage when the engine is running,
      but I wanted to be able to check the Voltage with the Ignition ON and the engine NOT running.
    • The original connector plug can not be used on the new USB Voltmeter as the spade terminals
      are configured differently - both in-line, compared to the original plug having right anged terminals.
    • I had already provided an Ignition switched connection in the Glove box area,
      powered by a "Fuseblock" installed under the seat, so I added a connection from there for the USB Voltmeter,
      and used the original "Ground" ( Earth ) of the original Cigar Lighter socket, after freeing it from
      its original moulded plug. ( Use a thin blade inserted between one side of the spade terminal
      and the side of the plastic case to release the locking tab, and pull the wire out ).
    • After removing the original Live wire for the Cigar Lighter socket using the same method,
      I was able to carefully tease it out of the rubber shroud,
      then fitted the spade terminal back into the original moulding and taped it up as it would be unused.
    • With the new Power wire and original Ground wire attached to the USB Voltmeter,
      the original rubber shroud stretches nicely over the plastic threaded retaining ring,
      to keep any splashes of water off the terminal contacts.
    • Photos below show the finished installation, the Voltage with Ignition ON ( engine not running),
      and Voltage with the engine running.

Last Edit: Mar 28, 2020, 08.27 pm by Coconut

• Offline Ebenezer   nl

• Trophy Pro  ‐    303

Offline Ebenezer

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '14 TT Lunar Silver
    • City / Town: Apeldoorn
    Re: Changed the Stock Glove Box Power Socket for Voltmeter with USB Po
    Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2017, 08.56 pm
    Aug 23, 2017, 08.56 pm
    Very nice!!!

Henk

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2017, 10.05 am
    Aug 24, 2017, 10.05 am
    Remember when a lot of cars came with volt and amp meters fitted from the factory? I still like the idea of that, what's wrong with a quick indication on how the battery is doing, nice mod. :152:

• Offline Vansflyer

• Trophy Pro  ‐    135

Offline Vansflyer

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE, Thrux R
    • City / Town: In the Middle
    Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2017, 07.38 pm
    Aug 24, 2017, 07.38 pm
    Tidy that.. more useful than a 12v socket. Camera / phone charger and as you said full 12v on the front, back and in the topbox  :008:
    Nice mod.

• Offline Ghostrider25

• Trophy Pro  ‐    207

Offline Ghostrider25

• Trophy Pro
    • Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
    • Bike: Triumph trophy SE
    • City / Town: S. F. Bay Area
    Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2017, 10.18 pm
    Aug 24, 2017, 10.18 pm
    Very nice. I may consider doing this after the "new" wears off. How ever long that may be!
    "The most important thing is to have a good relationship with the bike... you have to understand what she wants. I think of a motorcycle as a woman, and I know that sounds silly, but it's true".  - Valentino Rossi

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2017, 11.56 pm
    Aug 25, 2017, 11.56 pm
    *Originally Posted by earthman [+]
    Remember when a lot of cars came with volt and amp meters fitted from the factory? I still like the idea of that, what's wrong with a quick indication on how the battery is doing, nice mod. :152:

Except it doesn't tell you how the battery is doing, it tells you how the charging system is doing (in other words, it shows you how much voltage the rectifier and by association, the alternator is putting out)...
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2017, 07.21 am
    Aug 26, 2017, 07.21 am
    *Originally Posted by AZBob [+]
    Except it doesn't tell you how the battery is doing, it tells you how the charging system is doing (in other words, it shows you how much voltage the rectifier and by association, the alternator is putting out)...

Yeah I know but that's even better, giving you an early indication of alternator failure.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9947
    • Topic Author

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2017, 08.58 am
    Aug 26, 2017, 08.58 am
    AZBob,

With the engine running it gives an indication of how the alternator is performing,
    but prior to starting the engine I find it useful to see the battery voltage at Iginition switch on,
    which can give an indication of how much the battery may have been discharged
    while the bike has been left standing.

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Mar 28, 2020, 08.26 pm by Coconut

tweedy-bunch