Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Tyre pressures again  (Read 3069 times)

• Offline Phil   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    478
    • Topic Author

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: London
    Tyre pressures again
    on: Sep 02, 2017, 06.27 am
    Sep 02, 2017, 06.27 am
    I check my tyres on a regular basis.  I always check them when they are cold and usually in the morning of a ride.   I have a number of pressure gauges all of which give a slightly different reading, by as much as 3 psi,  and none that ever match the TPMS of the SE even allowing for the time it takes for the TPMS to kick in.   

So,  how accurate should I be with the pressures and how much tolerance, if any, should I expect / accept. 

Phil

• Offline nigelrtaylor

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Member  ‐    56

Offline nigelrtaylor

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Member
    Re: Tyre pressures again
    Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2017, 06.40 am
    Sep 02, 2017, 06.40 am
    I would take the mean of all your gauges and the TPMS and find the gauge that is the nearest to it and use that as your standard. 10% is a reasonable tolerance for tyre pressure.

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2017, 08.39 am
    Sep 02, 2017, 08.39 am
    I've collected a few different gauges over the years, typically use more digital type ones nowadays, the one I have on my workshop compressor is bang on with the bikes readout, although none have varied by that much.

I have heard that the old fashioned telescopic metal type gauge is the most accurate, dunno how true that is.

• Offline rpeters549   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    750

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lowell, Or
    Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2017, 06.42 pm
    Sep 04, 2017, 06.42 pm
    Accuracy will be determined by quality control in manufacturing, not by whether it is a dial or push out bar.  I have had good and not so good ones in both styles.
    Year round rider here!

• Offline Ghostrider25

• Trophy Pro  ‐    207

Offline Ghostrider25

• Trophy Pro
    • Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
    • Bike: Triumph trophy SE
    • City / Town: S. F. Bay Area
    Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2017, 07.15 pm
    Sep 04, 2017, 07.15 pm
    I have noticed that the TPMS takes a while to come up. Further, after a good freeway run and then I get off the freeway and get into town the tire pressure light will come on and stay lit for 15 seconds or so and then go out again. Not sure what to make of it, but it never identifies a tire as being low and the pressures are good; the light just cycles. Like I said, I do not know if that is normal or not.
    "The most important thing is to have a good relationship with the bike... you have to understand what she wants. I think of a motorcycle as a woman, and I know that sounds silly, but it's true".  - Valentino Rossi

• Offline CoJaW

• Trophy Pro  ‐    150

Offline CoJaW

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Birmingham
    Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2017, 08.08 pm
    Sep 04, 2017, 08.08 pm
    I compared my favourite pressure gauge against my tyre man's gauge and then used that difference whenever I use my gauge. I've assumed that the tyre man has a more accurate gauge than the ones you buy. The Trophy TPMS is a good indicator of changes, but it shows running pressures whereas Triumph quote cold pressures.
     :028:

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2017, 12.40 pm
    Sep 05, 2017, 12.40 pm
    *Originally Posted by rpeters549 [+]
    Accuracy will be determined by quality control in manufacturing, not by whether it is a dial or push out bar.  I have had good and not so good ones in both styles.

Yes, that's very true. If you do happen to get a good pencil type one then there's less to go wrong compared to a dial or digital, it would probably be better at surviving the odd drop/knock too.

• Offline Shemogolee

• Trophy Member  ‐    74

Offline Shemogolee

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: TTSE2016
    • City / Town: Chilliwack
    Reply #7 on: Sep 06, 2017, 06.24 am
    Sep 06, 2017, 06.24 am
    Hi All,

I use a "pencil" type gauge bought at a local shop. It costs $9.00 Canadian and says it is accurate to within +/- 1 psi. I check pressures cold and adjust as required. When the TPMS first shows pressures it is almost always the same as my gauge as I have not gone far enough to heat the tires. If my tire pressure is out by more than 1 psi from 36/42 I adjust as required. 

best regards, Shemogolee 
    If you're not disciplined enough to apply your knowledge and skills you're an accident looking for a place to happen