Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] TPMS saves the day  (Read 6127 times)

• Offline RPDATA

• Trophy Pro  ‐    125
    • Topic Author

Offline RPDATA

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2014 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Whitby, ON
    TPMS saves the day
    on: Aug 24, 2017, 09.01 pm
    Aug 24, 2017, 09.01 pm
    I was out for a ride in a pretty remote area when the tire pressure light came on. It was quite a warm day out so I knew the rear tire had been running around 47-48psi, and was now reading 40psi on the screen with the red light on. I knew something was up. I stopped to take a look and sure enough there was a screw securely attached to the tire as if I had drilled it in. I turned back limping towards civilization for 40kms perhaps watching the pressure drop a pound every so often until I reached a GM dealership and tried to weigh my options. By now I was down to 24psi and knew I was pushing my luck and that I would not be going any further.  We decided to plug the hole and it allowed me to ride home. New tire was installed today.

Moral of the story. (1)TPMS is fantastic....without it who knows at what point I would have realized the tire was going flat.  (2) carry a plug kit and some co2 which I will do from now on.

Lesson learned

Rob

• Offline Jeffb   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    259

Offline Jeffb

• Trophy Pro
    • City / Town: Columbus OH
    Re: TPMS saves the day
    Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2017, 11.23 pm
    Aug 24, 2017, 11.23 pm
    When I bought the bike, I didn't think TPMS was that big of a deal.  I've come to appreciate it a lot.  Glad it saved you a big headache.  Something like this is more likely to get the tire to the pressure you want, and you can use it for adjusting pressure on a trip, when all you need is a couple psi.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1P56VG/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i4?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B06Y1P56VG&pd_rd_r=BEM5Q8THZTK87CZNVXE0&pd_rd_w=4voTa&pd_rd_wg=VTAHp&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=PCFFDNPDW0EQVF7B79Y2&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1cf9d009-399c-49e1-901a-7b8786e59436&pf_rd_i=desktop

• Offline HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1323

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2017, 01.08 am
    Aug 25, 2017, 01.08 am
    Rob, a timely warning. One of the reasons I always carry plugs [different sorts] and my Slime compressor on board at all times. I've only had to use them twice, both times on friends tyres. :169:
    HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Offline Bludy L   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1692

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
    Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2017, 02.41 am
    Aug 25, 2017, 02.41 am
    It helped me pick up a slow leak. I discovered a screw in the tire. I topped it up with air and rode to the dealership monitoring the pressure the entire way. It is a big deal.
    My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2017, 09.24 am
    Aug 25, 2017, 09.24 am
    It is a nice feature to have but seriously, how did you guys get on before it had been invented?

I've carried kit to deal with a puncture almost from the very start of my motoring days, some 30+ years ago. Being able to get yourself out of a jam is part of being a vehicle owner, didn't even have mobiles back then so even harder to contact anyone who may be willing to come out to help you.

• Offline Vansflyer

• Trophy Pro  ‐    135

Offline Vansflyer

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE, Thrux R
    • City / Town: In the Middle
    Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2017, 08.14 pm
    Aug 25, 2017, 08.14 pm
    *Originally Posted by earthman [+]
    It is a nice feature to have but seriously, how did you guys get on before it had been invented?

I've carried kit to deal with a puncture almost from the very start of my motoring days, some 30+ years ago. Being able to get yourself out of a jam is part of being a vehicle owner, didn't even have mobiles back then so even harder to contact anyone who may be willing to come out to help you.
    We didn't know we had a puncture 30 years ago until we went round the bend and it let go... and then maybe we fell off! Now we know if we have an issue, just the same as a oil pressure light, fuel low etc... Tpms has saved me twice, both after having a very fast puncture in lane 3 at Motorway speed and loosing one of my nine lives.
    Tpms is fab and should be fitted to everything IMHO.
    Always carry plugs and a compressor but you need to know you have a puncture first to use the stuff.

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2017, 08.28 pm
    Aug 25, 2017, 08.28 pm
    *Originally Posted by Vansflyer [+]
    We didn't know we had a puncture 30 years ago until we went round the bend and it let go... and then maybe we fell off! Now we know if we have an issue, just the same as a oil pressure light, fuel low etc... Tpms has saved me twice, both after having a very fast puncture in lane 3 at Motorway speed and loosing one of my nine lives.
    Tpms is fab and should be fitted to everything IMHO.
    Always carry plugs and a compressor but you need to know you have a puncture first to use the stuff.

I have had a couple of punctures over the years but never fell off! You can normally tell that something isn't right/the handling of the bike is off before it comes to that.

My main fear is a proper blow out but I doubt that you'd have time to do much about it even if the bike does have TPMS.

• Offline Vansflyer

• Trophy Pro  ‐    135

Offline Vansflyer

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE, Thrux R
    • City / Town: In the Middle
    Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2017, 08.37 pm
    Aug 25, 2017, 08.37 pm
    *Originally Posted by earthman [+]
    I have had a couple of punctures over the years but never fell off! You can normally tell that something isn't right/the handling of the bike is off before it comes to that.

My main fear is a proper blow out but I doubt that you'd have time to do much about it even if the bike does have TPMS.
    Funnily enough (not at the time) that is what happened to me.. lane 3 M5 and I hit something. Instant deflation with just enough time to get o the hard shoulder. It was only after I kicked the bike and swore a lot I realised how lucky I was.
    Yes you can tell when it "ain't right " if you have the feel but not everyone does and TPMS is like any other warning light.. it tells you something is wrong. And that can only be a good thing.

tweedy-bunch