Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: USA Extended Warranty  (Read 4359 times)

• Offline Craigmri

• Trophy Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline Craigmri

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Spring Hill
    USA Extended Warranty
    on: Sep 08, 2017, 12.57 am
    Sep 08, 2017, 12.57 am
    Is there a USA based Triumph dealer that has a reputation for offering a discounted extended warranty?

I'm told Triumph themselves don't offer an extended warranty so its left to third party companies.  Cornerstone I'm told is a reputable one.

Craig
    Craig

• Offline karl

• Trophy Pro  ‐    317

Offline karl

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Hampden, MA
    Re: USA Extended Warranty
    Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2017, 06.23 am
    Sep 08, 2017, 06.23 am
    What they are properly known as is service contracts.  They make bags of cash for the sellers.  How risk averse are you?
    The Beast

• Offline ZShyster   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    332

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
    Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2017, 01.27 pm
    Sep 08, 2017, 01.27 pm
    Craigmri,

I bought my 2013 very lightly used but still well within the triumph warranty, however seeing all of the high tech stuff on the bike I looked into the extended warranty that was offered at the Triumph dealer.  I think the company is called RPM and was offered by all of the local Triumph dealers in the Chicago area.  I tried calling all of the dealers within 200 miles and it appeared they all were charging the same price.  I still decided to go with the longest option they offered from my local dealer.

That said, I have been happy with the coverage.  Shortly after the Triumph warranty expired, they replaced the front TPMS, and they are now replacing the rear TPMS under the warranty.  These are just two minor items, but could easily have been rejected as consumables.  My fear is that a significant piece of electronics will go.

Yes, people make money on the insurance, people make money on Bourbon also, but I still buy Bourbon.

I like to fix the cost of ownership as much as I can.  I will change oil, mount my own aftermarket top box, install crash bars, and install my own heated grips, but I can't repair the electronics on this bike, therefore, I chose to purchase the insurance to be sure this bike, that is quickly becoming a piece of history, doesn't also become a paper weight before I am through with it.

This is the best bike I have ever owned, I want to get as much out of it as possible before the repair of it, exceeds its value.

Just the rant and opinion of an old man.  :821:

ZShyster

• Offline Craigmri

• Trophy Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline Craigmri

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2017, 02.11 pm
    Sep 08, 2017, 02.11 pm
    ZShsyer,

Thanks for your reply.  You dont have to justify your decision to me.  Thats not where I want this thread to go.  I am making the decision to purchase an extended warranty for my future Trophy(yet to purchase yet) and looking for feedback from those that have purchased a third party warranty.

I appreciate your feedback very much.  May I ask what the RPM One warranty cost and how long is the coverage?

Craig

*Originally Posted by ZShyster [+]
    Craigmri,

I bought my 2013 very lightly used but still well within the triumph warranty, however seeing all of the high tech stuff on the bike I looked into the extended warranty that was offered at the Triumph dealer.  I think the company is called RPM and was offered by all of the local Triumph dealers in the Chicago area.  I tried calling all of the dealers within 200 miles and it appeared they all were charging the same price.  I still decided to go with the longest option they offered from my local dealer.

That said, I have been happy with the coverage.  Shortly after the Triumph warranty expired, they replaced the front TPMS, and they are now replacing the rear TPMS under the warranty.  These are just two minor items, but could easily have been rejected as consumables.  My fear is that a significant piece of electronics will go.

Yes, people make money on the insurance, people make money on Bourbon also, but I still buy Bourbon.

I like to fix the cost of ownership as much as I can.  I will change oil, mount my own aftermarket top box, install crash bars, and install my own heated grips, but I can't repair the electronics on this bike, therefore, I chose to purchase the insurance to be sure this bike, that is quickly becoming a piece of history, doesn't also become a paper weight before I am through with it.

This is the best bike I have ever owned, I want to get as much out of it as possible before the repair of it, exceeds its value.

Just the rant and opinion of an old man.  :821:

ZShyster
    Craig

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2017, 04.40 pm
    Sep 08, 2017, 04.40 pm
    I bought a service contract with my Trophy. I believe it was $750 for two additional years. I forget the company, it's with my paperwork at home in the safe.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline Craigmri

• Trophy Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline Craigmri

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2017, 04.54 pm
    Sep 08, 2017, 04.54 pm
    Thanks Bob....It seems RPM One is the larger Powersports outfit for these ESC's.  Does anyone have any claims experience with them?

Craig

*Originally Posted by AZBob [+]
    I bought a service contract with my Trophy. I believe it was $750 for two additional years. I forget the company, it's with my paperwork at home in the safe.
    Craig

• Offline BigPoppa

• Trophy Member  ‐    81

Offline BigPoppa

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Antioch
    Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2017, 06.38 pm
    Sep 08, 2017, 06.38 pm
    RPM is the same extended warranty I was sold when I purchased my Trophy. I at least feel better knowing that they seem to be a widely used extended service company.

• Offline cagiva

• Trophy Junior  ‐    9

Offline cagiva

• Trophy Junior
    • Bike: 2014 trophy
    • City / Town: harrisburg/nc
    Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2017, 10.31 pm
    Sep 08, 2017, 10.31 pm
    When I purchased my 2014 in January 2016 (used with 15,154 miles), I also purchased an "RPM one" service contract through the dealer. Before I purchased the bike I had them agree to sell me the service agreement at their cost because I was also concerned about all the electronics. They sold me a 36 month for $799.00. I looked at their cost sheet and it showed the $799.00. I'm sure the finance guy probably received a flat fee, i.e. $50.00 from RPM. I've sold auto service contracts in one of my previous jobs, and felt he was shooting straight. He showed me the MSRP and cost sheet that the business manager (F&I guy) uses, but you never know. Have not had to use it, thank goodness. I usually never buy service contracts, but in this case I did. It does come with roadside assistance if I ever need it. My problem is I don't ride it enough. I only have 18,500 miles on it now. :034:

tweedy-bunch