Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Right Decision  (Read 7508 times)

• Offline GaryWWhite   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    535
    • Topic Author

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 TTSE Black
    • City / Town: Lees Summit Missouri
    Right Decision
    on: Aug 26, 2017, 02.40 am
    Aug 26, 2017, 02.40 am
    Maybe I shouldn't have joined the Forum because it has really kind of scared me about the purchase of the TTSE.  I see all the problems with this bike and I really am thinking about how to back out of the deal I made and trade for another Triumph like the Bonneville T-120 or even the Rocket III Roadster.  At least they will be around and I know that they will have parts to fix those bikes.  I think I really f'd up!  Hell, you can't even get a mounting bracket for a GPS that is still being manufactured. Also, the info from the dealer indicated or alluded to the fact that it had heated grips and seats.  That should have been the deal breaker; but oh no, I went right ahead and bought the bike.  Maybe it's because of my TBI (subdural hematoma) assisting with this rage, but I am actually scared about whether Triumph will really back their warranties and supply parts like Coconut said in one of his memos for 12 years and am pissed off at myself!!

• Offline Vansflyer

• Trophy Pro  ‐    135

Offline Vansflyer

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE, Thrux R
    • City / Town: In the Middle
    Re: Right Decision
    Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2017, 08.11 am
    Aug 26, 2017, 08.11 am
    Any vehicle can have issues it's how it isn't dealt with. All of the known stuff on the Trophy has been rectified, by law parts must be supplied for at least 10 years after production has stopped. Lots of engine parts are shared with the Explorer and that is still a current model.
    Triumph ain't going anywhere so you can expect support for a long time...
    Enjoy the bike and relax...
    FYI The rocket was discontinued before the Trophy.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9941

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2017, 08.32 am
    Aug 26, 2017, 08.32 am
    Hi Gary,

Sorry to hear that you feel like this  :003:

In reality there are very few probems with the Trophy -
    you have to remember that when someone has a problem,
    they turn to Members Forums to find answers and seek help,
    whereas those owners with NO problems may not ever register on a Forum,
    so we don't get to hear about the MAJORITY of Owners that are more than happy with their Trophy.

That's also true with other Forums, or even Holiday Review sites !

This Forum currently has 2790 Members worldwide,
    and a proportion of those are not even Owners. 

I don't know how many Trophies have been sold in total,
    but you can bet that it is a lot more than the number of Members in here !

Whilst it is fairly common knowledge that Trophy production has stopped,
    we have seen no official announcement of this from Triumph,
    who still advertise it for sale on their web site.

Triumph HAVE said - in writing - that they will continue to support ANY discontinued model
    with Parts and Service for at least 12 years ( in my case that will see my riding days out ! ).
    So that's another 12 years from when Triumph announce it's discontinuance !

Compared with stories we have heard here about experiences with other motorcycle manufacturers,
    in terms of the usual levels of support that can be expected when problems arise,
    Triumph seem to be better than most, with numerous examples of them fixing some problems
    at no cost to Owners, even after warranties have expired.

Of course the Trophy is NOT perfect - no motorcycle is in my opinion,
    but I wouldn't let things like the Sat Nav bracket put you off - how could Triumph
    ( or any other manufacturer ) know that a particular Sat Nav model is going to be discontinued in the future ?
    The Triumph mount is no more than a flat plate with four holes in it, at a fairly "standard" spacing,
    designed to fit into a specific location below the screen, but there are a number of alternatives
    such as RAM mounts, or adapter plates to fit between the Triumph bracket and other devices.

I wish you all the very best for a speedy recovery, and firmly believe that once you get to enjoy
    the experience of riding your new Trophy, you will REALLY appreciate what a fine machine it is,
    and will thoroughly enjoy riding every mile on it !

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Mar 28, 2020, 08.28 pm by Coconut

• Topic Author

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2017, 03.47 pm
    Aug 26, 2017, 03.47 pm
    Hi Coconut,

I am sorry about venting!!  I guess I just got a little nervous as although I got a tremendous deal on the bike I added a lot of extraneous stuff onto the bike for example: extended service plan for 5 years past the factory; a maintenance agreement for 3 years that will take care of everything from oil changes to the regular interval maintenance prescribed by Triumph for 3 years; a GAP policy; a lifetime Simonize treatment for my paint and a tire and road hazard guarantee.  I guess I went nuts!!!  Anyways, all I wanted was to make certain I have no out of pocket expenses except my payment for a long time.

Thank you for your reassurance on my acquisition!  I differ to your expertise and knowledge about the bike.  I am 67 and this may be my last bike also as I will be 73 when paid for.  Hopefully, I will still be in good shape and still able to ride.

Best Regards (and have a great weekend)!  Hey, you know since I am retired everyday is the weekend (lol)!!

Gary

• Topic Author

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2017, 05.23 pm
    Aug 26, 2017, 05.23 pm
    *Originally Posted by Vansflyer [+]
    FYI The rocket was discontinued before the Trophy.

Thanks so much for your response!  I am really relaxed now based on the information you supplied.  I had no idea the Rocket had been discontinued.  Do you have any idea why TTSE was discontinued?

My Best,
    Gary

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4881

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2017, 07.00 pm
    Aug 26, 2017, 07.00 pm
    The most circulated reason in the rumor mill is that sales were lackluster.  Most of us that own one chalk that up to Triumph not advertising/promoting it enough because it's main competitor, the R1200RT costs a substantial amount more for one similarly equipped to a standard Trophy.  The R1200RT is not as smooth as the Trophy either.  It also gets unfairly compared to the K1600, and these two machines are in entirely separate leagues, both in technology and price.  I personally wouldn't go back to a K1600 for any amount of money after owning a Trophy.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Topic Author

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2017, 07.25 pm
    Aug 26, 2017, 07.25 pm
    Hi Trophied,

Again thanks so much for the additional information on this great bike I own!!  Hey, I noted you live in New Braunfels.  I moved there in 1973 for a brief period of time after graduating from college and thoroughly enjoyed the warm air and south Texas hill country.  I found it a beautiful place and recall it being only about 30 miles from San Antonio.

Best Regards and Thanks Again!

• Offline Vansflyer

• Trophy Pro  ‐    135

Offline Vansflyer

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE, Thrux R
    • City / Town: In the Middle
    Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2017, 07.38 pm
    Aug 26, 2017, 07.38 pm
    Triumph spent a fortune on R & D for the Trophy, did zillions of miles on test bikes, made a fantastic tourer with handling that could keep up with a sports bike... and spent zip telling anyone how good it was / is! Best bike Triumph ever made that they kept quiet about.. very sad.
     Relax with the new purchase, its a great bike and puts the German stuff to shame in nearly every way. A mate of mine who owns a new K1600 (22K!!) rode my Se recently and said "it has a nice gearbox & clutch"... and that was after 10 mins...  He has now purchased a T120 to run around on.  :008:

tweedy-bunch