Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Newb interested in SEs  (Read 4634 times)

• Offline Gasser

• Trophy Junior  ‐    5
    • Topic Author

Offline Gasser

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2007 Suzuki GSF1250S
    • City / Town: Austin
    Newb interested in SEs
    on: Aug 30, 2017, 04.57 am
    Aug 30, 2017, 04.57 am
    Hi all,

So just when I thought I've likely settled on a "Gen 3" Yamaha FJR ES ('14-'15 MY) for my next bike, I just noticed how affordable used SEs are, at least in the U.S.  They're comparable in price to similar model year FJRs, even though they went for around 3K more new.  Equally surprising, they seem to be in good supply.

Now before anyone rolls their eyes and says "Great - another SE vs. FJR thread" :016:, I'm not totally ignorant about SEs - just not as knowledgeable about them as with FJRs, so would appreciate any helpful feedback on the specific questions below, especially if you've owned an FJR:

1) I'm 6', 180 lbs., average-wasted with about a 34" inseam.  The FJR,s ergos look very similar to my '07 Suzuki Bandit 1250, while the SE's look more upright - maybe too upright for me.  Can the bars be adjusted to lean you forward a bit?

2) I'm pretty confident the FJR wouldn't be more difficult for me to work on than my Bandit, e.g. oil changes, air filter, coolant and fluid changes, spark plugs, throttle body syncs, valve checks/adjustments.  How's the SE regarding these kinds of maintenance tasks?

3) I have some forward peg mounts on my Bandit that I love because my 60 yo knees need a break from time to time.  Similar peg mounts are available for the FJR.  Does anyone make some for SE's?  I don't want anything that kicks your legs out like cruiser highway pegs - just something that would give me around 95-100 degree extension.

4) Since I'm a daily rider/commuter who's bike is my primary transportation, keeping costs down is important, especially since I want to start touring.  In this regard, the FJR running on regular gas is a big selling point.   Can the SE do so as well? 

5) I know the '13 SEs had issues.  Were they all sorted out by '14, or do I need to consider newer models?  While creature comforts and some electronic rider aids like ABS and traction control are appealing to me, I've never owned a bike with all the bells and whistles of an FJR or SE and that makes my inner Luddite a little nervous.

6) Does the audio system work only with a bluetooth enabled helmet, or are there external speakers?  If so, is the system sufficiently powerful to enjoy at highway speeds with a full-face helmet?

7) I've read where the SE has lots of grunt down low, and that's key for me to enjoy a bike.  My Bandit has it in spades and is one of the things I love most about it.  It rolls on strong from 40 mph in 6th, and I seldom run above 4k rpm unless I'm on the highway.  Is the SE that torquey down low? 

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with these ?s!
    Last Edit: Aug 30, 2017, 04.59 am by Gasser

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Re: Newb interested in SEs
    Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2017, 07.35 am
    Aug 30, 2017, 07.35 am
    First off, you must test ride one yourself, this will answer many questions on the suitability for you, it's the only way to know for sure.

I looked at and test rode an FJR some time ago, for me it doesn't compare to an SE Trophy, it just lacks too many toys, an SE is a proper full blown tourer but with sports bike handling and brakes,....well close enough. Lol
    Last Edit: Aug 30, 2017, 07.36 am by earthman

• Offline GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1309

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2017, 10.08 am
    Aug 30, 2017, 10.08 am
     :400: Gasser and  :821:

I currently have a 2016 SE and had a 2013 version as well, I also rode an FJR for one year 30,000 miles.  I'll answer some of your questions but for sure you need to ride one.

1.  I do not know of any bar adapters to push you forward I'm 6'3" and had to pull them up and back a bit to suit me and ther are some alloy blocks available to do that.

2.  I like the 10,000 mile service intervals which equal more riding time.  Standard maintenance is a breeze.  I do my own brake pads and did an oil change on my 2013 quite easily.  Shims and throttle bodies are above my skill sets so don't know.

3.  I have lower pegs by 1" to ease my knee joints but have only seen Highway Pegs on aftermarket engine bars not seen any slightly forward pegs but having a test ride will let you see what you need to do.

4.  Not sure what 'Regular' gas is in USA but I run on 95 octane in Europe which it seams to like; this is the lowest grade of gas in Europe.  Mine costs me about £0.12 per mile in all gas/tyres/regular maintenance costs which I think is low but a large capacity motorcycle is not a cheap form of transport for that you need a cycle or a Toyota Eygo!

5.  My 2013 was fine at 35,000 miles but it had all of the re-call work done which any dealer can tell if it has be done but as the prices are low I'd go for a 2015 onward as everything was fine from then and no recalls that I know of as they'd all been sorted.

6.  Yes there are pretty good speakers but highway speeds with full face you'll hear the music blaring but I find spoken word tough to listen to in those circumstances.

7.  It is torquey in my view but not like a Harley torquey; it loves to spin and run fast if I'm at 40mph I'd be in fourth and spin her up for an electrifying acceleration up to 70mph and sixth speed.  Neither the FJR or the SE are built for 40 to highway speed in sixth, both will do it but they are 'Sports' Tourers.

Hope this helps but in all these things it is a lot of opinion and like bottoms we all have one!  Go for a test ride but take your money with you as once ridden most buy!

Love, light and kindness,

Dave

Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline Bludy L   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1692

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
    Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2017, 12.43 pm
    Aug 30, 2017, 12.43 pm
    Greetings and welcome to the forum.

At 5í11íí with a 31Ē inseam I canít help you much on #1. I find the bike exceedingly comfortable as is. I have the low seat.

I donít do my on maintenance but so two strikes here.

See number 1. I can do house on the bike as it is set up and the 65 year old knees do just fine.

I run exclusively on 87 octane gas. On a recent trip to Tennessee I did 50-51 mpg.

My í13 was one of the bikes that had the audio module problem where the satellite radio would continue to look for a XM signal when the bike was off thus running down the battery. A software up date fixed the problem. My fork seals began to leak between 20,000 and 30,000 miles, I canít remember exactly when, and were fixed. Other than that at 35,000 miles Iíve just had routine maintenance.

The radio will work with a blue tooth enabled helmet and it has speaker but I use neither.

Itís torquey.

I test rode an FJR during the search process. I found the somewhat upright seating of the TTSE more to my liking than the somewhat more aggressive seating position of the FJR. At the time the FJR didnít offer some of the gadgets that are found on the TTSE. I felt for the price difference it was well worth buying the Triumph.

I hope this info helps you in your quest. Test ride both. Let us know what you decide.
    My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

• Offline Gasser

• Trophy Junior  ‐    5
    • Topic Author

Offline Gasser

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2007 Suzuki GSF1250S
    • City / Town: Austin
    Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2017, 04.05 pm
    Aug 30, 2017, 04.05 pm
    Thanks earthman, GarminDave, and Bludy L!  Very helpful info.  And for those outside the U.S. regular octane is in the 87-ish range, depending on where you are.  Glad to hear TTSEs get good mileage.  Seems comparable or even better to my Bandit's inline-4.

I definitely do plan on riding both, and am hoping my local Triumph/Yamaha dealer gets some in soon.   

• Offline Michel1960

• Trophy Pro  ‐    315

Offline Michel1960

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Quebec
    Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2017, 04.24 pm
    Aug 30, 2017, 04.24 pm
    Regular gas is fine in USA and Canada , I'm getting about 55-60 mpg ( imperial gallon ) , external speakers are ok but when you reach 65 mpg they become pretty useless , bluetooth headset fix all that....big maintenance interval are nice for saving some $$$  but the bigger maintenance is  expensive

lots of power even at low rpm but its not a sport bike

more comfy than anything I have ridden

only real issue on my 2014 was warped disc which were replaced under warranty but I get the feeling the replacement are not gonna last very long

Honda 350 ( old),Suzuki 400 GS 1975
    Yamaha Maxim 750 1983,Yamaha Venture Royale 1984,Honda St1300A 2003
    Bmw K1600GTL 2012
    Triumph Trophy SE 2014

• Offline tdragger   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    584

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Fredericksburg
    Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2017, 04.44 pm
    Aug 30, 2017, 04.44 pm
    I have a 2015 with 30k miles on it now.  I use it primarily for commuting and long distance endurance rallies (aka Iron Butt Association style rides).  I'm 6'0" but really long waisted so I had to install risers to get a better fit.  There are 1" lower pegs available that work quite well.

In the LD world, the dominant machines are the FJR and the BMW RT.  I will contend that the Trophy can outmatch both.  It sits up more than either of the other machines and is more comfortable.  It runs on Regular (vs the RT's premium requirement) and is more fuel efficient than the FJR (just by a few MPGs).  Most other parameters are about equal.

If you are going to be doing serious touring miles, you may be happier with the Trophy over the FJR.  You didn't mention whether you would be two-up or not.  This is where the Trophy will really outdistance the FJR.
    -------------------------------------
    15 Triumph Trophy SE (2019 IBR)
    16 Triumph Trophy SE (2021 IBR)
    IBA #609

• Offline Verdun95   fr

• Trophy God  ‐    2837

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
    • City / Town: by CDG Airport
    Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2017, 05.30 pm
    Aug 30, 2017, 05.30 pm
    welcome aboard  :821:
    I'm convinced a ride test will answer all the questions you still might have, go for it!
    An old biker must be a good rider

tweedy-bunch